Correspondent
Toller
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

How do I report a Nook Book that's badly overpriced?

Richard North Patterson writes popular fiction. He has a new book just released today that is listed as costing $26.95. This is double what his books usually cost at introduction and also double the cost at Amazon and iBooks.

To whom or how should we report this? I wrote to "customer Service" and got an answer of "Sorry. We can't talk about the price of books."

Thanks.

Eric Johnson

Contributor
mhodgin
0 Kudos

Re: How do I report a Nook Book that's badly overpriced?

Wow...sure seems like a pricing error to me...the eBook price is the same price as the hardback book.  I guess I can understand that normally tech support will not discuss prices because many people probably bug them and ask if the price can be lowered, etc.

I wish I knew who for you to report this to, but it will probably take a few days for someone to find the problem and fix it.

Correspondent
Toller
0 Kudos

The reality is that they won't notice if no one buys a copy. I have all of his books but won't buy this one at this price. Guess Amazon will get the hardback sales and we just won't buy it. Heck of a way to ruin er, run a railroad. Thanks.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

you can PM Alex on the forums here, he's the admin and may be able to pass the info along and get it resolved if it is indeed an error.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
MacMcK1957

It appears the book in question, with a list price of $26.95, is now selling as a Nook book for $14.01.

Loss of Innocence

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

There's a lot about B&N's customer service that I don't comprehend. I also tried to point out a possible error on their web site and they gave me a completely non-answer and bordered on rude. The book (don't recall what it was now) was listed as a pre-order and that it would be released in 2020. Really? You know that can't possibly be true, right? I got some ridiculous answer (as if 7 years made perfect sense to them) and then I responded back again at which time their next response was to tell me the book has been removed from the site - some kind of error.  Seriously. Is there NO quality control? Did it not occur to anyone at B&N that a release date 7 years down the road might actually be wrong?  I like my Nook a lot but gotta say I'm not overy impressed with B&N's web site or CS. Amazon has issues from time to time but never like B&N.  They tell me there is NO place on their web site I can see recent charges such as for magazine subscriptions. I found no place where I could see the billing date on them either.  These are all little things but they are starting to pile up and make me kind of wonder whether this move over to Nook was worth it. To bad too because the Nook is a good device that could be so much better.  Now, Amazon is stepping up their game but what is B&N doing? I made my decision to go to Nook and will not bale on them but I won't wait forever to see some forward planning/thinking.  Ok, I'm done now. :smileywink:

Correspondent
Toller
0 Kudos

Got the price change and went to order the book. Now they are saying my card has expired. The card doesn't expire until the end of the month after checking with the cc company. Sounds like it's amateur night at the bookstore. At least the price is fixed. I can "fix" the cc issue myself. Thanks to all. You'd think they'd have a way to report web site issues since that's a source of income. Eric
Mercury_Glitch

The release date could have been an error, sometimes publishers put out information and give dates way in the future to allow their authors to just write.  Honestly I've seen dates as far ahead as 2036, I think it was for a Patterson book.  The dates are supposed to be fixed when a release date is actually clear, sometimes they aren't. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

That does make sense but I still have to wonder why I don't ever see that happen on Amazon's site. I've never seen a release date more than a few months out.  Why even put it on the web site like that? I also got a song and dance about charging me for pre-orders. It clearly states on the web site that you will not be charged for a pre-order until it is ready to download. Yet, right after I ordered several pre-orders, the amount came out of my account and returned there maybe 2 or 3 days later. They had no good explanation for that.  Again, Amazon does NOT do this, nor do they bounce a $1 charge off you to make sure the card is good or whatever. It is assumed if you have a one-click card on file, that it will work when the time comes.  I will not be ordering any more pre-orders until the book is actually released from here on out.

These guys are taking all the fun out of owning a Nook  :smileysad:

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855
0 Kudos

Those bounce charges are because of the way BN's DRM schema works. It's far preferable to Amazon's system, IMO.
Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193

I don't know why you say that? I didn't get charged by Amazon until the book actually was released and i always knew ahead of time when that would be.  Besides, a $1 bounce is one thing but they bounced the whole darn charge. Might I also add that the web site does NOT say that? It clearly says you will be charged when the book is released NOT liike they do it. They took my money and kept it for 2 or 3 days (making money off of me no doubt) before returning it. I ended up canceling the books so it was all for nothing.  None of this would even be a big deal but they need to clearly staight how it works.  I simply wasn't expecting that given that Amazon doesn't do that (at least not so you can tell looking at your bank's web site)

Frequent Contributor
eaglewomanEP

I buy all my books from B&N, have never had any of these problems, when I pre-order a book, they have never charged me for a book until it arrives. Also have never had the $1 book bounce to my cc. I never order a pre order until at least in the last 30 days.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855
0 Kudos

ConnieL4193 wrote:

I don't know why you say that? I didn't get charged by Amazon until the book actually was released and i always knew ahead of time when that would be.  Besides, a $1 bounce is one thing but they bounced the whole darn charge. Might I also add that the web site does NOT say that? It clearly says you will be charged when the book is released NOT liike they do it. They took my money and kept it for 2 or 3 days (making money off of me no doubt) before returning it. I ended up canceling the books so it was all for nothing.  None of this would even be a big deal but they need to clearly staight how it works.  I simply wasn't expecting that given that Amazon doesn't do that (at least not so you can tell looking at your bank's web site)

It depends on your bank. My bank account personally never shows BN's bounces, even for preorders. *shrug*

Anyway, I'll still take CC bounces over Amazon's draconian DRM that won't even let you legally back-up your own files.

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

ConnieL4193 wrote:

That does make sense but I still have to wonder why I don't ever see that happen on Amazon's site. I've never seen a release date more than a few months out. 

That most definitely happens at Amazon. People ask on the forums why so-and-so book is not being released until 2025.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Toller wrote:

Richard North Patterson writes popular fiction. He has a new book just released today that is listed as costing $26.95. This is double what his books usually cost at introduction and also double the cost at Amazon and iBooks.

To whom or how should we report this? I wrote to "customer Service" and got an answer of "Sorry. We can't talk about the price of books."

Thanks.

Eric Johnson

Since the original question was never answered...

I'd report this to the publisher, not B&N. The pub doesn't set the price, but the price that is set directly affects them, so if there's an error then they'd likely want to work with B&N to get it corrected.

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

Then I guess it was just dumb luck that I never ran into one like that. Every time I had a pre-order, it was only a few months out at most
Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

Ah it's all just a racket I think. Potato/Patah-to.  Choose your poison and all that.  I guess the bottom line is that each of these services can be annoying at times just dpending on what exactly annoys you :smileyhappy:   Some of it is controlled by the publishers (a lot actually) and some by the service.  Either way, I'll live and it gives us all something to talk about.

Correspondent
Toller
0 Kudos

Well, since I started this, here's an update and closer. Tech support had me delete the CC that was a problem and then re-enter it. It works fine now. I have no idea on what made this work but work it does ... for a month until the new card gets here. Thanks to all.