Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

Re: Hard/soft cover books you already own.

keriflur wrote:

Sun_Cat wrote:
Isn't this the point in the discussion where I'm supposed to question your credentials? :catlol:

I must admit I am not a CEO.  *skulks off, embarrassed*  :smileywink:

Neither am I.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat

roustabout wrote:

"I'm just amplifying the original comment by kamas716 that not all torrent downloads represent lost sales."

I think there is a valid point to be made - a different point - not about lost sales but about dilution of the idea of attaching intrinsic value to the effort involved in making a creative work.  

I think that's the point that Keri is making, that all artists lose a bit of the future value of all of their work when folks start valuing it less, squirreling it away to use or not use, and just not thinking about it.  

I agree. One is about short-term accounting for the immediate effects of piracy. The other is a broader perspective about the overall value of intellectual property.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

petesnook wrote:
Keep in mind that a number of newspapers and magazines allow free e-editions if you have a paid print subscription, so I don't think the OP's question is entirely unfounded or a sense of unbounded entitlement.

The OP is asking about books he/she already owns.  I think this would be great if I could buy a HC of a book and get the eBook for a little more, but for books I already own?  First, how would anyone know if I really purchased a copy of the eBook?  What if I had a paper copy and downloaded the eBook then gave a friend the paper copy and they downloaded the eBook?  For books you already own it's going to be pretty difficult to confirm that you actually own a copy of the book and that you paid for it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

bklvr896 wrote:

petesnook wrote:
Keep in mind that a number of newspapers and magazines allow free e-editions if you have a paid print subscription, so I don't think the OP's question is entirely unfounded or a sense of unbounded entitlement.

The OP is asking about books he/she already owns.  I think this would be great if I could buy a HC of a book and get the eBook for a little more, but for books I already own?  First, how would anyone know if I really purchased a copy of the eBook?  What if I had a paper copy and downloaded the eBook then gave a friend the paper copy and they downloaded the eBook?  For books you already own it's going to be pretty difficult to confirm that you actually own a copy of the book and that you paid for it.

Strangely, I have the habit of keeping the receipt of every physical book I buy in-store.  I put them inside the cover of the book (or one of the books in the purchase) and use them as bookmarks or just as reminders of when/where I was when I bought it.  For my online purchases, they're all linked to my various accounts, so I can actually prove that I bought almost every book I own, even the used books (though if anyone ever put this policy in place, I'm sure it would only apply to first sales).

Thing is, I don't mind paying separately for the ebook, if I feel the need to have both.

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

RHWright wrote:

natalia623 wrote:

Does anyone know why you are not allowed to download soft/hard cover books you already own in e-book format for free?  Why should we have to pay twice for books we love and would like to have available whenever we want?  I think its a little unfair.

I should know better than to be baited like this, but what the hell...

You own a single copy of the book. Not the right to an infinite supply of copies. I own copies of various musical recordings on LP, cassette, or CD. Does that entitle me to a free download in a new audio format? I own certain books as hardcovers. Does that entitle me to a free paperback copy, too? Or that fancy anniversary edition copy when it comes out?

Think it's unfair? Well, the nicest thing I can say is put your thinking cap on again and redo the math. Cuz you got the answer wrong.

Uh, no you don't.  You only have a license to read it.  Try to sell it or give it away........

Freedom is not free.
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

gb18 wrote:

RHWright wrote:

natalia623 wrote:

Does anyone know why you are not allowed to download soft/hard cover books you already own in e-book format for free?  Why should we have to pay twice for books we love and would like to have available whenever we want?  I think its a little unfair.

I should know better than to be baited like this, but what the hell...

You own a single copy of the book. Not the right to an infinite supply of copies. I own copies of various musical recordings on LP, cassette, or CD. Does that entitle me to a free download in a new audio format? I own certain books as hardcovers. Does that entitle me to a free paperback copy, too? Or that fancy anniversary edition copy when it comes out?

Think it's unfair? Well, the nicest thing I can say is put your thinking cap on again and redo the math. Cuz you got the answer wrong.

Uh, no you don't.  You only have a license to read it.  Try to sell it or give it away........

The "single copy" being referenced here is a hardcopy, not an ebook.
Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

"The "single copy" being referenced here is a hardcopy, not an ebook."

Not solely in the entire thread; however, I will limit my comment to ebooks.

Freedom is not free.
Nallia
0 Kudos

gb18 wrote:

I wasn't talking about the entire thread. I was taking about the specific post you responded to. RHWright was responding to the original poster, who was speaking about the hard copies s/he already owns. You didn't make a general statement. It's fine if you want to limit your discussion to ebooks in particular, but it makes no sense to do so in response to a statement specifically regarding paper books.
Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nallia wrote:

gb18 wrote:

I wasn't talking about the entire thread. I was taking about the specific post you responded to. RHWright was responding to the original poster, who was speaking about the hard copies s/he already owns. You didn't make a general statement. It's fine if you want to limit your discussion to ebooks in particular, but it makes no sense to do so in response to a statement specifically regarding paper books.

I was talking about the enire thread and did (after your comment) limit my comment.  See above.

Really appreciate the corrections.

Thank you.

Freedom is not free.
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

petesnook wrote:

The OP isn't asking about anything.  The OP "asked" and hasn't shown up since.  Meanwhile the discussion has continued.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Theft is still theft regardless of whether the book is read.  That's like saying if I steal a painting and keep it in my closet, it's not really a theft because I'm not hanging it on my wall.

And whether they would have bought it irrelevant also.  Again, same painting.  Does it really matter if I would have bought it?  I'm still a thief if I steal it.

IMO people who steal things they don't use, especally things they can afford to buy, aren't collectors, they're kleptos.

I didn't mean to suggest that it's not illegal.  I was simply pointing out that not all downloads are lost sales. Equating torrent site downloads to lost sales is disingenuous without also acknowledging the psychology behind the use of such sites.  I'm not advocating their use, just pointing out the fallacy of thinking there is a direct and equivalent correlation.

In my own experience with B&N Free Friday and other free/discount selections, hardly any of those authors that I've downloaded would I have ever read if the eBook wasn't free.  Only a handful I had ever heard of, and only a couple of those had been recommended to me.  Will I go back and read more of those authors?  I will surely go back and buy books from a couple of them(JA Jance, Tom Rob Smith, Vince Flynn).  A few more I would be willing to download as free selections (Mary Logue, William Dietrich, Jonathan Javitt, Debbie Viguie), but the majority of them I won't be reading ever again.

The only book I've got both an eBook and a hard copy of, excluding classics in the public domain, is Iron Lake by William Kent Krueger, and that's only because I was able to pick it up for $0.99.  I would love to see more publishers bundle DTB and eBook sales, I think it's in their best interest, but I don't see anyone giving me the option for even a discounted price on an eBook simply because I happen to own a DTB.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

petesnook wrote:

The OP isn't asking about anything.  The OP "asked" and hasn't shown up since.  Meanwhile the discussion has continued.

So true, Alan!!!

Nallia
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

petesnook wrote:

Don't cloud the issue with facts! Why do you want to take away my manufactured outrage? :smileytongue:
AlanNJ
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

petesnook wrote:

Don't cloud the issue with facts! Why do you want to take away my manufactured outrage? :smileytongue:

Now now Nallia... There's a time and a place for outrage.  Getting upset about a single posting from a poster who only posted that post just isn't the place... :smileywink:  Stay calm and mellow like I always am!  :smileytongue:

Nallia
0 Kudos

*looks down, kicks the ground, and pouts* It's just that it's been so quiet around here, and everyone has been so...happy!...and so...so...nice!...to each other...
AlanNJ
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:
*looks down, kicks the ground, and pouts* It's just that it's been so quiet around here, and everyone has been so...happy!...and so...so...nice!...to each other...

My apologies.  I've been busy with work... :smileywink:  I'll try to fix things up here to your liking though... :smileyhappy:

MacMcK1957

Some people are never happy. Want to invite you-know-who to come back?
Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies

ME!!!  I'm back!!!  *runs in circles in glee*

What?  You weren't talking about me?

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Not exactly.
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

MacMcK1957 wrote:
Some people are never happy. Want to invite you-know-who to come back?

Don't you mean He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named?