Distinguished Wordsmith
rbentley101

How To Get Your Outlook Calendar On Nook

[ Edited ]

We all know that the Calendar on the Nook and on most apps for rooted Nooks only syncs with your Google calendar.  This is a major limitation for those who use Outlook.  Fortunately there is an easy way around this.

1. Make sure you're using a supported operating system and Outlook version.
  2. Download Google Calendar Sync (version 0.9.4.0) at http://dl.google.com/dl/googlecalendarsync/googlecalendarsync_installer.exe  You do this on your PC NOT on your Nook.
  3. Once a dialog box appears, click Save File. The downloaded file should open automatically. If it doesn't, manually open it from your browser's download window.
  4. Click OK to confirm that you're aware this is an executable file.
  5. Read through the Google Calendar Sync Terms of Service, and click I Agree.
  6. Follow through the Installation Options and click Install to finish the set-up process.

Once Google Calendar Sync is installed on your computer, the Google Calendar Sync Settings window will appear:

Google Calendar Sync Settings window

In the Settings window, enter your email address and password and select the Sync Option you prefer. Read about each Sync Option.

You'll also be able to set the time interval for syncing to occur. Please keep in mind that 10 minutes is the minimum time interval allowed.

After the initial set-up, you can access the Google Calendar Sync Settings window again by double-clicking the calendar icon in your Windows System Tray.

This will automatically sync your Outlook calendar to your Google calendar.  Two way sync is available so changes you make on your Nook will sync back to your Outlook.

Contributor
claudiajeann
0 Kudos

Re: How To Get Your Outlook Calendar On Nook

WooHoo!!!!!!!!!!  I've been putting off thinking real hard about how to do this, now I don't have to!!!

Thank you, rbentley101 - and a laurel to you, also      :smileyhappy:

Contributor
KevinMA
0 Kudos

hey,

Thats cool, but is it possible to do this kinda of thing with a hotmail account??

And there was Nookcolor :smileyhappy:

...Running Honeycomb from Mirco SD and dual Boot!

Sweet!
Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

Wow! That would have been great to use on my droid phone as well. Instead, I forked over the $40 for Missing Sync for Android to  sync my Outlook calendar with my phone and nook. Wish I had known about this sooner. Thanks for posting.

Does this work for contacts too?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

Just realized this only works when you are connected to wifi and in google in the web browser, correct? No way to sync it to Fliq or any calendar app from B&N (if you are unrooted) yet, right?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Distinguished Wordsmith
rbentley101
0 Kudos

I am rooted and was right from the first so I can't accurately comment on what happens to unrooted devices.  When you root you get a default Google calendar app as well as a contacts one.  When I ran the Google Outlook sync it synced over both by calendar entries as well as my contacts.  My PC did have to be connected to the internet (wifi or lan) in order to upload to the Google servers (obviously). 

The calendar entries showed up almost immediately on my Nook which was connected to wifi at the time.  It will obviously have to be connected via wifi to send and receive updates and edits.  You do not have to be connected to the internet in order to make changes however and they are simply synced back the next time you are connected.

It really works seemlessly and quite efficently.  I am very impressed and happy with it.

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

Thanks for the quick answer. Since I am not rooted, I don't think it would work for my Nook - but it would have worked wonderfully for my Droid phone! It might have made me think twice about rooting my nook too.

Distinguished Wordsmith
rbentley101
0 Kudos

I really dont see why you would need to be rooted.  All this app does is sync your Outlook on your PC with yoru Google calendar.  Don't the stock Nooks connect to a Google calendar?  If so it should work.  Sorry if that sounds very elementary but I have been rooted from day 3 of owning my Nookcolor.

You really dont need to be rooted to use Google Calendar Sync.  I was already using it on my PC before I even got a Nook and it kept my Outlook calendar synced with a Google calendar that I could reach and edit from on any computer. 

From what I have been hearing however, It is vastly easier to link and sync your Nook calendar to your Google one on your Nook if you are rooted.  Just one more reason to do so, really.

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

rbentley101 wrote:

I really dont see why you would need to be rooted.  All this app does is sync your Outlook on your PC with yoru Google calendar.  Don't the stock Nooks connect to a Google calendar?  If so it should work.  Sorry if that sounds very elementary but I have been rooted from day 3 of owning my Nookcolor.

No - the stock Nooks do not have the Google calendar app. The only calendar app is Fliq calendar which only syncs with Missing Sync ($40). You can use the browser of course to go to your Google calendar there but that only works when you have wifi access. In other words, you can't open your calendar and add an appointment at a doctor's office if you don't have wifi.

Reader 2
monkeyshiners
0 Kudos

I'm confused, would I still need to get the missing sync application or is this a way to bypass buying other synced downloads?

Distinguished Correspondent
JohnF76
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You don't need to install missing sync for this to work on rooted/CM7 nooks. I've used this myself, works great on the rooted or CM7 boot nooks, as well as Android phones with Gmail.

The only problem is on your original PC or Mac that it's installed on...it won't update your Nook if the PC/Mac is turned off, and you really don't want the thing syncing every hour (I set my for every 6 hours)...it may slow things down, especially if you have a ton of appointments..

Reader 2
monkeyshiners
0 Kudos

afteer re-reading the initial post, i'm thinking it sounds like there is a way to sync to a google calendar with a nook (mine is not rooted)? Or is that what the missing sync thing is about? i'm really not excited about paying 40 bucks to back up my calendar...

Contributor
quilt-diva
0 Kudos

Can you actually put the google calendar onto the nook color instead of the outlook?  I don't have outlook but would LOVE to have the google calendar on my nook.

Thanks

New User
HeyMac
0 Kudos

Great, but how about a Mac driver with Tiger?

hm

Contributor
kmoffat
0 Kudos

I can't find any way to sync to google calendar/contacts on a non-rooted nook tablet. I have 1.4.0, and have enabled loading from other sources, but still no google sync. I may have to return it and pay the higher price for a real Android device. This is confusing, since google is a big part of the Android appeal for me. (the ease of use of google features.)

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

rbentley101 wrote:

We all know that the Calendar on the Nook and on most apps for rooted Nooks only syncs with your Google calendar.

Wait I need to back up to this step. What Nook calendar are you saying syncs with Google calendar? Nook doesn't come with a calendar, and I've not found a NC calendar app that does. Thanks.

New User
yasin1962
0 Kudos

It does not work. Please help.

yasin

Reader
ehanson57
0 Kudos

I have an UNROOTED Nook Tablet.  I followed the directions, downloaded google sync, loaded it onto my PC, synced it with my PC, open a window for google calendar on my browser on my nook and there was my newly synced calendar.  I updated my calendar on the nook, synced and there on my pc was the change in Google Calendar.  I have not gotten it to sync with my Outlook calendar, yet.

Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61
0 Kudos

On your PC, right click on the Google Calendar Sync icon on your task bar and select "Sync".

Not all who wander are lost. ---J. R. R. Tolkien
Nook HD 8 GB, Stock Root and Other Mods
Reader
jnptz
0 Kudos

That Google sync program is no longer available as of Dec. 2012. Any thoughts on what to do now?