Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

Re: Hard to Read an Actual Book!

One of the reasons I support B&N is that I still like to browse the bookshelves.  I go to the store and look through the shelves and see if anything catches my fancy, something that I hadn't seen online.  Then I take my Nook out of my jacket pocket and buy the digital edition.

bobstro
0 Kudos

Last bastion of print has fallen...

keriflur wrote:

bobstro wrote:

I do find it annoying having to carry magazines around for takeoff and landing, especially when I realize I've read one already.

I always buy a magazine in the airport before my flight. I only need one, because I read on my NST right up until the flight attendant comes around before take-off, and then pick back up on it again when the seatbelt light goes off. 

I received an email from US Air announcing that small devices in airplane mode can be used during takeoff and landing on national flights now. Regional to follow. I haven't flown in the last month, so haven't verified this, but it looks like I won't need to stuff a magazine in my bag on my next trip.

Let's not forget, though, that people kept a copy of the Sears & Roebuck's catalog in the outhouse for more than reading. :smileyhappy:

bobstro

Re: Hard to Read an Actual Book!

MacMcK1957 wrote:

One of the reasons I support B&N is that I still like to browse the bookshelves.  I go to the store and look through the shelves and see if anything catches my fancy, something that I hadn't seen online.  Then I take my Nook out of my jacket pocket and buy the digital edition.

This brings up a B&N annoyance that I don't understand. Unless something's changed, I still can't scan an ISBN code and store it for future purchase using B&N's app. I thought I read that this feature was coming. On my visit to B&N last weekend, I still had to use the Goodreads app to build my list of books to buy later. At least I didn't have to use the Amazon app this time, though Goodread's in their stable now.

And of course, the wishlist on the Android B&N NOOK app is not synchronized to my wishlists on the web site. Seriously, B&N? I'm trying to buy stuff from you!

I too like visiting their bookstore, but they need to mesh the online and store experiences. They're not making life easy for those of us who support the stores but read on devices. This has been an issue since I bought my NC back in early 2011.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Re: Last bastion of print has fallen...

bobstro wrote:

keriflur wrote:

bobstro wrote:

I do find it annoying having to carry magazines around for takeoff and landing, especially when I realize I've read one already.

I always buy a magazine in the airport before my flight. I only need one, because I read on my NST right up until the flight attendant comes around before take-off, and then pick back up on it again when the seatbelt light goes off. 

I received an email from US Air announcing that small devices in airplane mode can be used during takeoff and landing on national flights now. Regional to follow. I haven't flown in the last month, so haven't verified this, but it looks like I won't need to stuff a magazine in my bag on my next trip.

Let's not forget, though, that people kept a copy of the Sears & Roebuck's catalog in the outhouse for more than reading. :smileyhappy:

Yep, the FAA recently changed their rules over the use of electronics below the 10k mark.  I think airlines have to show their airplanes meet a certain standard but the FAA estimated most if not all would be cleared by the end of the year. 

So you can now, or will soon, be able to read 'gate to gate' on an ereader.

Cell phones will still not work, but that's got nothing to do with the rule that had prevented the use of electronics

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
MacMcK1957

Cell phones will still not work, but that's got nothing to do with the rule that had prevented the use of electronics

That's simply based on the fact that people normally yell into their cell phones anyway, and if even 1/4 of the people on the plane are using their phones the plane would be intolerable.

bobstro
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:

That's simply based on the fact that people normally yell into their cell phones anyway, and if even 1/4 of the people on the plane are using their phones the plane would be intolerable.

One of my Christmas presents to myself this year is going to be a well-sealed set of noise cancelling headphones. I don't want to hear anything. I did purchase a nice modestly priced set of Etymotic headphones, and they worked so well I didn't hear the flight attendant talking to me until I looked up. Unfortunately, I managed to bend the plug when it snagged on the arm rest getting up.

keriflur

bobstro wrote:

MacMcK1957 wrote:

One of my Christmas presents to myself this year is going to be a well-sealed set of noise cancelling headphones. I don't want to hear anything. I did purchase a nice modestly priced set of Etymotic headphones, and they worked so well I didn't hear the flight attendant talking to me until I looked up. Unfortunately, I managed to bend the plug when it snagged on the arm rest getting up.

It's headphones like those that lead to the British Airways rule that you cannot wear headphones during take-off and landing, the times during the flight with the most noise.  For people like me, this leads to migraines.  I tried explaining to the flight attendant that Bose noise cancelling headphones only cancel consistent background noise, not voices, and that I could hear her just fine with them on as long as I wasn't playing music, but she gave me that face that told me she thought I was lying and made me take them off anyway.

So now I take them off until the flight attendants strap in for landing, and then put them back on.

Contributor
Nook_User

I still enjoy reading actual printed books.  There's a lot to say for having something tangible in your hands, easily seeing how far you've progressed from a page standpoint, and not having distractions inherent in tablets and ereaders.

That said, my Nook is still my trusty companion on flights and it comes in handy in many ways.

Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed

MacMcK1957 wrote:

Ignoring that cellphones are active transmitters (more powerful than just stray clock emmissions from a device in "airplane" mode) using a number of frequencies in four bands which could heterodyne creating mixing products that could be in aircraft radio frequencies you also have the problem that at altitude your signal may be hitting cell towers spread over a whole state, not just the two or three towers in range at ground level. Cell frequencies are line-of-sight. Look out the window of that plane and consider just how many towers have to coordinate to handle one call, and how much interference it may make in handling the more local callers.

Baron Wulfraed
Inspired Scribe
kamas716

I've caught myself more than once long pressing on a word in a DTB to look up the definition.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Distinguished Correspondent
lochnez
0 Kudos

kamas716 wrote:
I've caught myself more than once long pressing on a word in a DTB to look up the definition.

Showing my ignorance here, but what does DTB stand for?

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

lochnez wrote:

kamas716 wrote:

Showing my ignorance here, but what does DTB stand for?

Dead Tree Book. 

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Wulfraed wrote:

MacMcK1957 wrote:

Ignoring that cellphones are active transmitters (more powerful than just stray clock emmissions from a device in "airplane" mode) using a number of frequencies in four bands which could heterodyne creating mixing products that could be in aircraft radio frequencies you also have the problem that at altitude your signal may be hitting cell towers spread over a whole state, not just the two or three towers in range at ground level. Cell frequencies are line-of-sight. Look out the window of that plane and consider just how many towers have to coordinate to handle one call, and how much interference it may make in handling the more local callers.

I think there may have been a smidge of sarcasm in Mac's response. 

MacMcK1957

Actually, no, not sarcastic. I believe that cell phones will continue to be banned, and absolutely MUST continue to be banned, for reasons that have nothing to do with any possibility of electronic interference. They're just incredibly annoying, and being on a plane full of people yelling into their phones could cause even Mister Rogers to start taking hostages.