New User
GabBill
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Glow light or 7" Tablet?

I had a Simple Touch with Glow light. It was replaced in July due to an issue with it. I had an issue with the new one. Went into the store last night and they gave me a new Glow Light, for which I paid the $20 difference between the old and the new. Don't think they should have charged me, but....

Question is: For another $10, should I have gotten the 7" HD tablet. Seems to do a lot more than the Glow Light model e-reader. I sometime read outdoors and guess the e-ink helps. How's the HD in a sunny environment?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Bibliophile
Schwa

Re: Glow light or 7" Tablet?

[ Edited ]

A couple things to consider:

1) What are YOU planning on using it for?  If you just need an ereader, then the Glowlight more than fits your needs.  If you want access to full color offerings like magazines and other multimedia (web, games, video, etc), then you will be happier with a tablet.

2) Will you use the device outside A LOT?   Tablet devices, including the HD models can be read outside with a little work (brightness, background colors, sitting in shade) but the eInk screens are FAR superior in sunlight.

3)  Do your eyes get tired reading LCD screens?  Mine do not, but yours may tire.  eInk is just like reading a prined page, tablets are like reading a computer screen.

Basically it's up to YOU.  I chose device versatility with the Nook HD, but others prefer the focused reading experience of the eInk readers.

Wordsmith
JinSC

Bill,

My first Nook was the Nook Color.  I got it as an ereader.  I wasn't really interested in all the tablet functions, but I wanted to read in low level light siturations and at the time, that was the best option. 

As time went by, I found myself using the table functions (email, checking these forums, web browsing, etc.) far more than i had anticipated.  Last year I got the HD as it will run entertainment apps, such as HULU which the Nook Color won't.  While my primary use is still as a reader, I use the tablet functions a great deal.  For instance, check out this thread that I started on my HD on vacation:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-HD-HD-Support/HD-HD-your-vacation-essential/m-p/1480083/...

Last week I went into my local B&N to look at the NGL.  I really don't see paying the money for it when for the extra $10 you can get the HD which will do so much more. 

I know many people make a big deal about reading in sunlight.  i did it today on my HD using the "Night" setting in Overdrive and had no problems reading.  Many of the problems encountered when reading outside have to do with wearing polarized sunglasses which do not interact well with the LCD screens.

i know I have my bias, but for me I wouldn't hesitate...get the HD.  If you don't like it, return it for the NGL.  i'm betting you won't return it.....

my $0.02...

Jeremy

New User
GabBill

I wrote a reply to Schwa, but it got lost in cyber space.

I appreciate all the thoughts and alternatives. I also had an original Color Nook. Got a lot of good use out of it. I wound up rooting it, which expanded it's use further.

My wife has an iPad. I think it's just too heavy to use for in bed reading. I've been thinking about a Samsung Note or Tab, but for $10 I may just give the HD a shot.

Thanks,

Bill

New User
GabBill
0 Kudos

Jeremy, do you have the HD or the HD+

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980

Go to Target on Black Friday.

Buy an HD for $80.

Keep them both.

Wordsmith
JinSC

Bill,

I have the HD and my daughter has the HD+.  For reading i like the HD as it is roughly the size of a paperback.  it is also convenient to carry.

For web surfing the HD+ is nice.

So, as Schwa said, it really boils down to what you plan to use it for.  Of course, as I discovered, what you plan to use it for and what you discover you can use it for are often very different.

Jeremy

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

For me, the HD+ was worthless outdoors - the screen was far too dim to read. 

The big thing you give up by going to an HD/+ is the battery life and extraordinary light weight of the Touch family of devices. 

The Samsung and Nexus 7 inchers have very bright screens, although I've seen one review which says the HD+ had a screen in that brightness range, I felt that the current Samsung and Nexus were far better. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
MacMcK1957

I shudder in terror at the thought.

Correspondent
Byteguy

[ Edited ]

MacMcK1957 wrote:

Then, avoid the crowds and go at 6:00pm (or is it 8:00pm) on Thursday.

KIDDING, insert extreme eye-rolling here

To respond to the question.. Get both.  I have an NST and an Nexus 7 tablet.  I move back and forth.

The NST is so much easier to hold and read.  But, the Nexus can do more, lights up, and handles "complex" books better (things with lots of pictures and such).

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

I've got an HD, which I use mainly as a tablet rather than an e-reader. I do most of my reading just before falling asleep, and I'm one of those folks who find an LCD display to have a caffeine-like effect. If I use the HD, I'll stay awake for a couple of hours, sometimes more. So instead I use my old NOOK 1e with a clip-on light, and after a chapter or two it's time to put the NOOK away and get some sleep.

New User
GabBill

OK....it appears to be a moot point insofar as my trading up or laterally, depending on how you look at it. I went to the store and they told me an upgrade (which I got), has to e to a "like device." I couldn't upgrade from a reader to a tablet.

I think I'm OK with this decision being made for me. I'll probably wind up going for a Nexus 7 or 10.

Thanks to all for your input.

Bill

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:

Eh, compared with the nutjobs Best Buy and Wal Mart, Target is actually an enjoyable experience. Last time I did it they even had a nice queue line set up and they went around giving everyone free Clif Bars and water bottles.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

[ Edited ]

I've had the new Nook Glo for about two weeks now.  Before that I did a lot of my reading on my Nook HD.  I've already noticed that I'm sleeping much better reading on the glo.  I recently read a library book on the HD, and found I had trouble getting to sleep again.  Finished the library book and went back to the glo, no trouble falling asleep again.

and the battery life on the glo is so much better.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF

For a reader, the combination are a real advantage on a long trip, since recharging the HD on a long trip can be a pain, so sticking to the eInk device while reading and restricting the HD to the other functions can substantially extend the effective battery life of the HD.

bobstro
0 Kudos

While it might be a bit of overkill, having two devices has a lot going for it. Use the color LCD device for normal day-to-day activities where the larger size and color screen are most useful, Have an eInk device handy for outdoor reading, or long periods spent away from power sources. With the reading positions synchronized between devices (at least for B&N titles), it's easy to move back and forth. Just remember to sync your eInk device before hitting the road.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

I agree.  I much prefer reading on the HD+--to me the text is cripser--plus I can use ot for FB, email, casual web browsing.  I plug it in everynight to charge when I'm home and it's all good.  But the e-reader (I had the NST, just upgraded to the new GlowLight) is so light that I toss it into my bag when I'm out.  In warmer weather, I can take it out to read in the yard.  and when we're camping for a weekend with no electricity, I know I can read in the later evening before bed and I don't have to worry about the battery dying.  For me, each serves a different function. but they meet at reading to serve one of the greatest pleasures in my life.

Reader 4
Madriver
0 Kudos

I have a glow light and a 7 inch HD+ tablet, and there are pros and cons with both.  What's great is that I have the same library on both.

The tablet is good for web surfing, and I can easily read some new sites with it, along with books, but I cannot read it easily outside.  Also, with its cover on, it's a bit heavy for reading in bed.  I also have to charge it a couple of times a week.

The glow light unit is extremely light and is wonderful when reading in bed.  It also works well outside, and the biggest plus - I can use it for hours and hours and it still has a decent charge.  It's just below 50% now, and the last time I charged it was on Christmas.

For taking out library books via Overdrive, the tablet is far superior because books can be downloaded via wifi, but it just takes a couple more steps to do it with the glow light (same process I used with my Nook 1st edition). 

Buying books is easy with both units.

If all you want to do is read books, then I'd recommend the glow light unit.