Contributor
CascaraBorzoi
0 Kudos

Harry Potter ebooks now available

The website selling the Harry Potter ebooks (and audiobooks) is up: http://shop.pottermore.com/en_US/harry-potter-ebooks?c=USD.

They even offer a way to sync your account with them to your B&N account (I guess so that you can download them by wifi), or you can just download to your computer and sideload the files. A quick note: you are limited to 8 downloads of each file. After that, you have to buy the ebook over again.

Distinguished Correspondent
MDD73
0 Kudos

Re: Harry Potter ebooks now available

I think Rowling has a good idea for her ebooks.  You can go through B&N, Amazon, or wherever to buy her books, but you are still buying from her store.  She controls the prices and you can put your ebook on any reader you choose.  I'd wager she's sold a ton of ebooks in the last several hours.

Distinguished Correspondent
Sardonic
0 Kudos

I'd wait a week or so, or just buy one...it appears if you go through B&N, Amazon, etc...they add DRM...you might be better going directly to Pottermore and sideloading...also, 'enhanced' versions will be out later this year...and I would bet you won't get a discount to upgrade from your 'un-enhanced' eBook...

Below is a link from The Digital Reader and Nate Hoffelder's experience...

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2012/03/27/harry-potter-ebooks-are-not-drm-free-in-kindle-format/

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Sardonic wrote:

Below is a link from The Digital Reader and Nate Hoffelder's experience...

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2012/03/27/harry-potter-ebooks-are-not-drm-free-in-kindle-format/

I see he was complaining about the price as well.  But, at $7.99 to $9.99, that doesn't seem outrageous to me.  Especially given how popular the books are.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

I wasn't terribly impressed with the Potter books but I am very impressed with Ms. Rowling's business acumen.  She is doing the "new way" predicted by Shawn Coyle and seems to be implementing it in a very effective and reader-friendly way.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Reader 2
amaree
0 Kudos

I'm not in any rush to purchase these. It was one of the first things I wanted to buy when I first got my nook, but of course they weren't available. Rowling really disappointed by draging her feet to offer evooks for sale. I was so ready then to give her my money. Now I'm just going to wait to check the ebook versions from the local library.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Intrigued_by_Romance
0 Kudos

I have read all the Harry Potter books in Paperbook and Hardcover, and they are truely amazing! 

I agree that J.K. Rowling has been dragging her feet; putting the Potters series on E-Books but the main reason is because she was building the Pottermore website; where people can purchase the E-Books from her; and more.  I think it is a good idea to purchase them from the author because it makes more sense since they are easier to download. 

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

Intrigued_by_Romance wrote:

I think it is a good idea to purchase them from the author because it makes more sense since they are easier to download. 

Since you have to go through MORE steps to purchase the HP books than to purchase a book from B&N, that statement is definitely not true. 

Frequent Contributor
BFH-CA
0 Kudos

KingAl wrote:

Intrigued_by_Romance wrote:

I think it is a good idea to purchase them from the author because it makes more sense since they are easier to download. 

Since you have to go through MORE steps to purchase the HP books than to purchase a book from B&N, that statement is definitely not true. 

Agreed!  Way too many steps but I was very grateful that it went smoothly - no hitches at all - and I finally got my HP Set.