Contributor
lonerchick
0 Kudos

Free Apps

The Nook needs some free apps. The same apps are free for users of other tablets and the kindle.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Re: Free Apps

lonerchick wrote:

The Nook needs some free apps. The same apps are free for users of other tablets and the kindle.

They're not really free, they are just paid for using ads.  The B&N Apps are ad free, which is why you have to pay for them.  The developers have to make money somehow, and if it's not through ads, then it's through payment.   The alternative is to allow ad based Apps.  I'd rather pay a couple of bucks for an App with no ads.

Contributor
lonerchick
0 Kudos

Condering these thingds don't always work , I would rather be able to try them for free before spending money. I don't mind paying for things, I just want to make sure they work and I don't want a headache getting my money back if they don't.

Frequent Contributor
roxmysoxGA
0 Kudos

There a lot of apps that only cost .99, and even the most popular apps like Angry Birds sell for as little as $2.99.  Most people blow more than that on a cup of coffee. Check out the reviews before you buy.  If you really must have free apps, consider rooting or setting up a bootable CM7 sd card to give you access to the Android Market.

Inspired Contributor
catarific
0 Kudos

I cannot tell you how many apps I have paid for and have deleted - many!!  I wish the developers would give you a sample free app with just a few examples of what the app is so that you can decide if you really want to purchase the full app.  I know that some games like find the difference has tons of free apps - which give a sample of what the app does.  Plus, Apps do take up more space on the Nook - so choosing the ones you really want to keep can be a deciding factor - having a sample would be a great thing.

Correspondent
Yatta99

About the best thing you can do now is if you see an interesting app, go over to the android market and see if it's there too. Usually there is more information on the app, more (and better) reviews, and several screen shots. You won't be able to get it from there but the information from there can be helpful.

Frequent Contributor
thatdbaclk
0 Kudos

Being an IT Person... the last suggestion is great. But getting in on Free App even with "ADs" allows you the opportunity to get a feel for how it works and do you really want/need the App!

Rule of thumb for any Computing Device (in particular android OS):

1. Decided on what type of App your are after (what do you want it to do)

2. Do Some Research on even if you can install it on Your Device (without ROOTING if devices is NC).

3. Use the Web...Android Market and yes even Amazon to see what is out there for your device, even if B&N does not have it in their Store! You gain insight on Software Developers/Company Logo that could produce quality Apps with support! That you can side-load or may eventually show up on B&N Market!

Most Free Apps are not the final version....and someday may not be free! I like them better then Trail Apps in most cases since you have an opportunity to see how it evolves before you have to pay for it! If you are lucky any suggestions you make on new functionality will be applied and you get a free copy of the PAID version just because you went along for the ride (Developer get's the use of a Tester and Quality Assurance)!

B&N from what I reviewed thus far did not open their device up for one Major Reason "Security" and Customer Service Support! But Security is main reason I like it (Less Research I have to do since everyone was not invited to the party). I just think they need to get a good team of Software Reviewers to open their eyes to what they all ready have in the Nook Color(NC) and FINALIZE what type of APPS they are going to Sell!

Sorry to say thou that would I go get a Nook Tablet (Probably not, since if I root my NC I could possibly have a better device, even thou the Table is a Dual Processor -- equal to PC with No Root Access, Keyboard and storage space).

NC is the perfect device to me for: Reading, Listening to Audio Book/Music and Surfing the web, Could be a Wonderful Home Productivity Device, where I can denote my recipe changes, after I purchase an APPs (to Keep Family Calendar, Shopping/Errand List)!. Not to go without mentioning something to occupy my time with a game/video when I sitting around on break, traveling or at an appointment!

Bottom line is It was developed as an E-Readerr, what it really is under the hood is small screen Tablet! Many smartphones exist out there that can do as much if not more then NC and have less under the hood! If they added a camera, mic and allowed phone software to work, turn on gps, with bluetooth: I would not have a need for the smartphone and/or GPS Device.....that should've been the NOOK Tablet!

FOR Students that this could be the best darn Educational Book Around! Think about all those Text Books students use to have to carry around (some still do!), not anymore if the book is available on your E-Reader!

Another Android Device (Nook Color)! Looking forward to the day I can use One Device Big Enough Screen Wise for: Phone and Surfing the Net.....this NC is Just Right!
Correspondent
Ryan_
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

lonerchick wrote:

They're not really free, they are just paid for using ads.  The B&N Apps are ad free, which is why you have to pay for them.  The developers have to make money somehow, and if it's not through ads, then it's through payment.   The alternative is to allow ad based Apps.  I'd rather pay a couple of bucks for an App with no ads.

Another alternative are in-app purchases (usually in ad supported games) that allow you to get a feel for the game and offer item packs or coins to get things faster or unlocked. 

That said, there is a good website I ran across that promotes sales on the NOOK Color and Tablet called http://the-cheap.net/ 

It's mostly about books but everyone once and awhile they'll have an app. Also, I know that our Minesweeper app is 100% free, no ads or anything. Just download that and enjoy.

Developer at Toy Studio - Developer of Nook Apps
=========================================
New User
megamomx7
0 Kudos

I hate the choice of apps..My DD has a kindle fire and my other kids have Ipod touches and they all can get free apps that are the exact same on my nook,only I have to pay for the app and they get it free!!!

Contributor
Quizzle
0 Kudos

megamomx7 wrote:

I hate the choice of apps..My DD has a kindle fire and my other kids have Ipod touches and they all can get free apps that are the exact same on my nook,only I have to pay for the app and they get it free!!!

I'll cosign this, megamomx7. I have an iPod Touch and an Android phone. Both have a number of full version apps, many of which I got for free. Usually these are free for a limited time, to introduce or promote the app. It must make sense financially, because it keeps happening. I know I've gotten an app free for one device and liked it so much I bought it for another. Also, free apps are a good way to get me to check out the offerings of a particular developer. If I like one app, I'm likely to enjoy others by the same developer. Amazon offers a free Android app daily. B&N might not be able to do that, but even a weekly one, à la the free book, would make me appreciative and more likely to pay for additional apps.