Contributor
InkMolecule
0 Kudos

Have to go to store to get price?

I do my shopping online. Was going to buy a Nook ST for my brother while on sale. Where is the link to purchase for 79.99 online or does B&N think they can force me to do what they want while I am giving them my money? This is not the only Ebook option.

Correspondent
ChipPM
0 Kudos

Re: Have to go to store to get price?

[ Edited ]

The special edition $79 ST Nook is only available in stores today. It says so in the ad on the main page.

You'd better hurry. Time is running out.

Inspired Contributor
BeachCatFan

InkMolecule wrote:

I do my shopping online. Was going to buy a Nook ST for my brother while on sale. Where is the link to purchase for 79.99 online or does B&N think they can force me to do what they want while I am giving them my money? This is not the only Ebook option.

I'm not sure what you mean by "force me to do what they want while I am giving them my money". Most stores have both in-store and on-line specials this weekend. If you only shop on-line, then I guess you already know that you can get one at Best Buy on-line for $79.99, right? Free shipping, also.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger

Best Buy had a $79.99 NST online last night (maybe in stores, too?).  I simply Googled "Nook Simple Touch Sale" and found the Best Buy deal.  When I checked back around midnight, the deal was "sold out" on line.

Anyway, I had DECIDED I wanted the "Limited Edition," so I CHOSE to drive to B&N this morning to pick up my NST.  While there, I bought a $100 gift card with my B&N Master Card for $95 and received a free $10 gift card to use after Christmas.  I then used the $100 gift card to purchase the Limited Edition and a wonderful cover that was 30% off.  Next I went to the B&N Cafe where I showed my NST and received a free sample box of chocolates.  And since I had my NC with me, I talked with some really nice people who were considering various NOOK options.

I hope this was a great day for NOOK sales at B&N!

Contributor
InkMolecule
0 Kudos

Thank You BeachCatFan,

My first thought after reading your post was to go buy from Best Buy, I did not know about the Best Buy price, then integrity to myself kicked in. Very kind of you to let me and other individuals know, laurel to you.

I am not willing to contribute money to a company (or a person) that attempts to control or manipulate me, alter my life path or complicate my life. I will skip purchasing at this time. Better offers always come along when individuals are not willing to justify or enable what is either unfair or simply an inneficient, ineffective, unfair business or personal decision. Another individual or company always comes along that is willing to be straight up with other individuals. Online is the image, the brand, the thoughts, the store of the future, some have accepted that, some have not.

Of course this is my opinion only and other individuals may believe what they choose to believe.

I am not telling anyone else what to do or believe.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

InkMolecule wrote:

Thank You BeachCatFan,

My first thought after reading your post was to go buy from Best Buy, I did not know about the Best Buy price, then integrity to myself kicked in. Very kind of you to let me and other individuals know, laurel to you.

I am not willing to contribute money to a company (or a person) that attempts to control or manipulate me, alter my life path or complicate my life. I will skip purchasing at this time. Better offers always come along when individuals are not willing to justify or enable what is either unfair or simply an inneficient, ineffective, unfair business or personal decision. Another individual or company always comes along that is willing to be straight up with other individuals. Online is the image, the brand, the thoughts, the store of the future, some have accepted that, some have not.

Of course this is my opinion only and other individuals may believe what they choose to believe.

I am not telling anyone else what to do or believe.

You have a right to your opinion and to follow your own guidelines.  But I hope you are aware that that a lot of companies have in store deals only and online deals only.  I don't think anyone is trying to manipulate you in any way, that's the way businesses work. Sometimes they want to entice you in to the store, sometimes the deals are in both places.   I see lots of instances where a deal on a website will say "Online Only" or "In Store" only.  Best Buy does it with other products, so I guess it's good you didn't go to Best Buy and buy it.

Inspired Contributor
BeachCatFan
0 Kudos

I still do not understand the "manipulation" thing. The only reason I chose to get one from Best Buy was that I really did not want to get up real early (I ordered it while still in my pajamas...LOL) and I had some other shopping to do before I could make it to B&N. I was afraid they would be gone before I got there.

As it happened, I finished my shopping and went into B&N anyway. Picked up the car charger for my NC and chatted with the store manager about the upcoming 1.4 update. He also chatted with me about the problem I was having with my N1E resetting itself whenever it is turned off and back on again. VERY nice young man!! As a matter of fact, I had originally asked the clerk standing at the NOOK display about it and she directed me to the manager, since she didn't have a solution for me. I'm thinking at any other store, they would just say, "Hell, I don't know. Guess it's broken. After all, it's old. I can sell you a new one, though!!"  I had the opportunity to play around a little with the NOOK Tablet, also. I, in no way, was manipulated by anyone...LOL  As a matter of fact, it was one of the more pleasant experiences of my day..........no one there was too rushed to answer my questions or to be friendly, even though the store was pretty darned busy. Yes, I make purchases at Best Buy, but that kind of service and attention in a Best Buy store? Not gonna' happen!! It almost made me sorry I had ordered that NST from BB.......at least I know that B&N got my dollars for the N1E, the NC, and a lot of books and apps!! I hope that B&N in Merritt Island, FL sold every single NOOK in the store!!

Contributor
InkMolecule
0 Kudos

The difference is choice. If the same is offered online as in the store then everyone can make their own choice to purchase online or at the store. Having the sale only at the store is an attempt by someone at B&N to manipulate people to go to their store, raise the store customer count, hoping people will give them more of their money by being at the store seeing objects first hand.

There is an exec somewhere that believes they can increase dwindling store visits by manipulating potential customers. That is not the answer. That alienates online customers by giving store visitors preferential treatment. Do what I want you to then I will reward you.

Blockbuster had some policies and modes of operation that some exec at Blockbuster thought was good until Netflix came along.

I have no problem with someone that enjoys going to the stores that would make that choice anyway.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

InkMolecule wrote:

The difference is choice. If the same is offered online as in the store then everyone can make their own choice to purchase online or at the store. Having the sale only at the store is an attempt by someone at B&N to manipulate people to go to their store, raise the store customer count, hoping people will give them more of their money by being at the store seeing objects first hand.

Then by your logic each and every "online only" sale must also be manipulation, no?

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

InkMolecule wrote:

There is an exec somewhere that believes they can increase dwindling store visits by manipulating potential customers. That is not the answer. That alienates online customers by giving store visitors preferential treatment. Do what I want you to then I will reward you.

Blockbuster had some policies and modes of operation that some exec at Blockbuster thought was good until Netflix came along.

I have no problem with someone that enjoys going to the stores that would make that choice anyway.

You have a choice.  You can either go to the store to purchase the item or not.  

Online is not necessarily a mirror to brick and mortar stores just as brick and mortar stores are not necessarily a mirror of online only.

What is the matter with stores forcing people to go in to take advantage of a sale?  That's just good marketing as far as I'm concerned.  That said, I RARELY go into stores if I can buy something online.  That doesn't mean I don't appreciate what the business is trying to accomplish and certainly don't expect them to do everything to make my life easier.  That is the beauty of having a choice in the first place.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Correspondent
scotta316
0 Kudos

This thread as gone painfully long. It was an in-store special for Black Friday. What's left to debate?

I can't think of a single brick and mortar retailer who didn't have in-store sales for Black Friday. But even if there were exceptions, this sale was clearly marked as being available only in stores.

Wordsmith
tmr4

The best NST deals last week weren't even at B&N.  Target gave away a free $30 gift card with the $99 NST and Best Buy gave away a 2 GB SD card with some ebooks preloaded with a $79 NST.

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

Really, each and every place I shopped online on Friday had in store only sales. I had my kids home with me all day and my husband was at work so even if I was brave enough to set foot in a store on Black Friday I couldn't have done my Chrsitmas shopping then. So I did all my shopping online. Every site I went to had in store only sales, usually of the things I wanted to buy, and in the case of Target didn't even have the product for sale at all on the website. Target's website just kept directing me to buy it at the store. Many of the stores also had online only deals. I know B&N had online only deals as well. Very good ones, too. Do you expect all the brick and mortar stores with websites to offer all the cyber Monday deals in the store , as well? Should people who don't do any shopping online boycott any store with a website not offering them the online only deals today?