Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

Re: Hey, B&N: Your 1.4.1 Update SUCKS!

[ Edited ]

roustabout wrote:

Dee, one problem:  the tone of the OP was actually far more civil than a lot of the tone around the cookbook was - you're not hearing it,but there was a lot of humor in the OP's rant.

The anti-cookbook folks went straight up over the top and stayed there.  Remember the guy calling the FTC about the cookbook?  

And the cookbook got resolved with the next update after it was pushed in, if I remember right.    

Yeah, roustabout, some people really felt like the cookbook was the worst thing that ever happened in their lives-one should be so lucky.  It is always just that I stop listening to people when they pull out statements using words like "retard", "brain damaged", "idiot", and so on, especially when pointing them at people.  It's like since some words are rightly no longer allowable, people move onto other words that relate to real people.  Instead of saying something was ill thought or should be changed or doesn't work for this reason or that reason.  Sometimes I don't see humor in some of these things-I once went with a group of friends to a comedy club.  In our group is a girl (woman, really) who is mentally challenged.  The comic was one that was in Last Comic Standing and he started making jokes about how "retarded" people were.  We left, complained, and had to work through the hurt of our friend.  For some, words mean nothing.  For others, they mean a lot.

And Nooksie, if I mischaraterized you, I apologize.  I focused on the idea that somehow I was being self-righteous when in actuality I am just talking from experience.  I grew up in a very racist city (I am white and not clean in this regard) amongst a lot of racist people.  I've seen so many words used to insult others and I do believe in this day and age when we should be more adult, people still search for ways to insult by using words that hurt others as well.  I was pointing that out and not trying to say in any way that I am better than anyone else.  If you knew me, you'd know the exact opposite is true.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Contributor
foxyTF

Wow.. I want to thank you for this tip.  It sure beats hitting that 'N' buttion. 

Contributor
ShugaNJ

patgolfneb wrote:
I sense a new years resolution lurking here. I sometimes may have expressed frustration when my obviously superior insights didn't receive the general agreement I feel they deserve. I resolve that my response in the new year will be made with a level of passion equivalent to the importance of the issues raised. As much as it tempts me to flame the loss of the soft key and a couple of the changes that seem to have been made for the sake of change, I will remain strong. I will need your support, if the charger cord breaks before Jan. 1, all bets are off.

I am with you 100% on this!

Contributor
Escape_in_a_book
0 Kudos

compulsivereaderTX wrote:

I didn't like that I lost my authorization to ADE with the update and was glad I hadn't returned my library book yet as I had been on the waitlist for this 6 volume set of Jim Butchers Dresden files for awhile.

you should still be able to use your ADE account with the library checkouts. I had the same problem but it seemed to fix itself once I unplugged the NC from the computer for a few minutes and then tried again. Hope you get yours back because I love using library books on the NC

Escape_in_a_book
Contributor
Escape_in_a_book
0 Kudos

KnightOwl wrote:

And why should I tolerate it, anyway? Why should I "upgrade" to a Nook Tablet for $250, when I can pay another $80 or so for a proper Android tablet, with better physical stats and a better interface -- you know, the kind of interface that gives the user OPTIONS.

I agree with a lot of the things raised here about the Nook Color, the good and bad things being said. However, I just feel it's important to point out that the Nook Color is not a tablet, it's not really meant to be a tablet therefore you should not expect the level of customization and options that you would have with a tablet. The NC is meant for reading book/mag with the option of adding some other things like the internet and apps. If you bought the NC with the intention of using it like a tablet, well then that's your problem not B&N. They may have issues but at least they actively try to fix things (in my experience at least).

And yes they do need a unicode font for non-latin letters/symbols, I agree with you there.

Escape_in_a_book
Distinguished Correspondent
CB2010

I don't think it's that Knight Owl expected a tablet. I think s/he feels B&N is purposesly releasing sloppy updates and/or not addressing issues. S/He is just expecting them to make bug test these releases before dumping them on us. From the complaints I've seen already I don't WANT this upgrade.

roustabout

I would love to know if Knight Owl was able to get unicode working.  There are some user-posted workarounds for the issue.  Yes, BN sells the files and yes, they ought to support them, but are the fixes working?

On keeping on whatever release you're on now, or rolling back to 1.2 or 1.3, please take a look at

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/12/keeping-your-nc-at-12-or-13.html

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

Escape_in_a_book wrote:

I agree with a lot of the things raised here about the Nook Color, the good and bad things being said. However, I just feel it's important to point out that the Nook Color is not a tablet, it's not really meant to be a tablet therefore you should not expect the level of customization and options that you would have with a tablet. The NC is meant for reading book/mag with the option of adding some other things like the internet and apps. If you bought the NC with the intention of using it like a tablet, well then that's your problem not B&N. They may have issues but at least they actively try to fix things (in my experience at least).

And yes they do need a unicode font for non-latin letters/symbols, I agree with you there.

Funny, everything you just said about why the NC is not a tablet applies to the NT as well.  Actually, the NC is MORE customizable than the Nook non-TABLET.  Which makes people expecting to use the NT as a tablet BN's problem.

Inspired Contributor
carbonbiker

KnightOwl wrote:

You even made the Shop uglier!

The old shop is still there.... it's a click away...

Go to Shop

Select the top item in the popular lists called "Picked Just For You"

Look familiar?  It seems like they've mislabeled this, but it looks and acts just like the old shop.  I've seen a number of posts about this but I haven't seen anyone point this out yet.

Read a good nook lately?
Inspired Contributor
carbonbiker

KnightOwl wrote:

I am owed something: I paid $200+ for this device, so I am owed a certain amount of respect from the people to whom I gave my money -- and I deserve not to have its manufacturers impose stupid changes on me without the slightest consultation or choice in the matter.

Terribly sorry you find that concept so hard to grasp.

And you can stuff that pompous pontification about my harsh language. Right where the sun don't shine, lady.

Sorry... you are owed absolutely nothing.  You paid $200+ for the device, and you got... the device.  I didn't realize a big dose of respect came with the box....  If it wasn't worth $200+ to you then you should have kept your money.

For some reason people today think they're entitled to too much.  Maybe you should have given B&N $1,000, since you seem to value yourself so much that they still owe you something.  Do you really think they're obligated to take action on every single suggestion any of us make?  If they did, how cost competitive do you think they'd be?  Be glad they do listen to some of the suggestions.  Believe it or not, some are better than yours, but yours get lost in the ether thanks to your lack of consideration.  Treat people with respect.... you may get more in return.

Read a good nook lately?
Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25

[ Edited ]

I promise to make this response's tone totally consistent with the tone of the OP.

KnightOwl: You suck.

There are titles under the app icons because B&N did precisely what you accused them of NOT doing--They listened to their customers! Some of us--me included--were extremely frustrated trying to remember which app went with that unlabeled icon. Telling us what the icon links to seems pretty much like common sense. Something you're short on. You said "All my 100x1024 wallpapers worked just fine with no cropping." How many wallpapers did you have on your device? Unless you worked a miracle, I'd guess just one. So this cropping is an issue you addressed ONE time before installing your current wallpaper.

"Are you people friggin' brain damaged?" Brain damaged, eh? Then why on earth haven't you done the forum here a huge favor and make available to all of us YOUR modified software that corrects this problem? After all, you're their intellectual superior, right? So I assume you've corrected this shortcoming in your version of the software?

Oh and then you go into this crybaby fit about why not make OPTIONS to us since we own the device. But of course, you limit this to wanting options for YOUR preferences. What makes you think that YOUR preferences are the ones that call for "options"? Why not an option about whether you want the power key on the right or the left button? OPTIONS, man....it's my device....I deserve to turn it on from either side, right? Why not an "OPTION" to have the underlying OS be Windows Phone? OPTIONS, dear boy....as the owner do I not get to decide the OS? Where is the "OPTION" to have it play PONG? I'm offended that as the owner they won't provide me this BASIC OPTION. Bottom line: You bought the device that THEY are selling, and YOU agreed to THEIR terms and THEIR options when you registered it. If you weren't satisfied with that, you had the OPTION to return it. You are incorrect that the Shop is uglier. YOU are uglier, but it looks better. How could you not see that? Blind much? Besides, as someone else pointed out, the old Shop is still there by selecting the top item in the shop entitled "Picked Just for You." I guess reading skills are not that great for YOU SUPERIOR folks with undamaged brains. Your complaint about landscape mode: The very reason I do not read in landscape mode on Kindle is that I can't figure out how to get it in two-page format. I thought the idea was to simulate a book! And if, when I turn the book in landscape mode, it's all one huge page, where I lose my spot as I read across the column, how is that like a book at all? I would never read in landscape mode if it's all one single-column mess. That's not a mistake....it's again, common sense--which you lack.

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Richard, right on. One of the reasons I don't download library books directly to my Xoom us because the native reader app doesn't have split into 2 pages. I can use the BN oapp, if I sideload. Beyond that the variety of viewpoints, as you pointed out, mean nobody gets everything the may want at this price point. More importantly the take no prisoners attitude comes periously close to fanaticism. I think that the, right is only on our side attitude and the polarization that it engenders is a huge contributor to the widespread societal dysfunction in our institutions today.
Inspired Contributor
carbonbiker

This whole thread makes me wish this forum had a feature like many others on the web -- and let us "block" or "ignore" objectionable posters once and for all. 

I'd block the person that started this thread.

Read a good nook lately?
Wordsmith
daenas

[ Edited ]

Richardwrite25:  "There are titles under the app icons because B&N did precisely what you accused them of NOT doing--They listened to their customers! Some of us--me included--were extremely frustrated trying to remember which app went with that unlabeled icon."--

I've been on this board since I've had my NC (almost a year) and I haven't ONCE seen anyone complain that there is no text labels for the apps.  Not one.  The most complaints I have seen have been about the cookbook, wifi, the gallery, the BN stock images/wallpaper and video one could never delete..etc, but nothing about text labels.  I can't image anyone not remembering what apps they have on their screens, including myself and I have 72 apps.  The 3rd screen I had games on it, the first screen had useful apps and the bar along the bottom I had place most used apps. My memory isn't what it used to be (approaching 50 soon) but I still can remember my apps at least.  The OP isn't the only one complaining about the text labels either, there have been others along with myself.  BN should have made it optional period.

The wallpaper cropping is another sore spot with me and I've complained about it here on the boards as well.  I have over 30 wallpapers, most were perfectly cropped for the NC and now to use them the NC is requiring me to recrop them again.  This isn't an upgrade feature.  The only reason I can think why BN would change the display is for Netflix video streaming but at least they could have given us a heads up or an opt out button..something at least!  Also the email app is a catastrophe!  I'm not sure why they messed with it, but they did and not in a good way.

Granted the OP was rude, came on waaaay too strong, and juvenile in their language and opinion, but they do have valid points and they aren't alone.  I just rerooted mine and I will not spend another dime on BN products.

Distinguished Correspondent
SIGal67

OP's hostility is disturbing. He/she needs to seek professional help I think. Getting that hateful and vicious over something so trivial is not normal. You need help for your anger issues. You're scary.

Wordsmith
mbratch

daenas wrote:

I've been on this board since I've had my NC (almost a year) and I haven't ONCE seen anyone complain that there is no text labels for the apps.  Not one.

I'm not so sure that these forums are B&Ns primary source of input from customers. For those of us on the forums, we start to think that they are the center of B&N's customer universe, but they aren't. B&N gets a lot of support input via email and from people walking in stores and commenting. In addition, they've indicated that the forums are not here for the purpose of B&N official support but for user interaction, although they do lurk here and pick do gather some input from here. All that said, I'm quite surprised about all the fuss over text labels and wall paper.

Wordsmith
daenas
0 Kudos

mbratch wrote:

daenas wrote:

I've been on this board since I've had my NC (almost a year) and I haven't ONCE seen anyone complain that there is no text labels for the apps.  Not one.

I'm not so sure that these forums are B&Ns primary source of input from customers. For those of us on the forums, we start to think that they are the center of B&N's customer universe, but they aren't. B&N gets a lot of support input via email and from people walking in stores and commenting. In addition, they've indicated that the forums are not here for the purpose of B&N official support but for user interaction, although they do lurk here and pick do gather some input from here. All that said, I'm quite surprised about all the fuss over text labels and wall paper.

While I understand this forum is not the "be all, end all" to everyone's opinions, but it would be fair to say that EVENTUALLY those opinions or complaints (or simlar) will end up here.

All the fuss about text labels has to do with, "I don't want them"..simple..  Wallpaper-that means having to recrop everything we had either in the NC or on our computers to make them fit the screen again.  I have a wallpaper that came with my NC skin and it fit perfectly (seamless) until the update.  Now I can't use it as the NC wants me to crop it. I didn't fuss about the cookbook or landscaping reading ability either..to each their own.  Just because it doesn't bother you, doesn't mean it won't bother someone else.

Frequent Contributor
joestravels
0 Kudos

Yes I agree, having used pocket pcs and palms I expect the button to fail. You couldn't of made this a selectable option. Is BN going to extend the warranty on the button? I also found a site that said I need the latest adobe flash update. WHAT? I just got the update and now this? It could be a error on the site but could BN at least allow the comsumer to update the flash without waiting for BN to do it? I also agree that BN has not addressed issues I have seen posted in past commments.
Frequent Contributor
joestravels
0 Kudos

Wow I missed that one! The FTC? Reminds me of the guy who called 911 about his iphone not working. Or the woman who was going to get the "internet police" to investigate why her son or grandson was having problems with something on the internet.
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

joestravels wrote:
Yes I agree, having used pocket pcs and palms I expect the button to fail.

Why is that?  I've used Handspring Visors and Palms for 10 years and only had a button fail on me twice.  Heck, I've had displays fail on me that many times.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria