Frequent Contributor
jfender
0 Kudos

Re: Flash player not supported in HD/HD+

I am also trying to viewa video I purchased from Amazon. I get the initial error that the flash player is not installed and a button to tap to go to a page to download. Upon tapping that button, I sent to this URL where I'm given no further options: http://www.adobe.com/m/cdc/android.html Thoughts? Suggestions? Am I going to have to register to get this working?
Bibliophile
5ivedom

Just try what is recommended in the earlier emails.

Go to a website like Facebook that uses Flash. You'll see a message to download flash player. Download and install it.

Try this link - http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

or the other links listed in this thread.

The issue is that Adobe has turned off Flash support for Android. So you'll have to trick their website by trying a few different links to the flash player download and by trying a few times.

Contributor
Tia_Night
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks this worked best. The addon is in the store it just is not called "flash player" it is called "Browser Plugin" :-)
So if we just do the search for browser plugin we would be good.

Frequent Contributor
Lulugirl28
0 Kudos

I clicked on this link but didn't see anything that said flash or flash player. What do I choose ? Thanks!
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

1) Try to search for 'browser plugin' as the other poster suggested.

2) You can download Dolphin and Puffin browsers. One of them (perhaps Dolphin) now comes with a Flash Player in-built.

Reader
KittyDigitize
0 Kudos

I have the Flash app on my HD+ and it works great! I went to a site that had flash and it prompted me to download Adobe Flash... did this and thats all she wrote! Haven't looked back. There is an app/browser plug-in.
Contributor
clay_nook
0 Kudos

Which site did you go to?  Was this before or after the Google/Chrome software update?

Thanks for any help.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

I got our HD+s after the addition of the Google stuff, and the only way I've found to easily add Flash to the device is via the  Puffin browser in the B&N app store. None of the other browsers I've tried have seemed to work, and all the sites I've visited have simply taken me to s page on Adobe's site that says Flash isn't supported on my device.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

TnTexas wrote:

I got our HD+s after the addition of the Google stuff, and the only way I've found to easily add Flash to the device is via the  Puffin browser in the B&N app store. None of the other browsers I've tried have seemed to work, and all the sites I've visited have simply taken me to s page on Adobe's site that says Flash isn't supported on my device.

But the Puffin browser works with Flash? 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Distinguished Correspondent
celandinehobbit

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

TnTexas wrote:

But the Puffin browser works with Flash? 

Yes, definitely. It costs $3 through the BN store, but it's definitely worth it for me to have Flash back once again in my browser. 

Wordsmith
TnTexas

Yes, Puffin apparently has Flash. It's the only browser I've found that will play Amazon's videos. All the others (Dolphin, Firefox, Opera, and a couple of others) told me they couldn't play the videos because Flash wasn't installed on the device.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Good to know, I had a customer call about not being able to watch Flash stuff the other day.  I really wish B&N would stop breaking things and keeping their employees in the dark about work arounds.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Wordsmith
TnTexas

I don't think this one was B&N's fault other than making Chrome (a non-Flash supported browser) the default browser. My understanding is that Adobe's the one who pulled support for Flash from mobile devices. Don't know why, but they did.

In light of that, how long Puffin will keep Flash support is anyone's guess, but it's there at the moment. The only other workaround I know of (at least for Amazon's videos) is an app called Play On. It works in conjuction with your desktop and allows you to watch videos from several sights when you're on the go - only drawback is that you have to keep your computer running while you're away or the app doesn't work.

patgolfneb

TNTexas is right. Adobe stopped supporting mobile devices over a year ago and is winding down desktop support after originally announcing desktop was ending and backing off. The criticism should rightly should be of websites and streaming sites that have failed to adopt newer standards, not device and browser providers.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

TnTexas, thanks for the tip about PlayOn. That might be the only solution once Flash support in Android dies completely. Which might not be that far off in the distance.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

patgolfneb wrote:
TNTexas is right. Adobe stopped supporting mobile devices over a year ago and is winding down desktop support after originally announcing desktop was ending and backing off. The criticism should rightly should be of websites and streaming sites that have failed to adopt newer standards, not device and browser providers.

Its a bit harsh to criticize streaming websites whose content providers insist on video DRM for not adopting HTML5 when HTML5 DRM standards are not yet in place. "Failure to adopt newer standards" is not really a failure when those newer standards are not yet ready for prime time.

For all of the sites where I use streaming flash video on the Nook Color, there's an app in GooglePlay for playing that video without using the browser ... and normally the app performs more smoothly than the flash player.

However, its handy to know that if its an issue, there's an available browser that includes a flash player.

Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur

It's entirely fair to criticize and/or abandon sites relying on a problematic and outmoded proprietary standard like Flash, which has been declared insupportable even by its parent company. A failure to focus on DRM can also be seen as a willingness to focus on usability, which DRM actively inhibits. It's the media companies, not the sites or standards, which are failing to get "ready for primetime."

Reader 4
nikkidragon
0 Kudos

lease don't lie to other readers...  Adobe offers Flash for Android.  Barnes & Noble intentionally made it impossible to install.  It is possible to download flash directly from Adobe's site and install on other Andoid devices.  It was forceably made impossible to install on Nook HD by disabling the ability to install apps that don't come directly from GooglePlay.

keriflur

nikkidragon wrote:

lease don't lie to other readers...  Adobe offers Flash for Android.  Barnes & Noble intentionally made it impossible to install.  It is possible to download flash directly from Adobe's site and install on other Andoid devices.  It was forceably made impossible to install on Nook HD by disabling the ability to install apps that don't come directly from GooglePlay.

Adobe NO LONGER offers flash for Android for any new installations.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Nikkidragon, Keriflur is right.

Adobe has stopped Flash for Android. So all you can get are old versions. Most websies have updated and won't work.

Only solution is to get Puffin Browser that works with Flash websites.

Nothing B&N can do. Adobe ended support.