Contributor
historyprof0289
0 Kudos

How To Get Android Apps on Nook Color?!?

I thought we would get full access to andoid app store when the Nook Color updates. Sadly that was not true.

There are several Android Apps that I would like to put on my nook color. Any way of doing this? (i.e. Huffinton Post App, etc.).

Inspired Wordsmith
TigerShawk

Re: How To Get Android Apps on Nook Color?!?

Google Nook2Android.

Distinguished Correspondent
JohnF76
0 Kudos

B&N has been upfront, as far as I know, about android apps...the only ones they've allowed are ones from their own "App Store".

You can get around that by rooting your Nook Color, or booting CM7 (as a dual boot or from a side card), then installing the Android Apps market, but you have to make a choice here, as this may void your warranty. There are plenty of resources, both here, XDA, NookDevs, Youtube, etc if you want to do some research on what this implies.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

If you don't want to buy an n2a card and give up the stock Nook interface, you can simply root your NC.

The technique for 1.2 uses a tool called Manual Nooter.

Instructions and links to files :

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-want-to-root-my-nc.html

You want to use the third technique for 1.2.

Once you have it rooted, you want to pay attention to installing Titanium, uninstalling the BN flash and then reinstalling Flash from the market. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
New User
sageLa
0 Kudos

could you exsplain to me how to get that

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

I made my own N2A card using this link. And works like a champ. As can dual boot on startup to B&N side or let it boot normally to CM7 android. Leaving the Nook Color untouched.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

I happen to download annd install a couple of apps directly from browsing the Android Market... but where did they actually go, since they dont show up on the Nook Apps home page ? Btw - I normally run the N2A sd card in Android mode, but was curious if I could install apps from the Android market while on the native Nook side.
Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Look for a open/close app drawer will open apps page that is where all apps are. To put on home page hold finger on app until menu pops up and move or drag where you want it to be.

To move apps to different screens same way hold finger on app until popup then can move how you want them.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Frequent Contributor
roxmysoxGA

ps56k wrote:
I happen to download annd install a couple of apps directly from browsing the Android Market... but where did they actually go, since they dont show up on the Nook Apps home page ? Btw - I normally run the N2A sd card in Android mode, but was curious if I could install apps from the Android market while on the native Nook side.

If you downloaded Market apps while browsing with the stock OS, they should be in your browser's download folder.  In order to install them, you will have to either manually move them to the N2A card or send them to Dropbox, if you have that app installed. IIRC, you can  browse to the files once you have them on the N2A card, click on them, and they will install.  If you use Dropbox, just click on the filename and you will be asked if you want to install it.

I'm fairly certain you won't be able to install them to the native Nook side.

Frequent Contributor
roxmysoxGA
0 Kudos

sageLa wrote:

could you exsplain to me how to get that

The N2A card?

http://n2acards.com/ 

Or same thing from different people:

http://www.rootmynookcolor.com/

Or you could do it yourself:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1000957

It's really not that hard to do :-)

Contributor
rockstr009
0 Kudos

I'd be careful with doing this, it doesn't really "leave the nook color untouched". At least in my experience. With the last update, I couldn't get the update to start even with the SD card out. I ended up having to do a full restore and update, then put all my apps and books back on. Pretty sure I lost all my bookmarks, too.

Inspired Contributor
BeachCatFan
0 Kudos

rockstr009 wrote:

I'd be careful with doing this, it doesn't really "leave the nook color untouched". At least in my experience. With the last update, I couldn't get the update to start even with the SD card out. I ended up having to do a full restore and update, then put all my apps and books back on. Pretty sure I lost all my bookmarks, too.

I use the n2a card and removed it before I sideloaded the update. I had no problem updating whatsoever.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

rockstr009 wrote:

If you installed ClockworkMod to internal eMMC memory, then it breaks B&N updates. There is a work around that would not have required a wipe and reload if that was your problem. You do not need to install CWM to eMMC to run off of a bootable SD card.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

rockstr009 wrote:

Yeah, an added inconvenience is for an update, you ought to roll back to stock, do the update, then root the update ... and you ought to wait until the gnomes at xda have checked out whether there are any gotchas with the update. So if you have a rooted Nook, you'd not necessarily want it to automatically update.

Personally, if Crunchyroll, YouTube and Crackle were available at B&N and if there was a long press option in the stock browser to download to your preferred folder in your MyFiles section ... I wouldn't bother rooting.

Reader
MargoCarey
0 Kudos

put a n2a card in your nook an it will be a droid