Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Harry Potter

Am I missing something or what. Is Harry Potter not available as an ebook?

I cannot find it at my library as an ebook, nor on B&N site.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

Re: Harry Potter

[ Edited ]

Doreenpv wrote:

Am I missing something or what. Is Harry Potter not available as an ebook?

I cannot find it at my library as an ebook, nor on B&N site.

Doreenpv,

This is not some inability of yours to correctly search, but rather a prejudice on the part of JK Rowlings.  She feels (uh, right) that books are meant to be in DTB format and has thus far not allowed them to be converted to ebook form.

However, in keeping with her purity of thought and all things Potter, she seems to have no problem with audio books, movies, halloween costumes, designer, bejeweled books of Bardilicious tales that cost you the minor sum of your firstborn.  She just draws the line at ebooks because well books are meant to be read by kids holding large volumes in their laps who get cricks in their necks and spinal disorders from dealing with such works.  She is to be held in awe for her wisdom.

It's either that or she hasn't already gotten enough in royalty checks so she needs the advertisement that naturally comes from a book that says "Harry Potter" on the spine.  Either way, brava!

Oh yes and we also all believe that she wrote Harry Potter in pencil on table napkins.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Distinguished Correspondent
DrAstro
0 Kudos

I believe that Harry Potter is not available to purchase in any kind of digital format.

New User
CCFJR123
0 Kudos

JK has yet to sign off to have digital editions produced/released. Word is it is coming but I would not expect it until after the last movie has made it's fortune.

phoneboy

Google harry potter ebook. Looks like JK mite be changing her tune. I guess the est 100 mil mite ease her stance a bit. Lol
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Distinguished Scribe
normysmom
0 Kudos

You are not crazy. JK Rowling has yet to jump into the 21st century with us ebook readers. There is another discussion about this in the nook boards that I was reading the other day. It's too bad since I was finally going to purchase the entire series for my NC before the final movie comes out (as I have not read ANY of the series yet).
Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply. I tried to do some research and found some sites saying that she has agreed to ebooks, then others saying that she now rejects the idea.

I guess with all of her $$ she can call the shots on her books.

Inspired Contributor
Triggerone
0 Kudos

I've been searching for HP as digital for a while....and JK keeps saying she will allow them to be released. 

It's more money for her .... I, for one, will happily buy all the books again in digital format.  I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I've been reading digital books for about 10 years.  Love it - I can carry a large number of books on vacation, on the bus, camping, anywhere.  It keeps me reading more than I otherwise would.  And I read a wider variety than I probably would if all were in paper. 

It's gotta be good all around (for me and the authors).

Sardonic
0 Kudos

It was posted this week on mediabistro and teleread that JK's agent/publisher said Jk is considering releasing HP in digital format...It appears she has made this statement before and not followed through. That said, the last movie comes out this summer and between movie clips and "new" content via annotations from the "History of Magic" and "Hogwarts, a History" you have the makings of a really good "expanded ebook.
Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

DrAstro wrote:

I believe that Harry Potter is not available to purchase in any kind of digital format.

More like not in any kind of legal format. It's my understanding that if you really want them you can get them but you really must go to the dark side of both the 'net and the law.

Wordsmith
dparrothead1
0 Kudos

The are available on some of the P2P sites.

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
Inspired Contributor
Azilla
0 Kudos

you could OCR your own books don't know legality of OCR'ing stuff you own. Just a thought

deemure
0 Kudos

Azilla wrote:

you could OCR your own books don't know legality of OCR'ing stuff you own. Just a thought

Technically speaking duplicating any or all of any copyrighted work without the copyright holder's permission is not lawful even when done for your own use.  Besides, that would be such a PITA and not at all worth the time.  If you are going to be unlawful, that isn't the way to go.  And I'm not suggesting being unlawful.  Who knows who is paying attention when you visit a P2P site and get content you aren't entitled to?  The fines are stiff and there's nothing to say that publishers aren't chomping at the bit with all this stuff.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Wordsmith
dparrothead1
0 Kudos

deemure wrote:

Azilla wrote:

Technically speaking duplicating any or all of any copyrighted work without the copyright holder's permission is not lawful even when done for your own use.  Besides, that would be such a PITA and not at all worth the time.  If you are going to be unlawful, that isn't the way to go.  And I'm not suggesting being unlawful.  Who knows who is paying attention when you visit a P2P site and get content you aren't entitled to?  The fines are stiff and there's nothing to say that publishers aren't chomping at the bit with all this stuff.

That's why you use something such as "peerguardian" on your PC.  Blocks your ip address.

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
Frequent Contributor
ssakuras

Haha yea the books aren't too hard to find in a PDF or EPUB format if you just know where to look (like another poster said though, you need to go to the DARK SIDE because JKRowling hasn't officially allowed her books to be in digital format so it is illegal). I personally have them illegally like this, and I'm not ashamed to say it. If she releases the books and I can actually buy them, by george I WILL GLADLY DO SO! I WANT to be able to support her and her series more, but since she doesn't allow them in digital format I have no choice but to do it illegally. 

I already own a couple of my other favorite series in both paperback/hardcover AND in ebook format from Barnes and Noble. The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan I own in all paperback and I decided I would reread the series on my Nook so I've been reading a book from the series, then once I finish that one I go and buy the next one. I don't buy them all at once because I can't afford it but the books are extremely long and take me quite awhile to read so by the time I've finished one I can finally afford the next lol.

Also I own the Acorna series by Anne McCaffrey in a mixture of paperback and hardcover books and I'm rereading that series on my Nook as well. I don't own all of those books in ebook from BN yet either because, again, it's a matter of money.. but I own the last couple books in the series and the first book in the Acorna's Children series which takes place after the original ones. In fact today I'll be buying the 2nd book in her Childrens series.

So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE JKRowling allow Harry Potter to be officially released! I am one who is not afraid of buying a book again that I already own! 

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

I would also purchase a digital book even though I own the paper version. Harry Potter would be a block buster especially for the young readers.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Doreenpv wrote:

I would also purchase a digital book even though I own the paper version. Harry Potter would be a block buster especially for the young readers.

One of the greatest advantages of digital text over paper is the ability to search.  I can't believe we still don't have that option available.  Can you search ebooks in the original Nooks?  How about the Kindle?

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Hey Riff...maybe the update will give us that option to search.

Sardonic
0 Kudos

I can search...Just searched for 'meme' in the book I'm reading... and of course didn't bookmark my page...Damn you Riffraff!!!
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Sardonic wrote:
I can search...Just searched for 'meme' in the book I'm reading... and of course didn't bookmark my page...Damn you Riffraff!!!

Huh.  Sure enough.   I guess I'd seen it so much it ceased to register with me.

Never mind.   :smileysurprised:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.