Contributor
sadelikta38

How to get movies on NOOK color?

Can anyone explain how I can get movies onto my nook?

BN_Cece

Re: How to get movies on NOOK color?

Hi sadelikta38, Using the custom microUSB cable provided with your NOOK Color, connect your NOOK Color to your computer.

NOTE: Use only the microUSB cable provided with your NOOK Color. Using any other cable might damage your NOOK Color.

When you connect your NOOK Color to your personal computer, your NOOK Color will appear as a new removable drive on your personal computer. Drag the files you want to transfer onto this drive.

To organize the files, open the NOOK Color drive. You'll see several folders on your NOOK Color. Move your personal files in the My Files folder. Within the folder, you can sort files into these folders:
- Books
- Documents
- Magazines
- Music
- Newspapers
- Pictures
- Videos
- Wallpapers

You should place Microsoft Office files, .txt files, and PDFs in the Documents folders.
You should place your music, such as MP3 files, in the Music folder.
You should place your pictures, such as .jpg and .png files, in the Photos folder.
When you have finished arranging files, eject the NOOK Color drive from your personal computer. Disconnect the NOOK Color microUSB cable.

Your NOOK Color supports the following video file formats: 3gp, 3g2, mp4, m4v; MPEG-4 Simple Profile up to 854x480; H.263 up to 352x288; H.264 Baseline profile up to 854x480

Your NOOK Color will not support the following video file formats: Flash (Flv/swf); Mov/qt; AVI; MKV; Xvid/divx; WMV / VC-1; H.264 Main and High profile; and videos with a resolution higher than 854x4

Contributor
Gimel_Vav

From the FAQs:

Your NOOK Color supports the following video file formats: 3gp, 3g2, mp4, m4v; MPEG-4 Simple Profile up to 854x480; H.263 up to 352x288; H.264 Baseline profile up to 854x480 

Your NOOK Color will not support the following video file formats: Flash (Flv/swf); Mov/qt; AVI; MKV; Xvid/divx; WMV / VC-1; H.264 Main and High profile; and videos with a resolution higher than 854x480

It looks like our best options are: MPEG-4 Simple Profile up to 854x480, and .264 Baseline profile up to 854x480.

There are many converters available that will allow you to "rip" a video file from a DVD.  Freemake ( http://www.freemake.com/ ) is completely free and will not nag you.  Once, you've created the file, now you just "sideload" it onto your NOOKcolor.

I'll come up with some more detailed instructions and post them here. 

Distinguished Correspondent
peppyauntie121

sadelikta38 wrote:

Can anyone explain how I can get movies onto my nook?

If you have dvds from your personal collection or from the library, you can transfer them onto your NC.  Go to www.tools4movies  .  For $10, well worth the price, you can download Catalylst 4+ software onto your computer.  Then put the dvd  you want into your computer and follow the catalyst instructions

Thanks to Phoneboy on this forum, I did this a couple of weeks ago, and it worked out beautifully... I have a bunch of tv shows on my NC from my dvds..  Have fun...

Inspired Contributor
Serolf_Divad
0 Kudos

Also, understand that users are reporting that the latest Nook Color update messed up video playback somewhat (slight skipping). Hopefully there will be a further update to bring video playback back to where it was before the 1.2 update.

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 41
0 Kudos

New User
reenpea

I use a "Handbrake" which is available as a free download at http://handbrake.fr/.  This person was nice enought to outline how to do in this thread - http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/5531-how-using-handbrake-convert-video-nook....  Works great!

Reader
Baker1982
0 Kudos

Does this product bypass the electronic copy protection that is on most, if not all, modern DVD's?  I have tried many of the freeware products out there that promise to rip the movies off DVD's as well, but they error out on my machine when it's a copy protected DVD....

Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Baker1982 wrote:

Does this product bypass the electronic copy protection that is on most, if not all, modern DVD's?  I have tried many of the freeware products out there that promise to rip the movies off DVD's as well, but they error out on my machine when it's a copy protected DVD....

DVD Shrink 3.2.0.15 

http://www.filehippo.com/download_dvdshrink/

I create .iso files, then use HandBrake to convert them to .mp4.  Slicker then ... :smileywink:

Contributor
isolderin
0 Kudos

Wow, I am thrilled with all this info, thank you to the community for posting it.  I am going to cut and paste into a manual and hope to figure out down the road how to do this.

And to the nasty person, another wow.  That was just so rude and uncalled for.:smileysurprised:

I myself am sadly not savvy with technology.  Some on the boards are techno wizzes.  I imagine it is frustrating for those advanced peeps to read what people like me may write.

I am learning and send out a thank you to others expertise and patience!  :smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Contributor
scosgt
0 Kudos

If you do the dual boot with Phiremod (or just install Phiremod) the NC DOES support .avi

You can use various file manager products to transfer .avi movies direct to your NC over wifi from your computer.

OR

OR 

OR

Just use uplugnplay from the market and you can play your .avis from your computer on your NC without any downloading, you can just stream them! VPlayer, Vital Player, RockPlayer all play .avi perfectly either direct or streaming.

Frequent Contributor
TerryV6

Don't be offended by rude posters.... 

I myself use Dvdcatalyst.  It is converter for dummies.  You just drag your video files to it or insert your dvd in a drive.  It then looks at it, converts it and helps you put it on your NC.  I have used Handbrake, and while a nice program, it isn't quite as easy to use.  The former is well worth the 10 bucks...

Terry

Reader
Baker1982

I have tried Handbrake, DVDCatalyst, etc.  and no product seems to be able to bust through the copy protected DVD's.  I am working with Windows Vista and all the programs quit unexpectedly when a copy protected DVD is inserted and tried to rip.  Any other suggestions?

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Baker1982 wrote:

I have tried Handbrake, DVDCatalyst, etc.  and no product seems to be able to bust through the copy protected DVD's.  I am working with Windows Vista and all the programs quit unexpectedly when a copy protected DVD is inserted and tried to rip.  Any other suggestions?

Which DVD are you experiencing complications with?

Handbrake needs something else in order to convert from DVD directly, but most DVDs work out of the box with DVD Catalyst.

Have you checked the "Problem DVD" section on my website to see if your DVD is listed there?

http://www.tools4movies.com/category/problem-dvd/

Distinguished Correspondent
gaming_grandma

My vote is for DVD Catalyst. I have used it on my basic NC, then my auto-nootered NC and now on my gingerbread Enhanced NC. It is easy to use and the support is enviable. The only movies I couldn't adapt were some of the newer Harry Potter films. Another suggestion, if you can, also purchase the movie viewer (I can't remember the name) that comes from the same company. You will think that you've bought an Ipad when watching your movies.
Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

gaming_grandma wrote:
My vote is for DVD Catalyst. I have used it on my basic NC, then my auto-nootered NC and now on my gingerbread Enhanced NC. It is easy to use and the support is enviable. The only movies I couldn't adapt were some of the newer Harry Potter films. Another suggestion, if you can, also purchase the movie viewer (I can't remember the name) that comes from the same company. You will think that you've bought an Ipad when watching your movies.

The newer Harry Potter ones should work fine in the latest versions. Last week, I picked up the big box, and ran them all through that using 4.0.2.7.

The other app, MovieGallery, is currently only available on gingerbread-nooks (android market) but since it is Tuesday, B&N is testing apps again, so hopefully today it will be available for non-rooted nooks as well.

New User
piegirl314
0 Kudos

How do you find out what format the movie/video is?

New User
centex
0 Kudos

Re: How to get movies on NOOK tablet

I converted a movie to MP4 format using a converter software, however when I try to drag it/ move it to the nook tablet, I get a message saying there is not enough space.  However, I have added a 32gb sd card to the nook so there should be plenty of space.

Any ideas what to do?

Inspired Contributor
BeachCatFan
0 Kudos

Re: How to get movies on NOOK tablet

centex wrote:

I converted a movie to MP4 format using a converter software, however when I try to drag it/ move it to the nook tablet, I get a message saying there is not enough space.  However, I have added a 32gb sd card to the nook so there should be plenty of space.

Any ideas what to do?

Were you trying to drag it to the NOOK or to the SD card itself? Make sure it's the SD card. When I did it, I got the "not enough space" message, too, until I moved it to my 32gb n2a card.

Inspired Correspondent
j-andersonjma
0 Kudos

You can determine the file type by looking at the "extension" letters after the file name.  MovieName.Mp4