B&N Bookseller
charlottesweb93

Has anyone INTENTIONALLY gone back to the Nook Color from CM7?

[ Edited ]

I have been running the CM7 for about four months now and I seem to spend more time rebooting the nook and force-closing apps than I do when don't run CM7.  It seems like the Apps I run the most are available from BN, so I have been contemplating going back to just a plain old Nook Color.

Am I crazy to go back?  Has anyone else gone back and do you regret it?

ETA: I am no longer a bookseller and haven't been for two years.  I thought I had emailed someone to take care of that for me.

Charlotte
Correspondent
moogs
0 Kudos

Re: Has anyone INTENTIONALLY gone back to the Nook Color from CM7?

It sounds like you have a bad/incompatible card. Try a class 4 Sandisk 8 or 16 GB card. I had a PNY card that ran fine for 2 weeks and got progressively worse with reboots and force closes. It eventually would not boot anymore.
B&N Bookseller
charlottesweb93
0 Kudos

I do have a Class 4 16GB Sandisk card.  Bought specifically for my nook color when I got it a year ago.  Any other suggestions?

Charlotte
Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Have you looked into the specific apps that are causing the issue? As general search on google with app name and force closed search may return results.

As have Sandisk CM7 8gb class 4 and have had zero problems with the apps I use. Dolphin HD browser app tho has it's own shutdown/close. But have used Aldiko ereader,Pandora,Pulse,Angry Birds,Chess,ezPdf,American Heritage Dictionary,Mobo Player,Wiki Mobile,IMDB,Mars Images,Majong 3,Shoot the Apples,Dropbox,gmail,Moon+ reader,Google streets.

And only had one time of force to close on Google streets. I suspect that the more prone apps are ones that require a connection to function and then hang when Wifi is iffy. Just a guess and no hard facts.

But have used all the others and other apps occassionally on a regular basis and had pretty much zero problems.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
GDJ
Inspired Contributor
GDJ
0 Kudos

I put CM7 on my device, it didn't offer me much and I didn't care for the industrial and cluttered looking visuals.  I also was not fond of all the icons and such that had to do with hardware that I didn't have on my NC.  The main reason I put it on at all was to get a better photo browser, that's been remedied, Fish Bowl!

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

charlottesweb93 wrote:

I have been running the CM7 for about four months now and I seem to spend more time rebooting the nook and force-closing apps than I do when don't run CM7.

That is definitely not normal. As others have mentioned, if you're running CM7 off of SD, the type of card is important. I ran CM7 for months off of internal (emmc) memory with very few problems. You're using a SanDisk class 4 card, so the type is correct. Is it possible it's been corrupted?

It seems like the Apps I run the most are available from BN, so I have been contemplating going back to just a plain old Nook Color.

I find the B&N selection miserable, myself, but I have found that a rooted B&N 1.4.1 configuration works just fine for my purposes.

No, you're not crazy. The B&N interface is nice for a reader-focused device, and if you use B&N content or features. In my case, my Wired Magazine subscription is the reason I have gone back. I also have found the B&N library more stable than some of the Android options for a large (500+) document collection.

Here's a list of reasons to stick with the B&N firmware:

• Read to me (mostly children's book)
  • Enhanced content (e.g. Conde Nast magazines such as Wired, New Yorker, though some of these are becoming available via 3rd party sources.)
  • Newpaper or magazine subscriptions (auto-update)
  • B&N Free in-store reading
  • Support from friends with stock Nooks or B&N (conditional upon being rooted)
  • The B&N reader experience and shell. The B&N Android Nook app is not the same thing as their firmware experience, at least not yet. Someday, they may update the B&N Nook Android app, but it is pretty poor right now. If you want to read B&N stuff, then 1.4.1 is a big deal.

I have found that a rooted B&N 1.4.1 install is ideal for me on my NC. I've gained all the functionality I needed from Android (open Market, Amazon App Store & Books, overclocking/undervolting), yet still get all the benefits of B&N's interface. Not everything works perfectly, but once I stop playing with it, it works very very well. Battery life is good. Performance is good.

All that said, if you don't use those B&N features, their firmware doesn't gain you anything.

I'm a hard core techie, and have learned my way around the Android device. I've tweaked and tuned every feature of my phone, and several NOOK devices (NT, NST, NC). What I have found that really surprised me was that the B&N interface gets me focused on productive reading rather than incessantly playing with the device itself. I'll literally spend weeks with a new device (well, not 24 hour days, mind you) getting it set up just how I want. There is something to the "less is more" approach for a device that's meant primarily to be an e-reader. I suffer from techie-OCD, I suppose. I'll find myself tweaking performance or playing a game I really don't like simply because it's there in front of me. Those same features shoved off of the main interface are still there, but not the focus of my device when I run B&N's interface.

Of course, this is really just a shell on top of Android, so somebody, someday might come up with a good alternate shell, at which point B&N loses this advantage, but for now, I like their interface.

B&N Bookseller
charlottesweb93
0 Kudos

Thanks for the feedback!

My most commonly used apps are Words With Friends, Evernote, a few games, LoseIt, Taptu, etc... So really, Apps that are available through BN.

My problem now is that I keep trying to install the update & I get a little triangle with a yellow exclamation point.  I read a lot of sideloaded books (there are 87 on there now) and I really want that update to be able to manually delete them from the nook.

I have taken the SD card out for now - so I can go back to CM7 if I want. 

Any suggestions?

Charlotte
Wordsmith
CraigAZ

[ Edited ]

charlottesweb93 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback!

My most commonly used apps are Words With Friends, Evernote, a few games, LoseIt, Taptu, etc... So really, Apps that are available through BN.

My problem now is that I keep trying to install the update & I get a little triangle with a yellow exclamation point.  I read a lot of sideloaded books (there are 87 on there now) and I really want that update to be able to manually delete them from the nook.

I have taken the SD card out for now - so I can go back to CM7 if I want. 

Any suggestions?

I assume you have B&N v1.3 and are trying to update to the current v1.4.1 operating system on your internal nook color memory.

The yellow triangle with an exclamation point is an indication that Clockwork Mod Recovery files were installed to the internal memory of your nook color which replaced some original B&N files and that this swap will not let the B&N update 1.4.1 proceed.

A search here on the forums will take you to the cause and solution to this issue. Posts by roustabout and taosaur will likely be your salvation. The solution will take some effort but really needs to be done. Please know that you're not the first to have this issue.

These may not be the best links but they're the two I found first that will start your process of getting the update to work on your nook color:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/1-4-stuck-in-install/m-p/123352...

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/1-4-1-update-rooted-user-notes/...

B&N Bookseller
charlottesweb93
0 Kudos

THANK YOU!!

Charlotte
Wordsmith
CraigAZ
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

charlottesweb93 wrote:

THANK YOU!!

Good luck.

I think there's a way to just replace the few files in your nook that are preventing the update to B&N 1.4.1 rather than a wholesale reversion to a stock B&N operating system but I can't find that link. Maybe someone else can offer a link to the process if it exists as I think it may....

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

charlottesweb93 wrote:

I have been running the CM7 for about four months now and I seem to spend more time rebooting the nook and force-closing apps than I do when don't run CM7.  It seems like the Apps I run the most are available from BN, so I have been contemplating going back to just a plain old Nook Color.

I didn't quite "go back", but I stopped using the CM7 card I had created and instead did a manual noot of the system. I picked the B&N launcher "Home" as the default launcher, so its like a stock Nook Color except with access to the Android Market for the handful of apps I want that are not in B&N's store.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Charlotte, as long as you're OK with losing everything on the Nook OS side of your device, you can fairly simply create a card that will flash you to stock 1.3 or 1.2, then update from there.

There may be a flashable 1.4.1 as well by now also.  

Instructions for lfashing in 1.2 or 1.3 are at http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/12/keeping-your-nc-at-12-or-13.html

Just don't do the last step, flashing in the hacked build.prop, if you really want 1.4.1.  (Also, if you later decide you didn't want to go to 1.4.1, you can use the card you make here to step back to 1.3 and then add in the build.prop to block the OTA...)   

As far as the other question, about folks giving up on cm7?  I did.  I tried it briefly, liked the bluetooth support but it really didn't add stuff that I felt was missing.  That may change with the Nook Tablet, as the rooted NT continues not to support location services and has many fewer visible apps in the Android market, so on that device I may go to the full blown cm7.  

But the NC on rooted stock is a very nice platform for me.   

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
justsayyes
0 Kudos

I did, sort of.

I've done pretty much everything with the NC from CM7 through 7.1, microSD boot with Honeycomb, MIUI, multiple rooting, etc.  I recently stripped it down to 1.01 and updated to 1.4.1, then rooted.  Using root, I've:

• Installed Swiftkey X Tablet as my default keyboard
  • Dolphin HD as my primary browser (not default mind you)
  • And a new kernel to allow overclocking to 1.2GHz

Beyond that I'm very pleased with the stock UI of 1.4.1 and the limited (except for overclocking which is HUGE) Androd apps - very stable, faster then stock, and a better browsing experience.

Netted out, the benefit is that I'm back to using the NC for reading and not wasting time with games and such.  Since I purchased the NC, I've read many more books in 1 year then I did in the previous 5 so no matter what happens now (e.g, NC platform abandoned, drop it in the tub, whatever), I believe I've received my money's worth from the NC.