flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923

HD Series NOOK 2.1 Update Unreported Features

As usual, the patch notes for update 2.1 are somewhat lacking, so here's the stuff I've found that isn't recorded in the patch notes.

The Search Bar at the bottom is now black instead of white. I don't like it, as the font in the search box is still light grey and it doesn't mesh well.

Notifications now show a box in the top right corner of the screen for a few seconds. If a notification pops up now, instead of just an icon, there is a small dialogue box that gives information about the notification that appears for a few seconds before fading. This is similar to how notifications operate on "stock" Android - showing a preview in the notification bar.

Two new stock BN apps - Your Highlights and Notes and Your Lookups. Both are fairly self-explanitory: they collect all of the notes, highlights, and word definitions that you have done in all the books on your account into one place.

New Settings. Along with Google services we also get Google App data backup, which is a nice plus of the GPS.

NOOK App Update tool finally has a close button that isn't the size of a gnat. Serious, took way too long.

Lendme, Preorder, and New banners have changed. They are no longer on the side of icons, but on the bottom left corner.

Archive has a back button. But still no universal back that I've found. >.<

If you find anything else, post it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: HD Series NOOK 2.1 Update Unreported Features

Can the highlights and notes be exported?

I'm glad they're finally doing something with this, and would love to see these updates on an e-ink device (current or new).

flyingtoastr
0 Kudos

No exporting that I saw, but I'll keep poking around.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Those are some good additions.

Can we please call it just Google Play.

GPS is super confusing. I keep thinking GPS = Global Positioning System.

keriflur
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

Those are some good additions.

Can we please call it just Google Play.

GPS is super confusing. I keep thinking GPS = Global Positioning System.

LOL, just said this in the Community Room thread.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

sorry. hehe. I can be very wordy at times so I try to reduce it wherever I can. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
TriscuitCracker

The Your Lookup feature also serves as a dictionary app in and of itself.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa

I just wanted to point out that when browsing the Play store, any apps that I already had from B&N show as already purchased.  This is probably standard but I was surprised and happy to see it.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Schwa wrote:

I just wanted to point out that when browsing the Play store, any apps that I already had from B&N show as already purchased.  This is probably standard but I was surprised and happy to see it.

Yep, it's standard.  The same will happen if you buy apps from the Amazon store.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Don't like the new position of "new"; the normal action of the carousel results in covering up the flag.

Chrome is also annoying. It takes three taps to get to a bookmark instead of two, and there is no fast exit from the browser (the original would shut down an exit by closing the last tab, Chrome requires backing out of the entire history, and I've not seen how to set a specific home page to start on).

Baron Wulfraed
keriflur

Wulfraed wrote:

Don't like the new position of "new"; the normal action of the carousel results in covering up the flag.

Chrome is also annoying. It takes three taps to get to a bookmark instead of two, and there is no fast exit from the browser (the original would shut down an exit by closing the last tab, Chrome requires backing out of the entire history, and I've not seen how to set a specific home page to start on).

You do not need to back out your history to exit Chrome.  You just exit.  Not sure why you'd even attempt to back out.

Correspondent
ewilson1114
0 Kudos

Wulfraed wrote:

It takes me 2 taps to get a bookmark in Chrome-- when you're on the webpage, click the star next to the url, then click save. I didn't make a lot of bookmarks in the old browser but I THINK it was the same way?

I just press the home button to get out of Chrome.

I'm not sure how to set a home page in Chrome though, but its not a feature that I use since I prefer it to open to the "Other Devices" page so I can open pages I have open on my PC or iPhone (I use Chrome on both of those devices as well).

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Has anyone tried disabling Chrome in the settings/apps/chrome settings? Was wondering if that would pull up the previous browser.

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

For two click access to bookmarks on Chrome...

Click on Bookmarks tab at the bottom of a new browsing tab.  That will make mobile bookmarks show up for every new browsing tab, then click on the required bookmark.

Create the bookmarks using the star in the address box as ewilson1114 said;

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Yeah, how do we disable Chrome?

Bibliophile
bklvr896

I wonder if Chrome was part of the deal they negotiated with Google? Like you have to have Chrome as the default browser?
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Sorting by title now works correctly (ignores "A, An, and The") just like at the library/bookstore.  Can actually find books. Nice (badly needed) improvement. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
celandinehobbit
0 Kudos

Compulsivereader - Disabling Chrome was one of the first things I did yesterday after the update. Went to my apps through settings and clicked the 'disable' button. Thought it might bring back the old stock browser when I returned to the home page and pressed the 'Web' button, but nothing happened. Obviously, there is no other browser. Disabling it gives you no browser whatsoever. Meh.
flyingtoastr
0 Kudos

Chrome is the new default browser for Android, per Google after Jelly Bean's launch. OEM's are still quite capable of creating their own "stock" browser (and the major players still have theirs on their platforms), but it's quite possible we're going to see a bigger shift towards Chrome as time goes on.

One great thing is that there's still plenty of choices for browsers - I have Firefox and Dolphin on my HD+ as we speak along with Chrome.