New User
pyoung

Help! Apps not installing

My Nook recently updated itself to 1.4.3 and ever since my apps won't install.  The Nook shows the apps are there but they all have 'download' beneath them.  After I click download, they seem to download and go through the process of installing.  After a few minutes,  the 'download' sign is back.  I have lots of space on the Nook and have tried a soft and hard re-boot but to no avail.  Can anyone help?

Reader 2
jmiller92
0 Kudos

Re: Help! Apps not installing

The same thing is happening with mine. I purchased several apps Sunday but not all of them would install. I contacted support yesterday and they suggested I Unregister it, so I did, but it then wouldn't install 1/2 the apps. I contacted support today and we tried several things, none of which worked. She finally suggested I restore it to factory settings. I did that, but again, less than 1/2 my apps would install. I've tried archiving them and unarchiving and still no luck. I'm not sure what to do next.

Reader
daisylane
0 Kudos

That's just great... I have the same problem but I am not willing to lose all my data, bookmarks, game scores, etc. by resetting the device. I did that once and regretted it!

Anyone hear anything new? My Nook Color just became a giant paperweight in terms of my data stored on it. Incredibly frustrating!

I know it sounds silly but I have (had) all almost finished all but one star in all the angry birds rio game (my favorite) and this update has made the game unopenable. I have worked hard at achieving these stupid stars, lol. I started over from scratch last time this happened.  I also have bookmarks and notes in all my books. I will start over with a new tablet of another brand if B&N doesn't give us some idea of why this update is so buggy and what to do about it. Grrr.

Anyone have any update on the buggy update?

Reader
daisylane

Aha! I have the answer to my particular problem (updates of apps getting stuck in download loops).

After reading some other posts here I realized it was a memory problem. I archived all apps I wasn't currently running ( I do wish they wouldn let me get rid of Chess and apps that came loaded), and I was able to then successfully update angry birds rio and others that kept asking to update over and over, like my magazines.

Evidently, the Nook Color v1.4.3 update used more memory or something changed. Give it a try, archiving other apps to make room for what you are trying to install.

I am sad that my NC seems too slow and small memory-wise already... But I am so glad I have my data intact!

New User
momma2TF
0 Kudos

I was having the same problem, so I archived a few books and apps that I didn't use as much and viola..they downloaded like they should!  

Wordsmith
Melissa19
0 Kudos

Your nook colors may need to be repartitioned to make more room for apps. What does your memory say? (xxx free of xxx) BN and other. This can be done at a BN store.
Melissa19
New User
Prax817
0 Kudos

Same issue here. I can get 10 apps installed before it stops installing. The device shows 574MB free. If I archive an installed app, I can install another one.

New User
yaya84
0 Kudos

I'm having the same issue =( when I archived and unarchive the app it tells me that "Unable To Download This item is not currently available for download to the product you are using" I made sure it was for my Nook Color. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

New User
sfin52
0 Kudos

I am having the same issue. I can't be the memory is brand new and does not have a thing loaded on it. My other 2 nooks are running the same apps just fine. I am now wishing that we went with the kindle fire instead. We will see if the tech folks can get this fixed or I will have one upset child Christmas. NC better get this fixed.

Reader 4
jadinha
0 Kudos

Even though I still had 60% of memory available, I archived a few apps to bring my available memory up to 67%.  Then the two apps that were in the download/install/download/install loop downloaded seamlessly.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

yaya, sfin52

Two things to try

First, it's not MEMORY, it's SPACE AVAILABLE for things you buy from B&N.

So it doesn't matter how much free memory you have. If you download one giant app that takes up 2 GB of space or something, then there's no more SPACE AVAILABLE for things you buy from B&N.

So please try two things

1) Try the download again after a few hours if you get 'Not available for this device'. That just means the server might be having issues.

Sometimes trying again immediately also works.

2) Archive some apps and games that you are not using or playing. You could even archive some magazines if they are very large in size.

There are apps like FIFA that take up lots and lots of space. So just check to see if you have something like that.

Now, restart the Nook Color so it will know after restart that there is free space available. Note: This step is NECESSARY.

Power Off: Press and hold power button for 20 seconds.

Power On: Press and hold power button for 4 seconds.

After restart - retry the download.

Think of it as a table with a jug on it.

Your apps and stuff you buy from B&N are not being put on the Table. Table = your disk space. So it doesn't matter if table has space or not.

They are going into the jug. Jug = Shop Partition. On some NCs it's just 1 GB. So as soon as it fills up no more apps can be downloaded.

So you have to archive some apps you aren't using (empty the jug partially) to make space.

New User
BN_Girl
0 Kudos

I see that a lot of people are having this problem to where the download sign is poping back up after you have already downloaded all of your apps. Well once I had this problem. I firgured everytime my WI-FI is at 1 or 2 bars high. I firgured that since my internet or WI-Fi settings were so low I had to make sure that my settings were up when I wanted to download something. Good Luck:smileyhappy:

New User
kten
0 Kudos

I had this problem as well and tried the suggestion of archiving and deleting unused apps and it worked!!  Wish I didn't have to do that, but still, glad I found a way to finally get these apps I paid for, without having to erase all my data or deregister my device!

Hope this works for someone else, as well!

New User
aliensnake26977
0 Kudos

I have the Nook HD.  I tried a lot of the fixes for apps not downloading and they didn't work.

I finally went back into the apps selection and looked closer at the description and found out they were not made for Nook HD.

Frequent Contributor
eaglewomanEP
0 Kudos

I found that with the Scrabble, when I got my HD+ all books and games came over from my NC escept for the scrabble. WEnt to B&N and the NOOK guy looked it up and said it wasn't ready for the HD+ yet, that an upgrade may be coming.

New User
scifigirlKS
0 Kudos

It worked! Thank you for explaining the details.