Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Re: HD Shipping?

I received another e mail, 3rd one today, saying my tablet has now shipped UPS. Thats only one day late. I ordered Oct. 11.
New User
olesalt
0 Kudos

I ordered the Nook HD on 9/26. The last email i received was the Dec 1 ship date notice. Has anyone ordering the HD received any updated emails?
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Yes I received one stating mine shipped yesterday. I. Ordered 10-11.
Contributor
Beangrape
0 Kudos

I ordered the HD on 9/30 and received the email that states the delay email until Dec 1 was a mistake. I have not yet received a shipping notification.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Out of our three orders we now have:

1) Shipping Notification for one. Shipped November 2nd. At the time I checked only shipping label had been created. Nooks hadn't been picked up.

2) Delayed Notification for 2nd. Separate emails of delay with Nook HD and Nook HD+. No details.

3) Nothing for 3rd order.

Inspired Correspondent
thans56
0 Kudos

I wish we knew what exactly was going on.  I checked my order status today and discovered it had changed from nov 8 to dec 1.  This after I got two emails, one for delay till dec 1 then next that the email was a mistake.  If a mistake why suddenly was ship date on my order status changed.

no email received yet on a second delay?

Frequent Contributor
thegriff
0 Kudos

I think most of us wish we knew what's going on.  I'm sure they've had a system glitch that's caused the order system to go a bit whacky.  

My 9/26 pre-order shows a shipping date of 12/1 but I did receive both the delay and the "we're not so delayed" e-mail.  Personally I'm just going to wait and see what this week brings.  I suspect by the end of the week I'll either have my new HD in hand or I'll have a better idea of when it'll arrive. 

No use getting stressed out about the situation, it'll get resolved.  I noticed a bunch of threads got moved over night.  To me this is a good sign as it means at least one of the admins is back on duty. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

No email on a second delay. Perhaps they haven't corrected the mistake for you yet.

Contributor
derfFL
0 Kudos

Had a nook + pre-ordered online.  Have been told multiple stories by multiple B&N people about when it would ship.

Went to local store and was able to get one and love it.  As soon as I got home I went online to cancel pre-order that still shows a ship date of 12/01/12 and got an email back saying I could not cancel as it is in the shipping cycle but that I can return it after I get it.

Wow, makes no sense, that means that someone else won't get one because it will be shipped to me and I will have to send it back to them.

Will not deal with BN.com anymore except to order nook books, everything else will be in the store.  At least I am lucky enough to live only a couple of miles from the store.

Inspired Correspondent
MusicmanGG
0 Kudos

Idid the same and my pre ordered nook could not be cancelled. You do nothave to mail itback. Instead you can take it to your local B&N store for a refund. This way someone else can walk in a buy it instead of putting up with the delays.
patgolfneb

[ Edited ]
Wow it's amazing how many perfect people you find on the Internet. It's clear that whatever error there has been, either was caused, made worse, or at least BN'S ability to correct it was impacted by the East Coast storm. It is very likely the people responsible were unable to get to work. It appears devices shipped from the east coast are delayed. My Nevada sourced device has been shipped. It seems likely that this may account for some of the shipping variances. Because this is a NY, New Jersey based firm communication and responses are probably disrupted. New product introductions always have hiccups, the storm has just exaggerated them this time.
Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Has anyone had an HD 7 inch shipped yet, or is it only the HD +'s that have been shipping?

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Contributor
Logician
0 Kudos

So, patgolfneb, you don't believe a major corporation should have some sort of redundancy plan? Without mitigating the problems caused by the storm or the hardship on some it has caused, to say that people were "unable to get to work" in order to explain a days-long cluster is reductionist beyond all measure.

If the entire company is so reliant on those "people responsible" that everything comes to a screeching halt and no one has any accurate information makes B&N look a lot worse and doesn't provide a defense.

Perfection has nothing to do with it. A coherent plan and the ability to adapt should be an inherent part of any company structure.

Frequent Contributor
thegriff

You should stop shopping at B&N if you are so upset by their lack of plan.  Not sure what you expect to get out of the company at this point. 

The business went forward and a roll-out of devices from a warehouse likely hit directly by Sandy went wrong.  It's not as if the entire chain ceased operation for the four days after the hurricane.  

It's a tablet...not your new pacemaker. 

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Logician, oh brother, it appears that you just want to pick a fight. I am pretty rusty on reductionist thought. I did not claim knowledge of the companies various parts and functions and their interaction. I only pointed out we do not know our lack of knowledge on how those functions might have been affected by the storm. Your position is unrealistic in the real world. Companies plan and devote resources to prepare for the most likely disruptions. At some point, and I think this storm qualifies, the costs of having no disruption are excessive. Also the fact that this event coincided with a major product roll out magnified the disruption. I think your expectations are unreasonable. It is not as if the whole company closed down. Some online functions have been affected and evidently some shipments. We don't even know if east coast carriers were accepting shipments or are backlogged. Reductionist thought does apply to the extent that interdependence with power companies, shippers, employees access to the work sites, contracted warehouses etc only some of which is under BN control.
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,949

[ Edited ]

Logician wrote:

A coherent plan and the ability to adapt should be an inherent part of any company structure.

BN had a disaster plan. It worked relatively well: stores still got their demos and some sales stock in, a large number of orders were indeed processed as soon as the company physically could (UPS wasn't picking up ny packages in the Northeast until Friday so there really wasn't much BN could do even if the Monroe DC had power), the company continued to operate without any direction from home office, the NOOK servers still largely functioned aside from some hicups, the website remained up and running, and no one lost any data. There are some certain internal operations things that failed spectacularly that I'm not permitted to discuss here, but on the balance BN did reasonably well.

No plan is flawless. Even the oh-so-perfect Amazon has had issues: look at the two times they brought down half the internet when their AWS servers catastrophically failed. BN did reasonably well given the size of this disaster, and in the future they will take this experience and do even better.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

[ Edited ]

Laurieb52,

We have 2 separate orders with Nook HD. For one we got a delayed email. For the other nothing.

A third order we had with 4 HD+s got shipped on the 2nd.

For people upset with B&N's lack of Emergency Planning, it's like Murphy's Law. Everything that could go wrong went wrong.

Let me illustrate with an example.

Let's say B&N says:

1) We have servers in NY. We have backup servers in New Jersey. We have a third backup in California.

Now, they never assume a case where ALL the traffic would go to California. Because their server providers probably have 99.99% uptime guarantees.

However, with Hurricane Sandy the absolutely unrealistic scenario of BOTH NY and NJ getting affected happens.

Result: Problems with orders and registration.

2) B&N plans out following -

Orders shipped to new users on Date X.

Orders shipped to Stores on Date Y.

Backup Stock for Date X orders.

Hurricane Sandy hits. Suppliers in Asia run into problems (since they can't get it into New York port due to the storm.

Net Result: We're left with delays.

There are a million people without power in NEw JErsey and hundreds of thousands in other states. This is a REAL disaster.

It's not something you can plan for, and most companies don't have the money or resources to plan for it.

At the end of the day, it's every individual person's choice whether to give B&N the benefit of the doubt after it got hit by a super storm that was beyond anything anyone could have expected.

Let's just hope everyone in NY and NY and other states affected is fine and can get back to a normal good safe life as soon as possible.

I read about the Fuel Rations and 56,000 people in Long Island without livable housing and then things like delays on a Tablet seem trivial in comparison. I hope everyone affected by Hurricane Sandy gets back to normal.

Bibliophile
laurieb52

[ Edited ]

So it sounds like none of the HD 7 inch devices have shipped yet.

None of the devices were ever scheduled to ship until Thursday, 11/01. Expedited shipping takes 2-3 days, and regular shipping 4-5 days, M-F; so to date, technically, no one's HD is even late. I'm certainly not going to worry about a week (or even two) delay in shipping. After all, we're all adults, not two-year-olds, and should be able to tolerate a little delayed gratification.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Contributor
derfFL

Mostly true, but through text chat, phone to CS and an email from BN, all said order was delayed until about 12/01.

Then it ships on a Sunday no less.

Some issues with storm, yes, but no excuse for lies or at least people being mis-informed and passing on bad info.

I will continue to deal with BN, but at the store level

Inspired Contributor
Logician
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It's not just about the plan. It's about the complete lack of communication.  How is it possible that they still don't have accurate information on the status?

Delays? Fine. Dropped shipments? Fine. A company that has no clue and cannot provide customers with updates? Not fine.

I was told 12/1. Then I was told not 12/1. Then I was told 12/1 (by an actual person). At that point I got too dizzy to follow so I gave up. Especially since all of the excuses (from customers since B&N hasn't said a word about why) don't explain a month delay or the seemingly inconsistent shipping schedule.

I don't think expecting to be informed accurately of the status is too much to ask or in any way unreasonable.