Inspired Correspondent
cfbush2000
0 Kudos

Fishbowl (Image Viewer) for NOOKcolor

In a previous discussion someone brought up Fishbowl, and a few others agreed, as a good image viewer.  So I emailed the Development Team | Little Fat Fish to see if a NC version is in the works.

Here is the answer I received today:

"Hi Chuck,

Thanks for writing and we appreciate your support.  We have others wrote in about the same and are still working on that.  We recently found that the Nook Color has a bit less feature than a normal Android device.  In particular, the media scanner to add photos is missing from the device, which will impact some functionality of our app.  We are trying to figure out what's the best way to handle that.  We may need to cut a separate build of the app with less features to address that specifically which will likely add to time & cost if we were to do that.  Check back in a month and I should have more update on this."

The email address is :  app-support@littlefatfish.com if you would like to encourage them.

Chuck
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Re: Fishbowl (Image Viewer) for NOOKcolor

Thank you for sharing. I think we all need to send an email.

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

I am not familiar with Fishbowl, but I just wanted to second the suggestion that if you ever find a problem with a program, contact the developer. They actually do love to hear from people who use their software/apps and like constructive feedback on how to make their product better. I've received great responses every time I have contacted a developer directly.

I am an internet developer and a true geek at heart. I know how much fellow nerds LOVE a challenge too - so make any suggestions you can think of to them for future developments as well.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The beta looks nice on my NC.  I probably should have stopped and read the first page of instructions but instead just started playing. 

However, it SWILLS battery.  I went from 40% charge to "not enough juice to power on" in about 5 minutes.  I'm actually not 100% that that's accurate on the consumption - I was not noticing a low battery warning before i tried a reboot.  Of course, if it's not accurate it's even more of an, um, interesting artifact, that it can set a low battery flag at boot time! 

If you have photos on your /media directory -- copied to "My Nook Color" from your computer - it can see them. 

It doesn't seem to think there are an images on my sdcard.  That's a little odd, but it may also be that it'll be happier once I can get the device up. 

Ruh roh.  A hard power button press and I've gone from "you can't boot up" to "go ahead, make my day, boot."  But I'm boot looping off the internal OS and now CM 7 is reporting not enough battery as well. 

So I'm thinking swills battery is accurate, or worse still a very low-level firmware flag got set. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
roustabout
0 Kudos

Hm.  the device started to spontaneously boot, and boot loop, when connected to power. 

I stuffed in the CM7 card because the internal system can't finish starting.  The battery is at 19% now, so I'd say yes, this little app can indeed suck battery like the proverbial chrome off a trailer hitch. 

Now to go in via sshd and see about extracting that file. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
roustabout
0 Kudos

And it looks like it's reinstall the OS time unless someone tells me in the next 30 seconds or so what it means when a manually nooted NC gets through the Nook Color animation twice, then starts continuing on but halts on Nook CO and then loops. 

Loverly. 

Yep, I've gotten rid of the app by jumping in via CM7 and nuking it, as well as looking at /system/app on the emmc as long as I was there. 

I've wiped the cache and reinstalled the kernel - I think this is something subtle in /data, and I know precious little about Android at the level of t/s for startup errors in /data. 

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,240
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Anytime the thing loops, you can go back to a fresh install state (without changing the OS, if it's the B&N OS) by just reformatting /data and /cache (via ClockworkRecovery).

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Yeah, I'm hoping to dig the bits out of /data that are making trouble, without having to wipe and reinstall... 

Still hoping, actually - I can't get nano in cyanogen to work, so I'll check the permissions on

what seem to be important files here, /data/system/ packages.list and packages.xml and kill the fishbowl refs in them.  

(a few minutes I"ll never see again later...)

Ah well, wipe data and restore.  C'est la vie. 

Inspired Correspondent
j-andersonjma
0 Kudos

It is now September of 2011 - has anyone sideloaded this program to a Nook Color?  Does it work, how did you get the application from the Android Market to the Nook Color?

Inspired Correspondent
j-andersonjma
0 Kudos

Re: Fishbowl (Image Viewer) for NOOKcolor Update October 7 2011

I received and e-mail from the development team yesterday.  Seems that Fishbowl will be available as a paid App on the B&N App Store soon. 

"Thank you for your support.  Our release of Fishbowl App on the Nook Color 1.2+ is just around the corner, barring any last minute surprises.  We've decided to make it a paid app and will included a few "extras" that are not available in the free Android market version.  Nook Color users will get to use them first."
After reviewing the capabilities of this program as listed on their web site, I am very interested in buying and using this App.  It is about time! 

Inspired Correspondent
j-andersonjma
0 Kudos

Re: Fishbowl (Image Viewer) for NOOKcolor Update October 28 2011

Photo Gallery (Fish bowl) is available on the B&N App Store.  It is an excellent App.

New User
ousterj
0 Kudos

Re: Fishbowl (Image Viewer) for NOOKcolor Update October 28 2011

I've been waiting for an app like this since I bought the Nook Color.  Fish Bowl has made my NC twice as useful. The NC display is great and my friends are blown away when I show them my photos.

It takes a bit of time to learn how to use all the features but it's worth it. I highly recommend Fish Bowl Photo Gallery.

Inspired Correspondent
j-andersonjma
0 Kudos

Fishbowl 0.3.2 np is avilable at the B&N App Store  02/01/2012  This is a free upgrade for current users.