New User
dinnamg
0 Kudos

File Name Different from Book Name

When we were looking through the book names on the Nook's shelves, some of the book names were different than the file names that were on the computer. The file names were correct, but the names on the Nook were wrong.

The file names are right, but in the shelves they're wrong. For example: the file name on the computer is "Max" but in shelves, it's "Waterwings".

Does anyone know how to fix this by changing the names on the Nook or by another method?

I would appreciate any help you can give me. Please keep the answers simple, as this is my first e-reader, which I got for Christmas, thank you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: File Name Different from Book Name

The book name is in the metadata.  If these are your books, or DRM-free books, you can edit the metadata with the (free) Calibre app.  Just download the app to your computer and use that to edit the file metadata before transferring the file to your nook.

If you're talking about DRM'd books that you've downloaded from B&N (or any book with DRM), you cannot edit the metadata.

Reader 2
mytrivo
0 Kudos

Another program that works for editting metadata of DRM free epubs is

http://code.google.com/p/epub-metadata-editor/

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

As a general rule, the name of the actual file is meaningless.  When you download a book from B&N you normally find it has a name like 9780316192804_epub.v4.epub.  If you get a book from Gutenberg, you'll find it has a numbered filename like pg1342.epub.

If you wish, you can rename the files before copying them to your Nook, but why bother?