Reader
TeachCO

Re: Flash player not supported in HD/HD+

Just spoke with a helpful tech.  I need to watch video clips for a class, which need Flash Player.  Go into Apps and download Puffin (free).  Once this is downloaded, you can open it, go to the website you need, and the video clips open easily.  She also told me to keep checking for updates as Nook is fixing the Flash Player issue in Google Chrome.  Puffin seems to work perfect.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

I don't know about the HD/HD+, but for my phone the Flash incompatibility was due to the update to the latest version of Android for it (4.1.1 aka Jelly Bean). Neither Chrome nor the factory browser will display Flash, but that is because the OS prevents downloading it. Didn't have it on their before, so I'm not sure if it had been installed before the update whether the OS would block its running.

Still, websites need to get it together and transition out of Flash. Too many mobile devices do not support it.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Android has dropped Flash support. Or rather Adobe has dropped Flash support for Android.

Somehow, Puffin manages to make it work. So Puffin browser should work.

New User
HappyFL
0 Kudos

I just bought Nook HD+, installed Dolphin browser, then searched in the app store for "browser plugin" which is Flash player plugin in disguise. Both the Dolphin icon and browser plugin icon will appear in your Apps. Started Dolphine and searched for the web site I knew had flash videos ( it was an educational course I am taking). Everything worked perfectly! Voila!

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

HappyFL: I just bought Nook HD+, installed Dolphin browser, then searched in the app store for "browser plugin" which is Flash player plugin in disguise. Both the Dolphin icon and browser plugin icon will appear in your Apps. Started Dolphine and searched for the web site I knew had flash videos ( it was an educational course I am taking). Everything worked perfectly! Voila!

Which store did you look in? B&N's or Google's? I ask because neither a search for "Dolphin Browser" nor a search for "browser plugin" brought up an app that matched the description for me. Can you provide a link to it?

Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat
0 Kudos

I show it as available in both - would recommend the GoPS version because of the numerous add-ons, esp the Reader if you liked Article View in the old stock browser. Recent reviews indicate problems with Flash support in 6/3 update have been fixed.

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Swamprat: I show it as available in both - would recommend the GoPS version because of the numerous add-ons, esp the Reader if you liked Article View in the old stock browser. Recent reviews indicate problems with Flash support in 6/3 update have been fixed.

I found an app for the Dolphin browser itself in both stores, but I didn't find one in either for a flash plugin for it - at least not an obvious one. The flash plugin was what I was wondering about. I can't find one for it either store.

As for the Dolphin browser, it may work again for devices that already had it installed on them before the update, but it still doesn't work on devices that installed it after the update - or it doesn't appear to on my HD+ (bought during the Mother's Day sale last month).. I just installed it from both B&N's store and then from Google Play; and both times when I tried to watch one of my videos at Amazon, it told me that I needed to install Flash before I could view it. Dolphin's still a good browser, no doubt; but it doesn't appear to contain Flash anymore. The Puffin browser on the other hand (at least the one from B&N) plays the video without any problems.

Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat
0 Kudos

TnTexas wrote:

Swamprat: I show it as available in both - would recommend the GoPS version because of the numerous add-ons, esp. the Reader if you liked Article View in the old stock browser. Recent reviews indicate problems with Flash support in 6/3 update have been fixed.

I found an app for the Dolphin browser itself in both stores, but I didn't find one in either for a flash plug-in for it - at least not an obvious one. The flash plugin was what I was wondering about. I can't find one for it either store.

As for the Dolphin browser, it may work again for devices that already had it installed on them before the update, but it still doesn't work on devices that installed it after the update - or it doesn't appear to on my HD+ (bought during the Mother's Day sale last month).. I just installed it from both B&N's store and then from Google Play; and both times when I tried to watch one of my videos at Amazon, it told me that I needed to install Flash before I could view it. Dolphin's still a good browser, no doubt; but it doesn't appear to contain Flash anymore. The Puffin browser on the other hand (at least the one from B&N) plays the video without any problems.

AFAIK, there is no "plug-in" for Flash support in the Dolphin browser - it appears to be included in the browser app.  There have been other posts indicating that the Puffin browser is the only one that is able to play Amazon videos - I can't comment on this since I don't have access to any.  I would be interested to know if the current version of Dolphin works for other sites that require Flash - I have tried several that come up when searching for "test flash" and they seem to work, but I have had mine installed for months and don't seem to have gotten the update.  Have you tried Dolphin on other sites?  Would be interested in the results.

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

Samprat: AFAIK, there is no "plug-in" for Flash support in the Dolphin browser - it appears to be included in the browser app.

I only mentioned a flash plugin for Dolphin because the poster before me (HappyFL)  mentioned finding and installing one for it - or at least one that was compatible with it.

I would be interested to know if the current version of Dolphin works for other sites that require Flash - I have tried several that come up when searching for "test flash" and they seem to work, but I have had mine installed for months and don't seem to have gotten the update.  Have you tried Dolphin on other sites?  Would be interested in the results.

I'd be willing to check it out for you if someone can give me a site of two to test. I'm not sure what sites still require Flash which ones have transitioned to something else.

Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat
0 Kudos

TnTexas wrote:

Samprat: AFAIK, there is no "plug-in" for Flash support in the Dolphin browser - it appears to be included in the browser app.

I only mentioned a flash plugin for Dolphin because the poster before me (HappyFL)  mentioned finding and installing one for it - or at least one that was compatible with it.

I would be interested to know if the current version of Dolphin works for other sites that require Flash - I have tried several that come up when searching for "test flash" and they seem to work, but I have had mine installed for months and don't seem to have gotten the update.  Have you tried Dolphin on other sites?  Would be interested in the results.

I'd be willing to check it out for you if someone can give me a site of two to test. I'm not sure what sites still require Flash which ones have transitioned to something else.

I have the same problem - I don't know of a site that specifically requires flash and have not updated to the latest version of Dolphin to see if it still/now works.

Reader 4
liondogs
0 Kudos

TeachCO wrote:

Just spoke with a helpful tech.  I need to watch video clips for a class, which need Flash Player.  Go into Apps and download Puffin (free).  Once this is downloaded, you can open it, go to the website you need, and the video clips open easily.  She also told me to keep checking for updates as Nook is fixing the Flash Player issue in Google Chrome.  Puffin seems to work perfect.

It is interesting you say Puffin works perfect.  I can download Puffin to my Nook HD and when I watch an Amazon Prime movie the video plays fine but the audio is out of sync with the video.  Is there some setting I am not aware of that gets the audio to sync with the video?

New User
cattledogit
0 Kudos

If it's like Skyfire, or at least Skyfire 4.x, Puffin doesn't use a flash plugin. Skyfire "renders requested web page on a proprietary server and relays it to the browser on the end user's mobile phone which displays the content." (from Wikipedia)

This could explain the delayed audio and less than smooth video.

Reader
CrafterJM
0 Kudos

Anyone know of a work around for using a nook HD+ and viewing magazines purchased on Zinio?  It is coming up requesting adobe flash 10 which isn't supported.  I have downloaded dolphin and Puffin (which does have flash) but the zinio site wants Flash 10.  Any ideas?

Wordsmith
TnTexas

The Zinio app from the Google Play Store works fine on my HD+. Use it, maybe?

Reader
CrafterJM
0 Kudos

Thank you TnTexas.  I have been back and forth and thought I'd tried opening Zinio after I had previously downloaded the app.  I must have been still trying to open it from the website instead.  It works using the app.  Thank you again.

Inspired Correspondent
Fat_Old_Guy
0 Kudos

The newest android store update for the Dolphin Browser has flash added back in.

Reader 4
cajunlibra

Going to flash websites did not work for me. The nook is not a Mac OSX device. I did have an android phone prior to Adobe dropping support for mobile android, so I already had the flashplayer in my play store purchased apps. I went into the play store and found the flash player in my list of purchased apps via the nook HD+. I installed it and it now works in Chrome. If you were lucky enough to have done that then this is a viable solution for you.
New User
ACH79
0 Kudos

You can install the archived version of Adobe Flash Player: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html

It is a giant complicated process to install but worked fine for me with an hour to spare and some patience.

Follow these instructions to sideload the Flash Player App from the above website:

https://nookdeveloper.zendesk.com/entries/21943338-nook-developer-start-up-guide#_Sideloading

New User
scotsd
0 Kudos

So how can you watch TV on you're nook hd+ ?  I watch CBS,NBC,ABC shows on my lap top would like to watch on nook  what do I need to down load to do that? 

Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat
0 Kudos

scotsd wrote:

So how can you watch TV on you're nook hd+ ?  I watch CBS,NBC,ABC shows on my lap top would like to watch on nook  what do I need to down load to do that? 

Have you tried ghe apps for CBS and NBC?  ABC  can b e accessed through a browser - my version of Dolphin supports flash, but I'm not sure the current version does. I believe the paid version of Puffin includes flash support and possibly others do as well (Firefox, Opera, etc.)