Inspired Correspondent
bugeek
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Good app for listening and d/l podcasts on Nook HD+/Tablet

Anyone know of a good podcast app for the Nook HD+, there is an app in the store. but its awful...

Am more than willing to sideload it....Really wish there was some options in the Shop...

Wordsmith
BruceMcF

Re: Good app for listening and d/l podcasts on Nook HD+/Tablet

bugeek wrote:

Anyone know of a good podcast app for the Nook HD+, there is an app in the store. but its awful...

Am more than willing to sideload it....Really wish there was some options in the Shop...

You don't like Stitcher? That's the one I use on my Android player, but its more a podcast streaming app than a podcast download app.

If you are happy to sideload, there are two Free and Open Source Software podcast apps at F-Droid in the Multimedia catagory: Just Player MP3 player with a podcast plugin, and Podax. F-Droid has a market, but you can also download the most recent version apk with your computer browser and sideload it from wherever you downloaded it.

I haven't tried either, since direct mp3 downloads and Stitcher covers my limited podcast needs.

Inspired Correspondent
bugeek
0 Kudos

Stitcher is good for streaming but not downloading. Really wish there was something like InstaCast for android
Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

bugeek wrote:
Stitcher is good for streaming but not downloading. Really wish there was something like InstaCast for android

When I'm cycling to work, one of my little pocket sized MP3 players is better for listening to a podcast than my tablet, so I haven't looked for a download-oriented one.

I might try one of the two that I linked to on my little Android player and see how well it works, but I don't really need a download podcast app for a tablet.

Contributor
Long2Read

I use Podkicker from the Play store. It's free. I can download the few NPR podcasts I like and stream if I want to. The horrible podcast tool in the shop that I paid for was one of the tipping points that made me take the plunge into loading the Play store onto my nook.
New User
lenz
0 Kudos

Dog catcher is a highly rated podcast  android app. Problem is getting access to the app.   We certainly could use access to more apps. Is it possible to have a work around to  gain access to android apps using nook?

Could B&N work out a software solution, particularly now that its' support for nook maybe changing because of poor sales. Or is it technically impossible?

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Yes, you can get apps from other sources on your nook.  Take a look at the xda forums for any nook device for details on the simplest ways.  On the hd and plus, there is also sideload support, if you are set up for adb.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.