Frequent Contributor
Lulugirl28
0 Kudos

Game Apps on NC vs, Nook Tablet

I have loved using my NC but I seem to use it mainly for the apps. I tend to read books the old fashined way, most of the time, and I get them from the library.. My NC won't hold many apps and I am constantly having to archive them to add new ones. I have also noticed that some of the games seems sluggish. I am wondering if it would be worth it for me to upgrade to the Nook Tablet. Will I notice that much of a difference in the game play and will I still have the same problem with having to archive apps to make room for others?

Can the tablet be upgraded to CM 7? It seems like I read somewhere that it can't. If the tablet has a Micro SD slot then I would think that it could be. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Distinguished Correspondent
Czechboy
0 Kudos

Re: Game Apps on NC vs, Nook Tablet

Lulugirl28 wrote:

I have loved using my NC but I seem to use it mainly for the apps. I tend to read books the old fashined way, most of the time, and I get them from the library.. My NC won't hold many apps and I am constantly having to archive them to add new ones. I have also noticed that some of the games seems sluggish. I am wondering if it would be worth it for me to upgrade to the Nook Tablet. Will I notice that much of a difference in the game play and will I still have the same problem with having to archive apps to make room for others?

Can the tablet be upgraded to CM 7? It seems like I read somewhere that it can't. If the tablet has a Micro SD slot then I would think that it could be. Thanks for any info you can provide.

My daughter has a NC and I have a NT.  She reads a lot on it, but she also uses it for apps (games mostly).  The NT does have a faster processor with double the ram.  I can honestly say that the NT seems quite a bit faster in general.  The NT can be dual booted with several different systems, CM7 being one of them, via an SD card.  When it first came out, that wasn't the case, but it has since been resolved.  I have CM7 running on my daughters' NC, and she likes that she can download a wider variety of apps.

Not really sure why you'd be running out of room on your NC unless you have lots and lots of content stored on it and no SD card.  Even before we put CM7 on the NC, my daughter was able to download all the apps she wanted (without using an SD card), and she never had to archive them,

Maybe if you go to B&N, you could do a side by side comparison between a game you have running on your NC and the stores' NT.  They probably get similar requests all the time.  Hope this helps.

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
Frequent Contributor
Lulugirl28
0 Kudos

I have a N2a card but I seem to use my Nook side more. I don't have that many books downloaded but I am always getting a "low memory" message when I try to add an App and I have to archive them. I hardly have any Apps unarchived. Maybe the ones I have use up more memory?

I didn't think it would be worth it to upgrade to the tablet until recently. Now that I can hardly have any Apps on my home page I am thinking it might be worth it. I really like to play games on my NC. I have  a N2A card. Will the same card work in a Nook Tablet if I upgrade or wouldI have to buy another one?

Thanks!

Distinguished Correspondent
Czechboy
0 Kudos

Lulugirl28 wrote:

I didn't think it would be worth it to upgrade to the tablet until recently. Now that I can hardly have any Apps on my home page I am thinking it might be worth it. I really like to play games on my NC. I have  a N2A card. Will the same card work in a Nook Tablet if I upgrade or wouldI have to buy another one?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, the same card will not work in both the NC and NT.  They each have different ways of achieving the same goal.  You would need to get a new n2a card if you wanted to do the same thing with a NT.  Also, there is another place to get a CM7 sd card that is a bit less expensive than n2a.  This site will also let you download the CM7 image onto your own SD card for a fraction of the cost.  Here's the site...

http://www.androidfornook.com/index.html

I did this for my daughter's NC and it worked out great.  Really good customer service as well.  Good luck with your decision.

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Lulugirl28 wrote:

Take a look at the available memory in settings. If your NC has only 1 GB for B&N storage, and 5 GB for other storage, your NC has the old memory partitioning model with only 1 GB for apps. If you go to an B&N store they can reformat your memory. This will give you 5 GB for B&N storage (including apps), and 1 GB other storage for sideloading.

Frequent Contributor
whiteoakBR
0 Kudos

Just make sure you are aware that the re-partioning will wipe out any side-loaded content you have.  There has been some chatter that this process will also wipe out scores and other saved data in your games.

Frequent Contributor
Lulugirl28
0 Kudos

I have one of the original NC ao I knew that it hasn't been repartitioned. I looked in my Settings and it says that I have 49.3 MB free out of 0.92 GB. In Other Storage I have 3.64 GB free out of 5.00 GB. My B&N does repartition so I hope having that done will makes a big difference.

Frequent Contributor
momof3redheads
0 Kudos

I had my NookColor repartitioned and it was ok.  It did wipe out my sideloaded content but that was ok because I had it stored on my home computer and I just put it back on.  My apps are all still there and I like how my Nook works better.