New User
Bill0208
0 Kudos

How do I delete Apps form the Nook Color (1.2)?

There is no option to remove or uninstall Apps...

Contributor
nooky56
0 Kudos

Re: How do I delete Apps form the Nook Color (1.2)?

you have to go to your account on the bn website and delete them from there. 

Reader 2
globalsearch
0 Kudos

As someone who spends little time near wifi it is extremely inconvenient  to have to connect in order to delete an app.  That function should be on the unit.

I am 52.  I don't facebook, twitter, etc.  I only read and maybe show pictures of my grandkids.  I chose not to do anything unauthorized like rooting, even though I thought the andraiod apps have some good uses.

And I am extremely upset that after I connected recently it upgrade to the 1.2 but also loaded this "Nook freinds" app that is in beta.  This app locks up my unit on a daily basis and you cant seem to turn it off or remove it.  So now I am being used as an unwilling beta tester?

I am upset that this unit now needs to be tethered to a wifi connection for just about everything.  Its like I have no control about what and when this thing does anything.  I am seriously reconsidering wether to go the rooting method simply to remove the stranglehold that B&N has on MY PIECE OF EQUIPMENT.

DRV
Wordsmith
DRV

globalsearch wrote:

I am upset that this unit now needs to be tethered to a wifi connection for just about everything.  Its like I have no control about what and when this thing does anything.  I am seriously reconsidering wether to go the rooting method simply to remove the stranglehold that B&N has on MY PIECE OF EQUIPMENT.

Were you aware that the NC has no 3G connection and relies on WiFi to load or unload books and apps when you bought it?  If so, I don't understand your complaint.  You knew how it worked but you don't like it yet you still bought it.  Your compaint is with yourself, not B&N.

If not, how do you blame B&N for the fact that you bought an NC without knowing how it works?  If I buy a Ford and find it doesn't get 100 mpg, can I complain to Ford?

Distinguished Correspondent
TNTLamb
0 Kudos

Whats the problem eith unloadinh and archiving?
There are 293 ways to make changes for a dollar.... No wonder we see things differently
Reader 2
globalsearch

[ Edited ]

DRV - First of all, I am fully aware of how it works. And 3G was not an option nor did I want that, Do not assume lack of awareness as lack of knowledge/ You misunderstood the complaint. I want to be able to manage my content and apps that are already on my unit without any wifi connections (or 3g for that matter) I want full control of what is on the unit and what is running. A task manager is needed as well as a working file manager to rename move or delete files. My complaint about the nook friends is that I DO NOT WANT IT. GET IT?

Oh and your Ford comparison..seriously?  If you want to be accurate then think about this - would you want your percious Ford to make random turns with you not being able to stop it?  That is a much better analogy than your ridiculous MPH comparison .

Seriously, what do you do here of value?

Next time you belittle a legitimate complaint, check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259

globalsearch wrote:

As someone who spends little time near wifi it is extremely inconvenient  to have to connect in order to delete an app.  That function should be on the unit.

It is.  Just press and hold on an app on the apps screen.  Then select Archive from the popup options.  It will be deleted off you NookColor, and you don't have to have a wifi connection to do so.

And I am extremely upset that after I connected recently it upgrade to the 1.2 but also loaded this "Nook freinds" app that is in beta.  This app locks up my unit on a daily basis and you cant seem to turn it off or remove it.  So now I am being used as an unwilling beta tester?

Unfortunately, I can't help you out with Nook Friends.  While it is a pre-loaded app that you can't delete or Archive, I've never launched it.  Nor have I had it run by itself.  So I've never even seen it, and I don't know what to tell you on that one. 

I am a bit surprised to hear that it runs by itself and locks your NC on a daily basis.  This isn't a complaint I've heard elsewhere.  (Not doubting you, and I'd be annoyed as well if it were happening to me.)

- Mark

New User
chuckascp
0 Kudos

To Distinguished Correspondent

I don't think that your response is very nice, in fact  the instructions that came with the nook color do not tell you how to delete the apps.

Also I had problems loading the new software. I called tech service  and received a person who was not from this country and had such an accent that I could not understand him. Why would B&N go to an other country when we have many people in the US who could use a job.

I really do have some other questions for B&N .

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

globalsearch wrote:

I am 52.  I don't facebook, twitter, etc.  I only read and maybe show pictures of my grandkids.  I chose not to do anything unauthorized like rooting, even though I thought the andraiod apps have some good uses.

This is not normal. I use nook friends and it never opens unless I open it. You might want to check your settings for it or call CS.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Wordsmith
Serendip
0 Kudos

globalsearch wrote:

I don't use Nook Friends app, and it doesn't open or do anything at all on my NC, other than take up a space in the Apps folder.

What is it doing, that you know this is what is causing your NC to lock? (I want to know what to notice! :smileyhappy: )

I don't find myself tethered to wifi more now than I was before, unless I choose to use the Web and email and such. As before, it was always needed for loading B&N books, and that hasn't changed.

DRV
Wordsmith
DRV

globalsearch wrote:

DRV - First of all, I am fully aware of how it works. And 3G was not an option nor did I want that, Do not assume lack of awareness as lack of knowledge/ You misunderstood the complaint. I want to be able to manage my content and apps that are already on my unit without any wifi connections (or 3g for that matter) I want full control of what is on the unit and what is running. A task manager is needed as well as a working file manager to rename move or delete files. My complaint about the nook friends is that I DO NOT WANT IT. GET IT?

Dude, I'm not assuming anything.  You're complaining that you don't have a task manager.  Guess what?  We all want a task manager.  But you knew you didn't have "full control" of your NC but you bought it anyway.  Like I said, you're gripe isn't with B&N.  B&N has a "stranglehold" on your Nook?  Puhlease.  You act like this is some major flaw.  Just ignore the files until you get near WiFi or a computer.  As to Nook Friends, I didn't say anything about that so there's nothing for me to GET.  GET IT?

Oh and your Ford comparison..seriously?  If you want to be accurate then think about this - would you want your percious Ford to make random turns with you not being able to stop it?  That is a much better analogy than your ridiculous MPH comparison .

Seriously, what do you do here of value?

Seriously, you've made 2 posts here and you know all about me?  Seriously.

Next time you belittle a legitimate complaint, check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Like I said, you don't have a complaint.  You're wishing for a new feature that you know wasn't there when you bought the Nook.  If B&N had said there was a task manager and it wasn't there, then you'd have a complaint.  Everyone who owns an NC knows you need WiFi or a computer connection to do file management.

Reader 2
globalsearch
0 Kudos

DRV - as a minority of one I was not aware that prolific postings were a prerequisite for voicing legitimate concern question or complaint.

You must be filling the role as the local shill - why else would you jump right on top of me on a problem that is being experience by other users but may not have been voiced in the way that I have.

Thank you for your distraction and total useless help.  Its so nice that this forum is being dominated by primadonnas who have made it their private preserve, 

Reader beware, there be angry obnoxious bears here.

Reader 2
globalsearch
0 Kudos

Mark_OB1 - thank you for that suggestion for deleting/archiving.  I will try that later today.

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif

globalsearch, everything you posted in this thread made perfect sense to me.  Your right as the owner of my Nookcolor, I should have complete control over what is allowed to install on my Nookcolor.  B&N pushing apps or books or whatever is an invasion of my privacy.

I think B&N has miscalculated on this aspect, thinking they have a customer tied to them so they can take advantage and push market products by installing them on the Nookcolor.  If B&N would push ads which offered the app or book instead, which we could delete the ad. and the apps or books offered for a trial period, that would be one thing.  But to forcibly install a book or ad is plain wrong, no different that unwanted adware which some sites force onto your computer via the browser.

If B&N wants to build a huge following of loyal Nookcolor lovers, it is not a good idea to annoy your customers with unwanted cluttering junk, especially if they don't provide a built in mechanism to delete that junk.

Welcome to the forum, I look forward to more of your posts.

Contributor
Dragonfire411
0 Kudos

yocalif wrote:

globalsearch, everything you posted in this thread made perfect sense to me.  Your right as the owner of my Nookcolor, I should have complete control over what is allowed to install on my Nookcolor.  B&N pushing apps or books or whatever is an invasion of my privacy.

I think B&N has miscalculated on this aspect, thinking they have a customer tied to them so they can take advantage and push market products by installing them on the Nookcolor.  If B&N would push ads which offered the app or book instead, which we could delete the ad. and the apps or books offered for a trial period, that would be one thing.  But to forcibly install a book or ad is plain wrong, no different that unwanted adware which some sites force onto your computer via the browser.

If B&N wants to build a huge following of loyal Nookcolor lovers, it is not a good idea to annoy your customers with unwanted cluttering junk, especially if they don't provide a built in mechanism to delete that junk.

Welcome to the forum, I look forward to more of your posts.

Funny, I've never seen anything pushed on to me by B&N for my Nook color.  Yes, I knew it came with pre-installed apps, even the original Nook had pre-installed apps, big deal.  I have never seen a new app pop up on my screen or any type of add for one come up either forcing me to install something.  I have to physically look for and install any and all apps, just like on my phone.  I don't wake up one morning and see a new app or book on my main screen, it doesn't work that way.

As far as the Nook friends app, it doesn't run unless I'm connected to a wireless connection.  I've never had it lock up my Nook, not once.  The app is still in beta form so there are issues but nothing that has prevented or disrupted the use of my Nook.  From what I've heard from tech support, they know there are issues with it, it's a beta test.  They didn't realize that it was going to be such a big hit so they didn't worry so much about getting all the kinks worked out before release.  Kind of sounds like a few Window OS versions a few years back...

"If you do what you've always done, you get what you've always gotten." - Alwyn Cosgrove
New User
59Catalina
0 Kudos

Thank you, Mark_OB1, for answering the question re: "How to delete an app?"

Inspired Contributor
CaptainGuy
0 Kudos

Is a wi-fi connection required to complete the process?  It is not really a deletion, but moving the app to the archive folder for further action.  As for books, If you visit your archived shelf, you'll see the books there.  You must then go to BN.com and complete.

7 & 2 and still playing with the new.
Mark_OB1

59Catalina wrote:

Thank you, Mark_OB1, for answering the question re: "How to delete an app?"

You're welcome.  Unfortunately, sometimes a simple question can get lost in the "noise".

- Mark

Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

CaptainGuy wrote:

Is a wi-fi connection required to complete the process?  It is not really a deletion, but moving the app to the archive folder for further action.  As for books, If you visit your archived shelf, you'll see the books there.  You must then go to BN.com and complete.

Captain, I am pretty sure that no wi-fi connection is required.  I just deleted a couple apps, and AFAICT they're gone from my NC.  I certainly can't launch them.  If the NC was not truly deleting them and freeing up space, then it would be no help in making room available for other Apps when your space became full.  And thus, it would be useless.

And yes, the NC does retain a link back to your archived App (or Book, as you noted).  Without it, you'd have no way to retrieve it later by Unarchiving, if you ever decided to.  But that's not taking up any significant space.

The only thing you'd need to go to bn.com to do is if you want to permanently remove your record of ownership.  Then you won't be able to Unarchive that content again later, without repurchasing it.  This is the only way to remove it from your list of Archived Apps.

But Archiving really does delete Apps from the NC, as the OP asked for.  And with no connectivity of any sort required.

- Mark

New User
leeada
0 Kudos

I never understand the smart alecs who feel that they must show that they are in some way better than other users, by wasting everybody's time with smarmy answers.

If you can't help the man, keep stumm and allow some else to answer with some graciousness. If you need to be rude, join another blog especially for that purpose.

There are indeed a number of issues with NC and it's operating system that could and should be addressed.

The NC is a Tablet, and the more support that B and N give NC as a Tablet, the more successful they will be, and the more likely they will weather the storms of a truly ferocious and adverse market.

Deleting apps and books should be a trivial excercise without any tethering at all

Maintaining shelves after power downs should be automatic

Notation on Books that they are already on shelves would be darn helpful.

Allowing apps to flood in, so that we can use the nook as a replacement for a tablet, Ipad, and as a serious productivity tool, would make this both a cult product, and an unbelievably popular one.