Reply
Contributor
mferring
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎10-09-2010
0 Kudos

I actually prefer my NST to the Glow.....

I of course am completely aware that everyone is different and this is not saying that any reader is "better" than any other. But for me, (and perhaps it is because I now have 55 yr old eyes that aren't as sharp as they once were!), I could see a significant loss of sharpness in the new Glow. Also, to me the loss of contrast (lighter color text than the NST) was also significant in comparison to the original NST. My guess it is the compromise you must live with for the extra layer required to smoothly spread the glow lighting across the surface.

 

I know for some it will be a very minor thing and not enough to be a big deal. However for me, this loss of sharpness and contrast would be enough to never want the Glow in its current incarnation. Perhaps it will get better with future iterations.

 

Because of this, I hope they do not kill a "non-glow" version until and if they can make the sharpness and contrast better with future versions.

 

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
Posts: 3,851
Registered: ‎01-01-2012

Re: I actually prefer my NST to the Glow.....

[ Edited ]

I had a chance to do a side-by side comparison last night. I honestly wasn't able to discern any difference between the two displays with the glowlight off using my age 50 eyes:

 

2012-04-27_18-50-24_444

 

2012-04-27_18-49-31_386

 

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a perfectly clear pic of both in frame at once, but the Glow is on the right. Were it not for the lighter frame, I would not have been able to pick out which was which viewing them separately.

 

I also found the characters on the glow very clear an crisp, and didn't notice any fuzziness:

 

2012-04-27_18-54-36_304

 

With the glow light at max, there is a loss of contrast in an otherwise lit room:

 

2012-04-27_18-55-38_919

 

Ideally, of course, you'd want to view both side-by-side before making a decsion, but I hope these pics are useful to anybody that won't be able to do so.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
Posts: 1,079
Registered: ‎05-21-2011
0 Kudos

Re: I actually prefer my NST to the Glow.....


bobstro wrote:

Ideally, of course, you'd want to view both side-by-side before making a decsion, but I hope these pics are useful to anybody that won't be able to do so.


These were helpful, thanks! 

 

Can't wait for you to root and give us more info! :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
Coaxial_Creature
Posts: 32
Registered: ‎08-02-2010

Re: I actually prefer my NST to the Glow.....

I


mferring wrote:

I of course am completely aware that everyone is different and this is not saying that any reader is "better" than any other. But for me, (and perhaps it is because I now have 55 yr old eyes that aren't as sharp as they once were!), I could see a significant loss of sharpness in the new Glow. Also, to me the loss of contrast (lighter color text than the NST) was also significant in comparison to the original NST. My guess it is the compromise you must live with for the extra layer required to smoothly spread the glow lighting across the surface.

 

I know for some it will be a very minor thing and not enough to be a big deal. However for me, this loss of sharpness and contrast would be enough to never want the Glow in its current incarnation. Perhaps it will get better with future iterations.

 

Because of this, I hope they do not kill a "non-glow" version until and if they can make the sharpness and contrast better with future versions.

 

 


I doubt they'll kill the non-glow version.   The price point is going to be too tempting.

 

I did notice that my head started to ache the couple of times I looked at the glow with the lights on the edges on, possibly because I believe my eyes were attracted to the light on the peripheral of my vision.  I've spoken to the digital sales lead in my store, though, and he's going to get me out of the Nook, um, nook and test one out.   The LEDs shouldn't bug me, but it's hard to tell in the middle of all the LCDs in that section.   For anyone who's bothered by flashing lights, that whole bit in the middle of the store is... not good.

 

Basically, I'll see later.   Eventually.    But if I were going to go for a Nook, I'd go the safe route and go with the NST without glowlight.  

 

I've read a couple people say that in store they thought the light was quite bright, but when I tried to express that, I was told it wasn't so.   Since there are lights beaming down on the Nook anyway, it's kind of hard to tell.

Bones: Once, just once I'd like to be able to land someplace and say: "Behold, I am the archangel Gabriel."
Spock: I fail to see the humor in that situation, Doctor.
Bones.: Naturally, you could hardly claim to be an angel with those pointed ears, Mr. Spock. But say you landed someplace with a pitchfork...
~Bread and Circuses
Inspired Correspondent
SuperC142
Posts: 76
Registered: ‎11-02-2009
0 Kudos

Re: I actually prefer my NST to the Glow.....

At its lowest setting, the light is almost imperceptible.  On its highest setting, in a dark room where my eyes are adjusted, it would melt my eyes out of their sockets.  Basically, whatever you want in terms of brightness, it can provide.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
Posts: 652
Registered: ‎03-08-2011
0 Kudos

Re: I actually prefer my NST to the Glow.....

We went to B&N on Sunday to buy my husband the GL for his birthday.  He had an original Nook, which he likes, but he wanted the light.  I brought my NST along with me.  I found the difference--even eith the light off--between the darkness and crispness of the text to be significant.  The text on the GL seemed to be dark grey rather than black, and a tad bit softer.  As someone else has mentioned, if one didn't compare, it might not be an issue. 

 

As it turned out, the Nook Color was on sale for only $10 more than the GL, so that's what he bought. 

Inspired Correspondent
spider731
Posts: 82
Registered: ‎01-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: I actually prefer my NST to the Glow.....


BFCoughlin wrote:

We went to B&N on Sunday to buy my husband the GL for his birthday.  He had an original Nook, which he likes, but he wanted the light.  I brought my NST along with me.  I found the difference--even eith the light off--between the darkness and crispness of the text to be significant.  The text on the GL seemed to be dark grey rather than black, and a tad bit softer.  As someone else has mentioned, if one didn't compare, it might not be an issue. 

 

As it turned out, the Nook Color was on sale for only $10 more than the GL, so that's what he bought. 


 

 

I also noticed a big difference in the contrast between the NST and the GL (of course I'm also pretty damned anal about stuff like this). The GL had a slightly darker background and a slightly lighter foreground. I wonder if this is because of the anti-glare film?? I purchased a Stella Light for mine and my wife's NST, which we love. It doesn't give off the blueish tint of a lot of the other lights (including the GL) and give the screen a much more "normal" appearance. Needless to say I LOVE the technological innovation of the GL, and I applaud the B&N engineers, but for the time being I'll stick with the NST. SOOOOO .... When is a color e-ink Nook coming out????? :-D

Contributor
drew0020
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎04-27-2012
0 Kudos

Re: I actually prefer my NST to the Glow.....

I also noticed a significant contrast loss with the Glowtouch.  I ended up returning the unit and went back to my old Simple Touch.  I did like the implementation of the light though.  Any chance B&N can fix the contrast in a firmware update?

Wordsmith
LectorGS
Posts: 453
Registered: ‎04-19-2011
0 Kudos

Re: I actually prefer my NST to the Glow.....

[ Edited ]

I do prefer the resolution of the original NST to that of the Glow.  It looks brighter,  sharper, crispier and darker.  It's easier to read and the background's hue fights glare more effectively when it's exposed against light.  The advantage of the Glow becomes "visible", no pund intended, when the glowlight is on.  This is the moment when the words acquire the "life" that is so characteristic of the NST.  I am not an expert in software matters, however, I believe that this is something that may be fixed in future software updates.

 

Both devices are great, however, I tend to prefer my original NST.

 

 

Lector GS
Contributor
AlexJouJou
Posts: 18
Registered: ‎05-07-2012
0 Kudos

Re: I actually prefer my NST to the Glow.....

While I don't have a NST regular (just the Glow) I put my Kindle Keyboard next to the NST with Glow Light and the contrast is like night and day (no pun intended). I too find the NSTG to have a darker background with much lighter gray letters - not as sharp and crisp as my other e reader. With the glow light off it looks fairly comparable to the Kindle (background is still a bit darker and letters lighter but not too much). 

 

I do find I cannot read for hours on the NSTG which was my original plan. After about an hour and a half my eyes are tired and red. Since some nights I am only reading an hour this is fine...what I did is order a case from Medge with the eluminator light so I can have a light for times I have my NSTG and want to change off the glow light for a regular type light source. 

 

I'm happy that the NSTG does not cause the headaches that LCD screens can cause me...and so, much as I wish the contrast was very much better, I can deal with the way it is now. Especially since I can use it as a regular e reader without the glow light as well. There are some things I am really enjoying on the NSTG like the ability to do a bit of customization (fonts, what the page buttons do, etc) and the fairly easy to use interface with my book covers. I REALLY enjoy that over the K3 I have now. Seeing the cover jogs my memory. And it shows the cover of all my sideloaded books as well. 

 

I'm still figuring out how to get books on the SD card through calibre (though I think I have figured that out) and it works pretty well. I did have one book error out which was a drag but I put 50 on. I'm pretty happy with the memory as well now I've got it. It's not as low as I thought.

 

Overall though I might advise folks about the potential contrast issue -- if they were concerned about it. I don't think very casual readers will notice or have issues. I'd only truly bring it up to friends who read significantly since I think that is most likely who it would be affecting more greatly. 

Frequent Contributor
Larryb52
Posts: 184
Registered: ‎04-20-2009
0 Kudos

Re: I actually prefer my NST to the Glow.....

I initially thought the same way but I have grown in a very short time to like it & I have had all kinds of readers. Its a matter of preference , initially I was discouraged by it but by the end of the evening I was pleased with the device. Yes it is slighty different in contrast but not enough to make it unreadable IMHO...

flyingtoastr
Posts: 3,035
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975
Registered: ‎11-11-2009
0 Kudos

Re: I actually prefer my NST to the Glow.....

Meh. There is indeed a bit of loss-of-contrast, but it really isn't that bad. It's like reading on an old Vizplex instead of a Pearl. Still perfectly doable, and the flexability of the glowlight model more than makes up for it.

Distinguished Correspondent
akaCat
Posts: 170
Registered: ‎03-06-2011
0 Kudos

Re: I actually prefer my NST to the Glow.....


AlexJouJou wrote:

 

I'm still figuring out how to get books on the SD card through calibre (though I think I have figured that out) and it works pretty well. I did have one book error out which was a drag but I put 50 on. I'm pretty happy with the memory as well now I've got it. It's not as low as I thought.



Try opening the errored book a second time -- I have a few sideloaded books that always error on the first attempt, and always open perfectly well on the second try.

DeanGibson
Posts: 2,196
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,253
Solutions: 18
Registered: ‎04-12-2011
0 Kudos

Re: I actually prefer my NST to the Glow.....


AlexJouJou wrote:

...

 

I do find I cannot read for hours on the NSTG which was my original plan. After about an hour and a half my eyes are tired and red. Since some nights I am only reading an hour this is fine...

 

How high did you have the light intensity setting?

LG G3 phone & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted
2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,702
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: I actually prefer my NST to the Glow.....


AlexJouJou wrote:

While I don't have a NST regular (just the Glow) I put my Kindle Keyboard next to the NST with Glow Light and the contrast is like night and day (no pun intended). I too find the NSTG to have a darker background with much lighter gray letters - not as sharp and crisp as my other e reader. With the glow light off it looks fairly comparable to the Kindle (background is still a bit darker and letters lighter but not too much). 

 

I do find I cannot read for hours on the NSTG which was my original plan. After about an hour and a half my eyes are tired and red. Since some nights I am only reading an hour this is fine...what I did is order a case from Medge with the eluminator light so I can have a light for times I have my NSTG and want to change off the glow light for a regular type light source. 

 

I'm happy that the NSTG does not cause the headaches that LCD screens can cause me...and so, much as I wish the contrast was very much better, I can deal with the way it is now. Especially since I can use it as a regular e reader without the glow light as well. There are some things I am really enjoying on the NSTG like the ability to do a bit of customization (fonts, what the page buttons do, etc) and the fairly easy to use interface with my book covers. I REALLY enjoy that over the K3 I have now. Seeing the cover jogs my memory. And it shows the cover of all my sideloaded books as well. 

 

I'm still figuring out how to get books on the SD card through calibre (though I think I have figured that out) and it works pretty well. I did have one book error out which was a drag but I put 50 on. I'm pretty happy with the memory as well now I've got it. It's not as low as I thought.

 

Overall though I might advise folks about the potential contrast issue -- if they were concerned about it. I don't think very casual readers will notice or have issues. I'd only truly bring it up to friends who read significantly since I think that is most likely who it would be affecting more greatly. 


If you are not enjoying the glowlight aspect of the NST Glow, but you really like the reader with the glowlight off, it might not be a bad idea to exchange it for the regular Simple Touch.  You'll save a good chunk of change, gain a little bit of contrast, and still have all the benefits you're seeing for fonts, page buttons, etc.  :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
Posts: 3,628
Registered: ‎03-31-2011
0 Kudos

Re: I actually prefer my NST to the Glow.....

Look, Keri's still trying to resist:

 

"If you are not enjoying the glowlight aspect of the NST Glow, but you really like the reader with the glowlight off, it might not be a bad idea to exchange it for the regular Simple Touch. You'll save a good chunk of change, gain a little bit of contrast, and still have all the benefits you're seeing for fonts, page buttons, etc."

 

All true.  But the glowworm has a light.  

 

I think it's only a matter of time before Keri tries one out - "just for a look" :smileyhappy:

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,702
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: I actually prefer my NST to the Glow.....

[ Edited ]

roustabout wrote:

Look, Keri's still trying to resist:

 

"If you are not enjoying the glowlight aspect of the NST Glow, but you really like the reader with the glowlight off, it might not be a bad idea to exchange it for the regular Simple Touch. You'll save a good chunk of change, gain a little bit of contrast, and still have all the benefits you're seeing for fonts, page buttons, etc."

 

All true.  But the glowworm has a light.  

 

I think it's only a matter of time before Keri tries one out - "just for a look" :smileyhappy:


I have tried one out, LOL.  The poster that I was responding to did not seem to like the light, and went so far as to by an external light just to not have to use the glow light.  So why spend $139 when you can spend $79, if you don't care for the light?

 

I'm not resisting anything.  Some folks will like the light.  Some will not.  Some will (like me) not have a need for the light.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,702
Registered: ‎01-05-2010

Re: I actually prefer my NST to the Glow.....

And  besides, as I stated before - No god rays, no angel chorus, no sale. :smileywink:

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
Posts: 3,334
Registered: ‎09-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: I actually prefer my NST to the Glow.....


keriflur wrote:

 

I'm not resisting anything.  Some folks will like the light.  Some will not.  Some will (like me) not have a need for the light.


I have (nearly) no need for the light.

 

I'm still trying to justify the purchase; I might even buy it for Mr. Ya_Ya and then claim it, giving him my very well-loved non-glowworm-N2E.   :smileylol:

DeanGibson
Posts: 2,196
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,253
Solutions: 18
Registered: ‎04-12-2011
0 Kudos

Shot over-the-bow to Amazon?

[ Edited ]

keriflur wrote:
.. why spend $139 when you can spend $79, if you don't care for the light?


Too late.  I thought there was a good chance that B&N would keep the Mother's Day prices around after Sunday, but they didn't.  Perhaps that was a "shot over-the-bow" to Amazon, that B&N can do a price war as well ...

 

Remember, the $99 version doesn't include a charger.  As the B&N salesperson told me, that only leaves a $30 difference for an $18 anti-glare screen protector, but somehow I don't think that's going to convince keriflur...

 

Tomorrow at my local B&N (Lynnwood) is their twice-monthly Nook "seminar".  I'm planning on showing up and seeing what the reactions of some of the attendees are to the contrast issue.  Might be interesting ...

LG G3 phone & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted
2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.