Contributor
RIFbeliever

Re: Having Nook Color issues?

Hi Peppyauntie 121,

I could not agree with you more. Having been a Customer Service Representative for a major corporation I know all too well the importance of the cares and concerns of the customer.

I only call the CS department when I absolutely have to. And I think my issues with my Nook Color more than warranted a phone call. (Or two, or three).

Yesterday I ordered some books on my Kindle Fire. (Since Barnes and Noble obviously don't read these, I think it's OK to mention their competitor). The previous books I ordered showed up immediately after I ordered them. When the books I ordered yesterday didn't show up within the hour, I called Amazon. I can't tell you how wonderful the Customer Service Rep 'Manny Fernandez' was in helping me retrieve the books. Not only did he give me step-by-step instruction on how to fix the problem, but he followed that up with an email, also containing the instructions in case I should have the same problem in the future.

Needless to say, Amazon has got themselves a lifelong customer because they understand the importance of 'one' happy customer :smileyvery-happy:

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 527
Solutions: 40
0 Kudos

Hi RIFbeliever,

I'm sorry for your recent experiences with B&N. I would also like to apologize for the delay in reaction on my part, this being a holiday weekend I was not at my usual post Thursday & Friday.

I certainly understand your frustration and would like to help. Can you please PM me with your account info (email, serial number) so I may at the very least review what happened here.

Again, I'm sorry for the trouble you've endured.

Thanks!

- Alex

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Contributor
RIFbeliever
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Alex,

I have sent you the response.

Thank you,

RIFBeliever

Reader 4
pdxesto

What's the status of the "erratic keyboard operation when charger is plugged in" problem? I received my refurb unit yesterday, plugged it in (as directed), then tried entering my wifi info when prompted. It was almost impossible to enter anything useful, due to the multiple letters/numbers appearing from each keyboard tap. This is apparently a well known problem, at least from the user base (Google found it easily). Does BN acknowledge this problem? If so, what is their response?

Inspired Wordsmith
A_Wilson
0 Kudos

pdxesto wrote:

What's the status of the "erratic keyboard operation when charger is plugged in" problem? I received my refurb unit yesterday, plugged it in (as directed), then tried entering my wifi info when prompted. It was almost impossible to enter anything useful, due to the multiple letters/numbers appearing from each keyboard tap. This is apparently a well known problem, at least from the user base (Google found it easily). Does BN acknowledge this problem? If so, what is their response?

pdxesto,

I remember having this problem when I first got my NC (last November) but can't remember having the issue past late spring (it was a distant bad memory 'till you reminded me).  The only thing that I can think is that they possibly fixed it with one of the updates. Do you know what version you are running on the NC?  If you aren't running 1.3 you might try updating and see if that helps the issue.

I hope this helps a little bit.

A_Wilson

"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love." - Mother Theresa

“Let us be kind, one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.” Ian McKlaren

Reader 4
pdxesto
0 Kudos

A_Wilson wrote:

pdxesto wrote:

pdxesto,

I remember having this problem when I first got my NC (last November) but can't remember having the issue past late spring (it was a distant bad memory 'till you reminded me).  The only thing that I can think is that they possibly fixed it with one of the updates. Do you know what version you are running on the NC?  If you aren't running 1.3 you might try updating and see if that helps the issue.

I hope this helps a little bit.

A_Wilson

The unit came with 1.2. I manually updated to 1.3. The problem still exists - it's impossible to use the keyboard with the charger plugged in.

So BN_AlexG, you around? Any official word from B&N? Is it the NC itself, or the cable, or the charger?

Contributor
RIFbeliever
0 Kudos

Hi Pdxesto,

Other than a B&N rep asking me for specific detailed information several days ago as to what happened - I have heard nothing back from B&N.

My concern is that Barnes and Noble may only have one Customer Service Representative taking care of all of the consumer complaint Nook issues. I know that sounds like a lot, but I once worked for a corporation where in addition to my regular assigned duties, I was the only Customer Service Representative for all of the consumer complaint issues in the United States, and abroad. Needless to say, there were times when I was overwhelmed with consumer complaints, but I did the best I could.

So I am still waiting to hear back from B&N.

Distinguished Correspondent
Keystoneco
0 Kudos

Hey RIP,

You sent the data to BN sometime Wednesday, you expect an immediate response? It's now just 48 hours later (at most).

How about giving someone a chance to research your complaints and then respond back to you?  I've always had a good experience with CS people, including B&N.  Just depends on how you approach them.

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 527
Solutions: 40
0 Kudos

Hey RIFbeliever,

Please check your inbox for my response.

- Alex

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Contributor
RIFbeliever
0 Kudos

Hey Keystoneco:

#1 - It's RIF - (Reading is Fundamental) - not RIP.

#2 - Yes, I am used to immediate responses. And I get it, from Amazon.

#3 - B&N CS has resloved the issue.

I'm not too sure what it was 'you' were trying to do - but thank you.

New User
Fontainebleau
0 Kudos

My NC randomly reset itself to the manufacturer's setting last night.  I lost all my pics and documents.  I had updated to the 1.4.1 and have lost that as well.  I've download the manual update once again to update but the hardware isn't recognizable by any of my computers.  It's so frustrating!  Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve.  It was a gift from my children for Christmas 2010.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Fontainebleau wrote:

My NC randomly reset itself to the manufacturer's setting last night.  I lost all my pics and documents.  I had updated to the 1.4.1 and have lost that as well.  I've download the manual update once again to update but the hardware isn't recognizable by any of my computers.  It's so frustrating!  Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve.  It was a gift from my children for Christmas 2010.

If this is a brand new unit, I'd take it in for exchange. It should not be doing that sort of thing to you!

Contributor
RIFbeliever
0 Kudos

Hi Fontainebleau,

I am sure the NC is a wonderful product, when it works :smileyhappy:

Unfortunately, due to all of my technical difficulties, I had to exchange mine for a Kindle Fire. I love my KF :smileyvery-happy:

You may have to send your NC back for a replacement.

One piece of advice; I would not give them your credit card number in order for them to send you a replacement!

Best of luck to you!

Inspired Contributor
ToddK
0 Kudos

How did CS resolve the "unusable keyboard while plugged into the charger" issue. I have had this issue from day one (over a year ago, and none of the updates have solved it. I just gave up and don't try to use it when it's charging, ...and now that the non-user replaceable battery is wearing out and not holding a charge for more then 4 hours, its on the charger a lot! ;-)
Reader
GimmeCoffee
0 Kudos

You're in good company.... I also purchased my Nook Color in November. Mine held out about a month... then I installed the newest update, and within a few days, it reformatted itself...brand new freshly formatted Nook Color in my hands. I reinstalled the update again, as advised by BN. Within a few more days, it was frozen at the Read Forever screen.  They replaced my brick (with a refurbished unit, which made me none too happy).  I was without a reader for 2 weeks, as that's how long it took for my replacement to arrive.  Now, only 1 1/2 months later, the microSD card won't stay inserted in the replacement Nook.  After much complaint, the first rep. I spoke to told me that they could send me a brand new replacement, but they didn't have any in stock - I should call back in a few days.  (Really?) After making it known that I didn't find that solution accpetable, I spoke to a supervisor, who agreed to send me a brand new (not refurbished) unit (I did try to get a refund but that was a no-go) and magically found one to ship out, express.  So I guess this is going to be an ongoing thing?  Very frustrated...as for those who say you have no patience, I say we have a right to expect a properly functioning product when spending over $200 for a reader.  This product has major flaws.  I also did my homework, by the way... I feel I would have gotten a better deal with Hasting's bargin reader/tablet combo, which has full Android.  Very dissapointed.

That which yields is not always weak....
New User
1234washington
0 Kudos

My new nooks comes up with a Message telling me that I donot have enough memory, This is a Color nook, and I only have 12 magazines on it, What is the problem?

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

12 different subscriptions could be quite a few copies of each magazine.  Magazines can eat a lot of room on the NC and Nook tablet - the New Yorker goes 100 meg + per copy, and anything with embedded video will also be pretty big. 

I just took a look, and don't see an obvious way to choose how many copies of a magazine live on a device.  Both the magazines I subscribe to keep 8 copies on the device.  if that's a default setting, you'd be looking at 96 total issues across 12 subscriptions - I could see that chewing up the onboard storage pretty fiece. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
New User
Bob49459
0 Kudos

I only have two really annoying issues, both involve Scrolling. I want to be able to browse my pictures while keeping their file structure and scroll through them after opening one. I have a lot of manga's saved as .jpeg's and it is really tedious trying to find the first page of the right one in the series when they are in the gallery app. I would also like a scroll bar in my library. I'm OK with my library being alphabetical, but when I want to read Zack Zublargonson I'm SOL unless I know the book name and search it, or the author, and usually end up getting unrelated results. If I try to swipe to the bottom, I usually end up opening something, and then have to go back and start over from the top. That or being able to browse by Author via the first letter of their last name.

New User
jessarr
0 Kudos

MIne has done the same exact thing. I know you posted this months ago, but the rep at my Barnes & Noble had never heard of it and I tried customer service through chat, but they couldn't help either. I was going to wait and get a new unit this Christmas when I have a bit more money, but now I can't even read my purchses on my smart phone or my laptop. What this means is I'm essentially paying for content I can't read. I sent an email to B&N and they sent me back a computer generated response. I'm not a happy camper.

New User
sadiemaeAA
0 Kudos

OK, the wife and I both have NOOK Color devices which worked well when we first got them over a year ago.  Now they both say we cannot connect to WIFI and know for a fact our WIFI is transmitting OK. Why doesn't Barnes and Noble want to help people?  They have made many Millions in profits from us customers.  Our other WIFI devices work well and have even turned them off but the NOOK refuses to operate.  We no longer can view NETFLIX using the NOOK or even use the E-Mail feature.  That's a lot of money we spent buying this product and we need help, a new NOOK or monetary compensation.