Wordsmith
Melissa19
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Flash player not supported in HD/HD+

[ Edited ]

Just spoke with  a regional manager who confirmed Flash Player will not be supported on Nook HD or HD+. Keep in mind that this is not necessarily a B&N decision; rather, Adobe is focusing on HTML5 video playback. As web standards change, so do the devices.

Melissa19
Frequent Contributor
geertm

Re: Flash player not supported in HD/HD+

Adobe has ended the development of Flash for Android.

New tablets (including the new Kindle Fire tablets) will no longer support flash.

http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalmedia/2012/06/impact-on-android-video-delivery/

Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes
0 Kudos

Does this mean youtube won't work on the HD devices?

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

I expect YouTube will still work, as it works on my N7 in Chrome, which does not support flash. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Websites have known this was coming for some time. Apple has onlys supported flash intermittently. I don't think this will be a big deal. Their are tools to implement HTML5 instead. Their will be some laggards, and their will still be issues, and bugs but probably fewer than with flash.
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Rignes wrote:

Does this mean youtube won't work on the HD devices?

YouTube works on ipad which doesn't support flash.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes
0 Kudos

That makes sense.  Thanks.

Contributor
KittyTea
0 Kudos

I downloaded the Flash player so I could watch a German soap opera. Works fine.
Wordsmith
Melissa19
0 Kudos

You Tube works great on the HD+, better than on my PC, and the screen quality is amazing. Love this nook!
Melissa19
Inspired Contributor
Gottaluvit
0 Kudos

Isn't youtube  running the mobile site on the HD + which is html5 ?

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

patgolfneb wrote:
Websites have known this was coming for some time. Apple has onlys supported flash intermittently. I don't think this will be a big deal. Their are tools to implement HTML5 instead. Their will be some laggards, and their will still be issues, and bugs but probably fewer than with flash.

The biggest issue will be DRM. Lots of video rights owners will not licensed above 360p without DRM. Since HTML5 does not have DRM support (as of yet, whether or not it will is up in the air), that's normally handled with apps on devices without Flash.

B&N would need to get aggressive in chasing Android apps for licensed video content that the developer does not push to get into the Nook app store, and that seems like it would be a substantial change of policy.

Inspired Contributor
Gottaluvit

Found out that flash is not built in browser ... just shop off your nook and download flash app from store . Enable plug in as needed.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes

For some reason the Flash player does not appear for me whenI search the shop.  I went to Facebook and logged out.  On their login page there was a flash movie.  I clicked it to start playing and it gave me a button to download flash player.  When prompted I chose Shop.  Then it came up and I was able to download it.  Now it appears in my Nook library.

I'm not sure why this isn't make a little easier but that's how it worked for me.

Contributor
Deac-
0 Kudos

Thanks Rignes. Worked just as described.   i was trying with the Dolphin browser which I find much better but the shop option didn't come up  Built in browser did the trick.  no problems with flash vids now

Contributor
drol343
0 Kudos

Hey, thanks for not only a solutions... but the detail on how to do it. Very helpful! Worked for me.

Frequent Contributor
cindylee60
0 Kudos

I got Flash to work pretty well too...but I can only download ver 11.1. There's a Facebook game I want to play that requires 11.2 or later (sad face). But oh well.

Inspired Correspondent
karmamule
0 Kudos

I greatly enjoy the subversive pleasure of watching Amazon Prime instant video on my HD+.  The ease of use and quality once Flash is installed is surprisingly good.

(And trying to view a video on Amazon Prime is an easy way to get flash installed too, because when you try to view one it helpfully brings up a link to download flash from that works like a charm)

Regard all phenomena as dreams.
New User
scanlan1
0 Kudos

I have to ask a dumb question. I just received my HD+ and was suprised to see that i couldn't get my AMAZON library videos to run without the Flash Player.

Please give me a more detailed procedure for getting flash to install.

When on the amazon site, i am give three choices to install, but i can't get these to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I also went to a B&N store today, and the tech person was aware of this issue, however, she said it would be updated by B&N in the near future.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Via Gottaluvit:

This link should take you to the download . If you have trouble reboot . In settings where it ask about enable plug ins put on demand .... that will allow you to only use flash when you need it . There will be an arrow and you just touch that and it starts your flash app . No slow down on other web pages that have those flash ads ..

http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/mobile._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_mobiledevices.html

New User
scanlan1

Thank you for the help.

I got this to work only after i erased & deregistered the device ( i assume this what you  refer as "reboot" ).

******** FOR THE CRIMINALLY STUPID ( LIKE ME ) ***************

Anyway, when you go to this site ( adobe.com ) and tap the flash player link, IF YOU DON"T SEE the shop menu, you have to erase & deregister, then try it again.

Thank you for the help