Reply
Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
Posts: 1,395
Registered: ‎06-07-2011

Re: Free app fridays-office pro 7


5ivedom wrote:

I get V 6.5.1010. On the About Page.

 

This is pretty cool, I have to say. Would never have expected a $15 App to be the first app in the Free Friday Apps program.


Someone in the chain of command had a brainstorm and was allowed to do something good.

 

1) free app that is otherwise expensive. 

 

2) Ties in to the 'load other formats and read them on your Nook' that B&N has been boasting about.

 

3) Hopefully sets the trend for Free App Fridays with quality apps being offered.  The Free Fridays books generally leave me wondering why I even looked in the first place.

 

4) This targets the NC, NT, and HD customers all who have had recent reasons to become annoyed with B&N.  The NC/NT because they have devices that are discontinued, and the HD users because of the issues the HD has had since it launched.

 

 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Distinguished Correspondent
sparky_80
Posts: 89
Registered: ‎06-30-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Free app fridays-office pro 7

 

So, for their first free app promotion, nobody thought to check the version of the app that was made downloadable????

 

Seriously!   :smileyfrustrated:

 

Weren't we just talking about B&N quality control????

 

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
Posts: 1,395
Registered: ‎06-07-2011

Re: Free app fridays-office pro 7


sparky_80 wrote:

 

So, for their first free app promotion, nobody thought to check the version of the app that was made downloadable????

 

Seriously!   :smileyfrustrated:

 

Weren't we just talking about B&N quality control????

 

 


 

We were also just talking about how people will complain even when you give them something for free. 

 

The important things about this free app fridays kick off are as follows

 

1) the app downloads to all the devices that are compatible with it.

 

2) the app is free.

 

3) the app works on those devices.

 

 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Contributor
JRS9000
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎11-24-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Free app fridays-office pro 7

When I registered the application it said version 6.  When I looked under "more" and then "help"  it said version 6.5.1010.   On my desktop it says Version 7.  What gives?

Distinguished Correspondent
sparky_80
Posts: 89
Registered: ‎06-30-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Free app fridays-office pro 7


Mercury_Glitch wrote:

sparky_80 wrote:

 

So, for their first free app promotion, nobody thought to check the version of the app that was made downloadable????

 

Seriously!   :smileyfrustrated:

 

Weren't we just talking about B&N quality control????

 

 


 

We were also just talking about how people will complain even when you give them something for free. 

 

 

 

 


OK, that's certainly one way to look at it.  And it's very nice of them to do that.

 

But even if one person would have taken the time to go through the download process and load it up on their tablet and open it up and look at the first screen, this whole embarassing mess could have been avoided.

 

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
Posts: 1,758
Registered: ‎09-10-2011

Re: Free app fridays-office pro 7

This actually ran as a news story on my local early news. Omaha, for a firm in need of good buzz, free friday app, qualifies. By quickly responding and confirming the update to the correct version next week, customers expectations are met. Let me know, tell me your response, treat me fairly customer expectations are met.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
Posts: 1,395
Registered: ‎06-07-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Free app fridays-office pro 7


sparky_80 wrote:

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

sparky_80 wrote:

 

Weren't we just talking about B&N quality control????


We were also just talking about how people will complain even when you give them something for free. 

 


OK, that's certainly one way to look at it.  And it's very nice of them to do that.

 

But even if one person would have taken the time to go through the download process and load it up on their tablet and open it up and look at the first screen, this whole embarassing mess could have been avoided.


 

The embarassing mess of providing an app for free and within hours of the version being questioned a reason why was posted.  With a clear explanation of what was being done to correct the issue, and an estimate on when it would be resolved.  All cost free to everyone.

 

There are valid things to complain about when it comes to B&N CS and QA.  This is really not one of them. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Distinguished Correspondent
sparky_80
Posts: 89
Registered: ‎06-30-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Free app fridays-office pro 7


Mercury_Glitch wrote:

sparky_80 wrote:

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

sparky_80 wrote:

 

Weren't we just talking about B&N quality control????


We were also just talking about how people will complain even when you give them something for free. 

 


OK, that's certainly one way to look at it.  And it's very nice of them to do that.

 

But even if one person would have taken the time to go through the download process and load it up on their tablet and open it up and look at the first screen, this whole embarassing mess could have been avoided.


 

The embarassing mess of providing an app for free and within hours of the version being questioned a reason why was posted.  With a clear explanation of what was being done to correct the issue, and an estimate on when it would be resolved.  All cost free to everyone.

 

There are valid things to complain about when it comes to B&N CS and QA.  This is really not one of them. 


I don't think we will be able to agree on this one.  Distributing the wrong version seems a bigger deal to me than to you.  If Burger King advertised a free Whopper, but gave us a Whopper Jr, I'd say they goofed up.  

 

And heck, this isn't the only problem reported in this thread.  "They haven't said anything at the store level about this, not that that's an indication either way really. ", " I think what happened is that they ran it on Wed by mistake. It's probably meant to start this Friday.", "It says free, but when I click the "download now" I get a message that I will be charged 14.99 plus applicable taxes. ", "To get v7.0 I had to do the drastic act of Deleting the application, the using the Free App link in the shop."

 

I wouldn't go so far as to call it an "emabarassing mess".  But I've been in the software busines for years, and there is a well-known adage that it costs 25 times more to fix a problem after it has been posted to customers.  So, instead of getting next week's free app ready, B&N will be spending the weekend answering customer calls, figuring out how to post the newest version, appeasing the angry Office Pro people, and making sure they have the bandwidth for the extra downloads next week.

 

 

Distinguished Correspondent
junonia-shell
Posts: 189
Registered: ‎05-24-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Free app fridays-office pro 7

I probably would have never griped about this app in the first place if it wasn't for the fact that this is the third paid app (yes, I bought this app last year for 14.99) that shows a different version number in the app store than what is on my tablet. The other two apps still won't update to the newer versions. At least we got a response for this app and for that, I am grateful.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
Posts: 1,395
Registered: ‎06-07-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Free app fridays-office pro 7

 
The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
Posts: 652
Registered: ‎03-08-2011

Re: Free app fridays-office pro 7

>>The embarassing mess of providing an app for free and within hours of the version being questioned a reason why was posted.  With a clear explanation of what was being done to correct the issue, and an estimate on when it would be resolved.  All cost free to everyone.

 

There are valid things to complain about when it comes to B&N CS and QA.  This is really not one of them.<<

 

I'm with you.  I got a $15 app FREE.  It downoladed to both my NC and my HD+.  It's apparently not quite up to date, but it will be next week.  And, again, it was FREE.  I was raised not to spurn a gift.  I just can't see complaining about something thaat is given for free.  If free is too high a price to pay because one considers it not worth it for whatever reason (e.g. wrong version), then don't download it.  You've lost nothing. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom
Posts: 3,544
Registered: ‎12-03-2011

Re: Free app fridays-office pro 7

I really really really think we need to cut B&N some slack.

 

1) They've started a SUPER new promotion. Free Friday App.

 

2) They've made a $15 App free.

 

3) They've made an App Free that is very very useful. Plus it's well done.

 

*****

 

You know what - stuff like this happens.

 

If getting Version 6.5 instead of 7 is such a big deal then there's a simple solution (and i mean this in the best way, not being snarky) - Delete it and don't use the app.

 

 

Bibliophile
laurieb52
Posts: 1,135
Registered: ‎12-13-2009

Re: Free app fridays-office pro 7

Such a fuss about nothing. i downloaded around 6 pm on Friday, and the version was 7.0.11.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Wordsmith
PlanetGreen
Posts: 242
Registered: ‎01-26-2013

Free fridays ! Win your very own BN retail store !

[ Edited ]

5ivedom wrote:

I really really really think we need to cut B&N some slack.

 

1) They've started a SUPER new promotion. Free Friday App.

 

2) They've made a $15 App free.

 

3) They've made an App Free that is very very useful. Plus it's well done.

 

*****

 

You know what - stuff like this happens.

 

If getting Version 6.5 instead of 7 is such a big deal then there's a simple solution (and i mean this in the best way, not being snarky) - Delete it and don't use the app.

 

 


Agreed.

 

I have another idea for BN in addition to all of this which is a great start IMO.

 

Free Nook HD on friday's !

 

Alex Ive got a few ideas below for promotions :

 

 

Here are my thoughts,

specialoffers_v07_06.png

Any friday, buy a soda or coffee, get a Nook free !

 

Plus, you are automatically entered into our sweepstakes to win any BN retail store of your choice !

 

Or,

 

Download your free app on friday's, but hurry, we are giving away $1,000,000 to the first 1,000,000 customers who do so !

 

Or

 

Download your free app, and you will be entered to be CEO of BN for one year, with a salary of 7.8 million + (Christmas bonus of 12 billion). (must be able to spell 'car' and recite the pledge of allegiance)

 

Or,

 

We are giving away our company, please look for the golden ticket once you download your free app.

It's a small world afterall except when your far away.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes
Posts: 223
Registered: ‎06-28-2010

Re: Free app fridays-office pro 7

I've thought this often but never had the guts to post it before, but I will now.

 

Of the many forums I'm a member of this one is by far the most whiny and petty I've ever been on...ever.  The hairline trigger that sets some members off is mindboggling at times. In fact, I stop reading these forums for great lengths of time because I just burn out.  I'm used to forums where we work together to solve problems, not simply complain without offering solutions.

 

The above doesn't characterize everyone on this forum.  Probably not even the majority, but it at least describes the most vocal minority.

 

Yes, BN has screwed up...frequently.  And yes, this sort of thing look horrible right out of the gate with a new thing they are trying (Free Friday Apps).  But, heck, version 6 or version 7 I didn't have to shell out $15 for this thing.

 

Besides, they are addressing it.  The fact that they acknowledged it quickly and presented a solution is actually one of the thinks that BN has been rightly hit for NOT doing in the past.

 

Really, I think we need to pick our fights a bit better.

 

Now, if last next week we are still not at the correct version then everyone has more than enough justification to complain.

Wordsmith
PlanetGreen
Posts: 242
Registered: ‎01-26-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Free app fridays-office pro 7


Rignes wrote:

I've thought this often but never had the guts to post it before, but I will now.

 

Of the many forums I'm a member of this one is by far the most whiny and petty I've ever been on...ever.  The hairline trigger that sets some members off is mindboggling at times. In fact, I stop reading these forums for great lengths of time because I just burn out.  I'm used to forums where we work together to solve problems, not simply complain without offering solutions.

 

The above doesn't characterize everyone on this forum.  Probably not even the majority, but it at least describes the most vocal minority.

 

Yes, BN has screwed up...frequently.  And yes, this sort of thing look horrible right out of the gate with a new thing they are trying (Free Friday Apps).  But, heck, version 6 or version 7 I didn't have to shell out $15 for this thing.

 

Besides, they are addressing it.  The fact that they acknowledged it quickly and presented a solution is actually one of the thinks that BN has been rightly hit for NOT doing in the past.

 

Really, I think we need to pick our fights a bit better.

 

Now, if last next week we are still not at the correct version then everyone has more than enough justification to complain.


So what are you saying?

It's a small world afterall except when your far away.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
Posts: 3,544
Registered: ‎12-03-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Free app fridays-office pro 7

[ Edited ]

Rignes

 

It's interesting you say that. I agree that lately there seems to be a tendency to complain at the drop of a hat.

 

Perhaps it's that various troubles over the last 5-6 months have made people impatient.

 

*****

 

I used to think the opposite. That Nook Forum had a very low percentage of negative people. It seems to be slowly changing.

 

I haven't found any forum that didn't have whiny people. And worse the 'we own this forum' type people who would go around telling people what to do and what not to do.

 

I was on the forums of another device maker and it was stunning to see almost every question and complaint met by a sarcastic attack on the person asking the question. Perhaps I just picked the wrong day to check that forum. But it seemed to be a group of the same users going around harassing everyone.

 

I think the Nook forum is still a lot better than most forums. Hopefully the temporary spike in people complaining ends soon.

Wordsmith
PlanetGreen
Posts: 242
Registered: ‎01-26-2013
0 Kudos

Please set your clocks forward one hour

[ Edited ]

5ivedom wrote:

Rignes

 

It's interesting you say that. I agree that lately there seems to be a tendency to complain at the drop of a hat.

 

Perhaps it's that various troubles over the last 5-6 months have made people impatient.

 

*****

 

I used to think the opposite. That Nook Forum had a very low percentage of negative people. It seems to be slowly changing.

 

I haven't found any forum that didn't have whiny people. And worse the 'we own this forum' type people who would go around telling people what to do and what not to do.

 

I was on the forums of another device maker and it was stunning to see almost every question and complaint met by a sarcastic attack on the person asking the question. Perhaps I just picked the wrong day to check that forum. But it seemed to be a group of the same users going around harassing everyone.

 

I think the Nook forum is still a lot better than most forums. Hopefully the temporary spike in people complaining ends soon.


I only visit 2 forums, ever.

 

I practically live at the anger management forums (Impissedoffbigtime.com/forums). I come here to really get riled up and pissed, and then go there for therapy.

 

Works out pretty well, ive lowered my pressure meds a bit, you ought to try it guys.

It's a small world afterall except when your far away.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes
Posts: 223
Registered: ‎06-28-2010

Re: Free app fridays-office pro 7

I probably shouldn't have said things the way I did but was just trying to be honest.  It just seems like there is so much complaint for the sake of it and about relatively minor things.  You are right, people are fed up with BN's many short comings, but complaining in and of itself doesn't solve a thing, it may make us all feel a little better, but doesn't move towards a resolution.

 

Whenver I have a complaint I try to do something.  I try to find a solution on my own with Google and then contact the manufacturer if I can't resolve on my own as an example.  In the case of OfficeSuite I E-mailed the developer to let them know it was an issue becuase I felt they, as the developer, would be better at working with BN to fix it.

 

I guess, what I'm trying to say is that go ahead and complain, but then try to do something about it.  It's kind of like contacting a politician, if enough people do it someone will take notice.  They probably won't contact you directly, but someone will take notice.  Unfortunately, it's a slow process and requires patience.

Wordsmith
PlanetGreen
Posts: 242
Registered: ‎01-26-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Free app fridays-office pro 7


Rignes wrote:

I probably shouldn't have said things the way I did but was just trying to be honest.  It just seems like there is so much complaint for the sake of it and about relatively minor things.  You are right, people are fed up with BN's many short comings, but complaining in and of itself doesn't solve a thing, it may make us all feel a little better, but doesn't move towards a resolution.

 

Whenver I have a complaint I try to do something.  I try to find a solution on my own with Google and then contact the manufacturer if I can't resolve on my own as an example.  In the case of OfficeSuite I E-mailed the developer to let them know it was an issue becuase I felt they, as the developer, would be better at working with BN to fix it.

 

I guess, what I'm trying to say is that go ahead and complain, but then try to do something about it.  It's kind of like contacting a politician, if enough people do it someone will take notice.  They probably won't contact you directly, but someone will take notice.  Unfortunately, it's a slow process and requires patience.


Hey, just wanted to say that was really cool of you. Nice post, Rignes.

It's a small world afterall except when your far away.