Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

Form letter for tantrum posts

I roll my eyes and laugh whenever I see yet another tantrum post.  They are so predictable that I wonder if it would be more efficient if the writers just used a standard format:

Opening: B&N, YOU SUCK! [This establishes the tone and level of intelligence of the post to follow.]

Choose one of the following options:

A) I bought a Nook without doing any research on it, and now I find that it doesn't do what I think it should do.  You should have read my mind and made a device that does everything I want it to do.  And made it cheaper, too.

B) I bought a Nook three years ago, and now there are new Nooks that are better than my old Nook.  This is NOT FAIR!  You should make my old Nook do everything the new ones do at no cost to me and with no effort on my part.

Closing: I am going to stomp off and buy a Kindle and/or iPad and/or Nexus. So there!

Frequent Contributor
eaglewomanEP
0 Kudos

Re: Form letter for tantrum posts

Wow I agree, it wasn't so pitiful it would be funny.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,312
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You forgot the "I ran over my Nook with my car, and you would't give me a brand new warranty replacement" (no extended damage warranty purchased).

On the XDA forums there is an equivalent:

Someone posts a question on the forum, usually in the middle of the night in the USA.  Often the message subject is preceded by the word "URGENT" or some such.

Three hours later, the OP posts a second message effectively complaining that no one has replied to help him.

There's a common thread between the two behaviors ...

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

DeanGibson wrote:

On the XDA forums there is an equivalent:

Someone posts a question on the forum, usually in the middle of the night in the USA.  Often the message subject is preceded by the word "URGENT" or some such.

Three hours later, the OP posts a second message effectively complaining that no one has replied to help him.

Three hours?  Wow, the people on XDA are laid-back.  I'm in a forum for a Google product and, I think, the current record is 3 MINUTES (not counting the many double/tripple-posts we see each day from people that can't wait for their browser to refresh so they ask the same question again and again but aren't all "why isn't SOMEONE answering?" yet)

DeanGibson

The perils of IRC and Darwin

[ Edited ]

Byteguy wrote:
...  I'm in a forum for a Google product and, I think, the current record is 3 MINUTES ...

We live in an age of immediacy.  It all started on the Internet with IRC, but that was pretty obscure among the public until AOL's instant messaging, followed by MSN messenger.  Now, for those too impatient to go to a computer, we now have the ultimate:  SMS text messaging.  Go ahead, do it while you are driving;  Darwin's theories need more valid data.

What was wrong (except for the spam problem) with eMail?  You sent your message and then waited IN LINE like every other American.  After all, the recipient just might have a life.

I can understand this frantic desire for immediacy (not to be confused with conversational intimacy) among mental teenagers.  However, I now see new projects being started by what I thought were mature adults, where the real "in group" communicates on IRC.

Distinguished Correspondent
cgsmom
0 Kudos

Re: The perils of IRC and Darwin

I must be getting old. I had to Google "What is IRC?" 

I have you know, I check Facebook once a week, whether I need to or not.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

DeanGibson wrote:

You forgot the "I ran over my Nook with my car, and you would't give me a brand new warranty replacement" (no extended damage warranty purchased).

This made me recall one of my favorite rants.  Guy was really steamed that BN wouldn't replace his Nounfolded er the standard warranty.  It was broken when his 2 year old stepped on it, it was under a pile of clothes on a chair.  When someone pointed out that the standard warranty covered normal wear and tear his response was that he believed this was normal wear and tear.  

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Lol, I remember that guy.  He was pretty adamant that any electronic device sold should be able to withstand the weight of a toddler stepping on the screen.

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Lol, I remember that guy.  He was pretty adamant that any electronic device sold should be able to withstand the weight of a toddler stepping on the screen.

This is why Nooks should have cameras.

Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed

Re: The perils of IRC and Darwin

IRC, SMTP/POP3, NNTP, and FTP, are quite sufficient.

I spent a year looking for a job a d even after buying two books about LinkedIn did not join. Twitter and Facebook don't have a toehold for me.

Baron Wulfraed