Contributor
JudeH
0 Kudos

Highlights & Notes are private?

When I first created a note, I found it strange that the Nook used the term "post" instead of "save."

I didn't make much of that until I recently read an article about how the Kindle not only follows what you highlights, but adds it to a database on their website that shows things popularly highlighted.

Does the Nook do that?

I absolutely do not want my highlights and notes uploaded, examined, or published.  That's something that would cause me to SELL my Nook immediately and never return to B&N e-products.

Is there an official B&N statement about their intentions on this?

Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61
0 Kudos

Re: Highlights & Notes are private?

My experience with highlights, notes, and bookmarks is that B&N app will keep them @ B&N so when you use their NookReader app in Windoze or another platform, those highlights, notes, and bookmarks will be available. Or if you go back to the NC to read, they will be available there too.

As for the other uses you mentioned, I am clueless. I am not sure that quotes, notes, or bookmarks have any value. You might want to read their privacy statement(s) and user licenses.

Not all who wander are lost. ---J. R. R. Tolkien
Nook HD 8 GB, Stock Root and Other Mods
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Oops, replied for the wrong device.  Nothing to see here.  :smileyhappy:

Contributor
JudeH
0 Kudos

But are these private?

I went ahead and tested on Nook PC, finding my highlights and annotations were indeed synch'd.  What I do not want is for my annotations to be dumped in with others.

We should have the option to disable this.

I intend to go through the user licenses.  If I cannot confirm our privacy, I will be also telling my family and friends NOT to buy Kindle or Nooks. 

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

I guess it depends on what you mean by "private" and "dumped in with others."

Have played with the kindle app on DH's iPad.  There seems to be an option if you want to share "Popular Highlights".  (It is a little disconcerting the first time you come across it though.  There are all these little dots under text.  If you highlight something, and tap on it again, you get a pop up message that says "xxx other people highlighted this part of the text.")

On the Nooks, you have an option to select text and then highlight, add a note, share with a friend (which is an email BTW), look up or find.  So your highlights and notes currently get sync'd to your personal account (though IMO notes has been broken since ver 1.3 since you can't easily find them --- you have to flip through the book now, which makes the whole point of an ebook note incredibly inefficient.) But I have yet to come across "Popular Highlights" concept that amazon has implemented in the nook software.  That's not to say that they couldn't implement it at a later date, but the nook software has lots of other "reader centric" issues/problems that IMO should probably fixed first. 

And if you are concerned about privacy, you should probably read this post "Your eBook Reader is Reading You" in the Community Room.  http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Community-Room/Your-EBook-is-Reading-You/m-p/1355788/message-... 

Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61
0 Kudos

NookGardener wrote:

I guess it depends on what you mean by "private" and "dumped in with others."....

On the Nooks, ..... (though IMO notes has been broken since ver 1.3 since you can't easily find them --- you have to flip through the book now, which makes the whole point of an ebook note incredibly inefficient.) 

On my 1.4.3, I can easily find my notes and highlights by center press to bring up the bottom bar, press the Content tab, and the Notes and Highlights tab appears. Pressing on a highlight takes you to the highlight.

Also, my experience is that if you have sideloaded epubs, make sure you have book in the NookColor memory, not the uSD memory card. For some reason, the notes and highlights do not work well with epub's on the uSD memory card. Plus, I do not believe that sideloaded epub notes and highlights are sync'ed since B&N would not have that in your account files. 

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Yes, you can select Contents and then Highlights and see those.  But you can't see your NOTES unless you page through (unless I am missing something.)  Prior to ver 1.3, you had a list of your notes which you could easily access. (And it works like IMO it should on the Nook iPad app, so it ticks me off right now.)   Think JULIE ("Kids liked this recipe."  "Quick and Easy." etc.) 

Didn't realize that treated books loaded on main memory differently than on sd Card.  But as you pointed out, they don't sync to anything anyway, so I have pretty much given up highlighting sideloaded books anyway.  But thanks for the pointers.

Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61
0 Kudos

In 1.4.3, the selected word/phrase that the note is attached to becomes a highlight. Unfortunately, under the Notes & Highlights tab, only the highlighted text appears with no indicatation that a note is attached to it. :smileysad: I now understand your point. The tab should have the words '& Highlights' grayed-out to indicate this fault.

It would have been nice if they included something like this for notes: last note edited: 07/17/12, 8:46 AM. One could then differentiate between highlights and notes. Come to think of it, highlights are edited?....

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

For what it's worth, you can turn off this feature on the Kindle.
Contributor
JudeH
0 Kudos

It is nice to hear we can disable this on the KINDLE.

:smileysad:

I would differentiate between being able to sync annotations between MY Nook apps and having that data placed in the hands of other people. 

What would make B&N believe we want our annotations in the hands of others?  Without choice.

If you ONLY do casual reading of fiction, this wouldn't matter.

If you do more professional non-fiction reading, research, or other activities then you definitely don't want your notes uploaded for other people to sort.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

JudeH wrote:

It is nice to hear we can disable this on the KINDLE.

:smileysad:

I would differentiate between being able to sync annotations between MY Nook apps and having that data placed in the hands of other people. 

What would make B&N believe we want our annotations in the hands of others?  Without choice.

If you ONLY do casual reading of fiction, this wouldn't matter.

If you do more professional non-fiction reading, research, or other activities then you definitely don't want your notes uploaded for other people to sort.

Why do you think that B&N is putting your annotations in the hands of others?  Is it the word "POST"?  (Poor word choice, I agree.)  On the Nook for iPad app, the same field is appropriately named "SAVE"

Agree with you about not wanting to "share" professional non-fiction reading, etc.  But the limitations of the Nook app make using it for that purpose pretty useless anyway (IMO.)  Am referring to sideloaded epubs here -- your highlights, notes etc aren't backed up to anything. (Though you can back up DRM free sideloaded PDF files.)

keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

JudeH wrote:

Did, I miss something here?  The original post was asking if this feature existed on the nook like it does on the kindle.  Where did we get to the idea that it IS on the nook?  It seems like a big leap in logic to me.

Contributor
JudeH
0 Kudos

The original post and topic is about privacy, not features.

This was spawned by reading the article mentioned by somebody else up above which pointed out the most popularly highlighted lines in various books.  My question is whether B&N is tracking our highlights and annotations.

When I make an annotation on my Nook, currently, it comes up on my Nook PC app which means it's being uploaded to their servers.  Is it private?  What are B&N's intentions?

I would stop buying their products if they cannot promise that my annotations are private.

I would assume many people, especially professionals working with non-fiction, would feel the same.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Well, the short answer is that B&N most likely has no intentions, that there is no "popular highlights" listing on B&N, and there probably never will be.  B&N can't be bothered to make notes and highlights functional for most uses - they've made it clear they have no intention of even doing that much, let alone providing the ability to share.

You seem to be making quite a mountain of anger out of, well, nothing. Until you find evidence that B&N is posting your notes elsewhere, or a statement from B&N that they are intending to doing so, there's really nothing I can see to get mad about.  Form what I can tell you make a huge leap in logic and are now in a huff over your own assumptions.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

@ JudeH

Apologize if my reply confused you.  The Popular Highlights feature is NOT currently on the Nook App. 

Contributor
debjax

My experience with the NC is that any highlights I make on my Nook STAY on my nook and do not sync to the app on my PC. My position in the book does not sync from the NC to the pc either, it is strictly a one-way transfer, from pc TO Nook. Since I purchased this to use for reading textbooks for school while on the road, I am very disappointed with the device, since I was told it sync'd across ALL devices. I will be purchasing a Fire as soon as the new one comes out.
Wordsmith
doncr
0 Kudos

Just a guess, but I would imagine that BN are using the data in conjuction with authors and publishers to help improve their books (and they are likely charging them for this info/service).  

From the aforementioned article (Your EBook is Reading You), they are saving and sharing the data in aggregate form with the publishers and are not tracking it per individual.  Or so they claimed a few weeks ago...