New User
Jonathan75
0 Kudos

How to root a new Nook Simple Touch running 1.2.1?

Hi all,

I was given a (lovely) Nook Simple Touch for this Christmas just gone, however, sadly all the rooting instructions on the interwebs seem to be for pre-1.2.0, let alone 1.2.1.

Is anyone aware of any program which will for sure root 1.2.1?

Preferably such as enables the installing of a really good web browser/the Android app store?

Is it possible to somehow make a new Nook Simple Touch run 1.1.x or earlier such as enables it to be rooted to the max?

Many thanks, Jonathan

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch

Re: How to root a new Nook Simple Touch running 1.2.1?

NookManager

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2040351

You'll need to write it to a micro sd card, but it does all of what you ask. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

[ Edited ]

Jonathan75 wrote:

[...] Preferably such as enables the installing of a really good web browser/the Android app store?

Keep reasonable expectations for browsing. The NST runs Android 2.1 eclair, which is rather old. Don't expect Firefox or Chrome. Opera Mobile works, but it's not a fantastic browsing experience. More "usable in a pinch."

You'll need to use Search Market to search for anything in the Google market.

I've been putting off updating to 1.2.1 simply because I don't use the B&N reader. Looks like NOOK Touch ModManager will let me redefine the side buttons, so my last excuse for not updating is gone. Now a NSTG looks more attractive.

New User
Jonathan75
0 Kudos

That worked very well - thanks.

However - after a couple of months, I did something funny, and the machine got into some wierd startup loop where it just wouldn't work.

So - for the information of anyone else looking at this page in future - I had to do a factory reset using these instructions, which seems to be working:

"-Turn off your Nook Simple Touch completely.
-Turn it on again by holding down power, and then, as soon as the screen flashes, begin holding down the bottom page turn keys on the left and right of the device until the screen flashes with a message asking if you want to do a factory reset.
- Click the home key twice, and you should be on your way."

New User
Fopetesl
0 Kudos

Factory reset doesn't work for me.

I installed, yesterday, latest OS which I assume is 1.2.1 because my brand new Simple Touch can't connect to Internet more that a few seconds.

Therefore I cannot register and get locked into a loop entering my detail, connect to internet, enter my detail ....

Getting desperate since support is extremely poor or non existent,,, chat not available, etc..

Will rooting get around this blockage?