Frequent Contributor
Dinerfiend

Hard to Read an Actual Book!

I've read only Nook books for the past few months, and now I'm rereading a favorite that is not available as a Nook book in English (The Master and Margarita---incidentally, the Nook version that B&N offers is in Russian). I'm actually finding it hard to read a physical book---I keep wishing that I could make the font size larger and that the "screen" was backlit (I have an HD). Has anyone else had this experience?

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

Re: Hard to Read an Actual Book!

What is this "book" you speak of?

Distinguished Correspondent
cgsmom

LOL! I thought I was the only one. I have been reading ebooks since 2004 (first on my PDA with Microsoft Reader, then my iPod touch, then Nook).  I simply cannot make myself read a paper book. I start to read and start thinking, it weighs too much, the text is an ugly font, the text is too small, etc.  I have purchased ebook copies of all my favorite books, because I know I won't read them again in paper.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

To paraphrase a line from Demolition Man "In the early 21st century they used peices of paper with fixed text to read, can you imagine?"

We've had discussions on the future of books vs ebooks.  While it was certainly a lively debate, I don't think anyone thought books would prevail and last forever as the primary reading method. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

I cleared out hundreds of books that were gathering dust on the slim chance that I might go back and re-read them (an occasional but pretty rare occurrence).  I now subscribe to my favorite magazines (Analog and Asimov's) on my Nook as well as the daily paper.  When I have a few minutes waiting at the dentist or barber, I read on my cell phone, but mainly I use the e-ink NST.  I read more than I ever have.

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

I don't think I've actually tried since starting with eBooks (oddly enough) however I have found that I have a much harder time reading a print newspaper (I do read one on my Nook daily).  I think the electronic age has a greater impact on people than they realize. I'm fairly certain my attention span has gone down, a lot probably because we now get our information in little snippets of news on the internet. Information comes at us at such a fast pace, we have difficulty doing it the old fashioned way.

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

Strongly disagree. Have had a Nook Color since they first came out. Currently have an HD+, an NST, the original Color, plus the wife has an HD+. If we're home, we are reading real books if possible. Sometimes there is a deal on an ebook that is hard to resist, I'll admit.

Freedom is not free.
keriflur

I don't have this issue - maybe because I read ebooks almost entirely on eink, which more closely mimics paper than LCD.  I do sometimes wish I could put my finger on a word in a regular book and get a definition. :smileyhappy:

Incidentally, I have THE MASTER AND MARGARITA in ebook.  I bought it from Kobo, who doesn't have it for sale any longer.  Amazon has a message that the book isn't available due to an issue with description, content or formatting and they're working with the publisher to resolve the issue (though I suspect if there's a rights issue they'd still show this message).  So hopefully whatever the issue is, the publisher will resolve it soon and the ebook will be available again.

Frequent Contributor
byter67

I sometimes find when reading a DTB that I tap the page with my thumb expecting the page to flip to the next. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
Dinerfiend
0 Kudos

Thanks for the word about the Master and Margarita!  I'm glad to know I'm not the only one searching for it in ebook form!

lochnez

While I loved readin on my N1E, and then my NT, and now my HD or HD+ (yes, I'm a Nook junkie!), I still love the experience of a real book. For me, a book is more than the words on the printed page, it's a whole experience. The look, the feel, the font, the binding, the book cover, the jacket if present, the illustrations if any. All add up to an experience you can't get with ebooks. And, if I already have several books by an author, such as Dan Brown or Ann Rice, and he/she comes out with another, I'll buy the book, not the ebook. Yes, I love being able to get a definition immediately or go to Google Maps and see where the action is taking place. But such instant gratification was not part of my generation, and, while I don't reject it, I don't expect it. Just one old guys opinion.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

I never thought I'd cotton to an e-reader.  I have aways been a devoted lover of books.  About 2 1/2 years ago, I bought the NC because we go on long camping trips in our little travel trailer, and it was cumbersome to haul along a stack of books.  (I can never read just one book at a time.)  Tunrs out that I loved reading on it.  don't have to prop it open, and "turning" the pages just gets integrated into one's muscle memory.  I can switch from one book to another without sorting through a stack.  And when I'm reading a book with footnotes--no need to keep two bookmarks and flip back and forth.  A year ago, I bouight the HD+ and like it even better--more like reading a hard cover, and magazines are brilliant. 

I still go to our public library every Tuesday to browse among the paper books.  I rarely leave without checking out one or two.  So I;m still an active reader of DTBs.  But I have to admit (to my own surprise) that I actuallydo prefer the e-reader. 

I' also buying far more books than I used to.  I rarely bought a hardcover book, or even a paperback, when I could get it for free from the library.  Yet I I do buy them for the Nook.

Inspired Correspondent
jaquellae

I do have a preference for ebooks, but I do still occasionally read a paper book... mostly checked out from my local library or pulled from the "friends of the library" sale that supports the local library. there are certain childhood favorites that I need my paper book experience for (Robim Mckinley, Cynthia Voigt), but for newer books, I do like my N1E best.

bobstro
0 Kudos

I'm definitely in the "books won't disappear completely soon" camp, but I've converted over to ebooks almost completely for daily reading. I do find it annoying having to carry magazines around for takeoff and landing, especially when I realize I've read one already. I remember carrying a big bag around to shove a couple of large books in for travel. My shoulders are much happier now, and my reading selection is much more spontaneous.

keriflur
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

I do find it annoying having to carry magazines around for takeoff and landing, especially when I realize I've read one already.

I always buy a magazine in the airport before my flight. I only need one, because I read on my NST right up until the flight attendant comes around before take-off, and then pick back up on it again when the seatbelt light goes off.  I never get through a whole brand-new mag in that time, so I have plenty of non-e reading for left for landing.

RJR443

Macular degeneration caused me to give up on reading print books in 2010 ( I have several walls of now unreadable books which I leave on their shelves because removing them would leave only bare walls.  :smileyhappy:).  I've read ebooks exclusively since then, and I wouldn't trade the ease and convenience they afford for anything.  But I'll admit: holding my NSTG, even with a leather cover on it to give it a book-like feel, isn't quite the same as holding a boook.  And you know what else I miss?  The delicious sence of adventure and anticipation I used to get from going to my local library in search of my next good read.  Seeing a list in SHOP isn't the same somehow.

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193

Much as I like actual books (I do), it just doesn't work for me personally any more. I need the larger print, the lighted background (old eyes), the ability to carry numerous books, magazine, etc. without a HUGE backpack or something and in some cases, all the extras you get by having it in digital form. I still like browsing through actual books but I'm afraid that's where it ends for me. It's just far to convenient for me to have an eReader. As a commuter, it is far easier to have my Nook than to pull out a hardcopy book and try to read on a bus/train or whatever, mostly because of lighting and the extra weight.  If I finish a book in the middle of my commute, I can easily decide which one I want to start next and not have to worry about having it with me or having to carry it AND my just finshed book. Just to many pros over the cons of using an eReader.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220

Yep not missing the masses and stacks of books in my living space. Or the way I use to lug bulky books with me on the go.

As have enough issues with weight with my camera bag & gear and constant in out of bag for lenses,flashes,etc.. without my beloved books,magazines,etc getting in the way and adding to my shoulder strain.

My nook color suffices for reading on the go or at home. With the added advantages of other great uses in having an app to my library,google maps,Trimet bus schedule app and other functions when out and about.

Don't miss that something something about holding,smelling and turning pages of a book. I do have fond memories of it when I was a kid tho.
"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Inspired Correspondent
moony3424
0 Kudos

I've recently had to get books from the library and the print was small, the book was bulky, and the weight seemed heavy.  Oh by the way, I did try to swipe to turn the page.  :smileyhappy:

javabird
0 Kudos

RJR443 wrote:

Macular degeneration caused me to give up on reading print books in 2010 ( I have several walls of now unreadable books which I leave on their shelves because removing them would leave only bare walls.  :smileyhappy:).  I've read ebooks exclusively since then, and I wouldn't trade the ease and convenience they afford for anything.  But I'll admit: holding my NSTG, even with a leather cover on it to give it a book-like feel, isn't quite the same as holding a boook.  And you know what else I miss?  The delicious sence of adventure and anticipation I used to get from going to my local library in search of my next good read.  Seeing a list in SHOP isn't the same somehow.

I get this. I love the look of bookshelves full of books.I love the feeling of holding a nicely bound copy of a DTB in my hands and opening it to that very first page.

Unfortunately, my eyesight isn't so good and I find it hard to read anything on paper now. Paperbacks are especially hard since the print seems so small.