Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Firm crosses iPhone with Kindle

Interesting idea here from a Russian company, a standard Android phone on one side, with an e-ink reader screen on the other.

Move over Apple? Firm crosses iPhone with Kindle

bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: Firm crosses iPhone with Kindle

Hmm. One of the naysayers came up with this: "... The additional screen will still use up battery and will be too small for reading, he said, adding that applications for screen could be few and far between."

Since eInk doesn't require power except to refresh, I wonder why he/she thinks this? By offloading more-or-less static info to the eInk display, battery power might well be reduced. I also have to wonder if he/she has tried using a smartphone in daylight?

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

ok, just because the other article was sloppy, let's not perpetuate the sloppiness.  the headline says "iphone" and then talks about a standard "Android."  as if the two were synonymous.  they are not the same.  they are both smartphones, yes, but that's all.  For example, would you mention "Coke" in a headline and then go on to talk about a "Pepsi" product?   

Let's not forget, we're talking Apples and Androids here....

I'm just sayin.....

Jeremy

bobstro

Well, they're not really using a Kindle as the basis for the eInk part either. I think they just chose commonly known names so the general public would understand it.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

Well, they're not really using a Kindle as the basis for the eInk part either. I think they just chose commonly known names so the general public would understand it.

Right.  The headline wouldn't work as good if it said "Android with e-ink".

bobstro
0 Kudos

I'm sure that would be translated in some language to the equivalent of "robot with ink-stained fingers".

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:

bobstro wrote:

Right.  The headline wouldn't work as good if it said "Android with e-ink".

I wasn't criticing the use of the word "Kindle."  it is somewhat acceptable to identify a generic product, i.e., and e-ink reader by one of its famous brands, such as Kindle.  The problem is with using "iphone."  in this case there are two major categories of smart phones, Androids and Apples.  The article went on to talk about and Android phone, not an Apple product.

"Android meets Kindle"

"Android phone crossed with Kindle"

would both work and get the point across.

Further, readers who are interested enough in the original title to read the article are probably the ones who are savvy enough to understand the above titles as well.

Jeremy

bobstro

I suspect the title was chosen specifically to draw potential readers who aren't technically savvy enough to make the distinction. Most folks still ask about my iPad, even though my device is clearly not an iPad. B&N employees have often noted that people will come into their stores and ask about Kindles.

roustabout
0 Kudos

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/09/04/ifa-2013-alcatel-unveils-one-touch-hero-with-awesome-e-ink-c...

wow - a variation on this from a company I've heard of. 

The alcatel offering will have

- 6 inch lcd on the main phone

- stylus

- flip cover with integrated e-ink reading surface

- bluetooth handoff to a companion, smaller phone

I don't think this is a put-on.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
bobstro
0 Kudos

So now phones are so big that they need accessory handsets so you don't look silly using them! Still, an interesting idea with a removable eInk cover.

keriflur
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

So now phones are so big that they need accessory handsets so you don't look silly using them!

This is why so many companies are working on smartwatches.

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure I'll feel any less silly with my wrist held up to my ear! 

A headset is an options, along with a bag full of charging paraphernalia. A phone that's almost  but not quite, the right size for a tablet and a phone handset to make it usable as a phone. Why not a 7 inch tablet and a feature phone with days of battery life? 

Must go double check the date to make sure it wasn't April 1st. Or the Onion. 

The eInk cover accessory is a great idea. I just wouldn't want that phone to stick it on! So would an eInk NOOK that can act as an accessory to another device, yet be removed for outdoor/lightweight/battery frugal reading work? Sync the currently open book to the last book read on the mothership  device, and you can reduce complexity and cost. Let me sync my itinerary to it, and I can leave the big device in my bag during flights.