Contributor
kriter20088
0 Kudos

Re: I can't watch youtube videos on Nook Color. Any Suggestions?

Try opening your browser, go into settings and turn pop ups off for your browser. To play videos for now until the flash update is pushed out you will need to go to m.youtbe or m.ksl.com.
Katrina Riter
Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

kriter20088 wrote:
Try opening your browser, go into settings and turn pop ups off for your browser. To play videos for now until the flash update is pushed out you will need to go to m.youtbe or m.ksl.com.

Tried all that. Doesn't work on mine. Still won't play. I'll wait for the flash update I guess.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Also try rebooting (hold pwr button down 5 sec.).  The video player appears to be a separate app; it could be hung.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
New User
Damitri
0 Kudos

I realize you want to make sure your Nook is not faulty. Is there anyway you can reset it to factory settings? Start over sort of? My wife's Nook (e-ink version) was giving her problems and we reinstalled or upgraded the firmware and it helped.

If it is any comfort you are not missing anything! I went to our B&N store today thinking I might pick up the Nook Color for our daughter. She loves watching kids stuff on youtube on my iPad but it is a little big for her hands (and I want it back!!). I was honestly surprised when I tried youtube on the store demo Nooks. Mobile Youtube gives you an ugly site obviously optimized for a much smaller phone screen. None of the tablet grid layout goodness you get with an iPad and much less intuitive for kids. The video quality is absolutely horrid - seriously the worst I have ever seen. You can hardly tell different clips apart as all you get is pixel artifacts dancing all over the screen. Totally useless even though I made sure the 'HQ' selection was on. This is not a problem with HTML. Android and iPhone phones both have excellent youtube quality in HTML. And the Nook must have the horsepower to display good quality video but for some reason it defaults to using the worst possible quality. 

The rest of the Nook Color experience is pretty good for the price I think but I hope for your sake B&N will eventually update it with Android 3.0. 

New User
redsirenn
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem with mine.  I tried all the above recommendations, and nothing worked. 

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Some (not all) of the videos on m.youtube have an HD option.  YMMV, but some are surprisingly viewable in that mode.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Contributor
meshort1s
0 Kudos

I posted about this else where but realized this may be more appropriate an area. Im getting audio sometimes but no video on the mobile sites.

I have tried everything except the user agent /browser mode option as i do not see that option anywhere at all in my options list.  Is that a feature of 1.01 or should it be there in 1.0?

Also I havent tried de registering and re registering ....im lazy not to wanna re download everything but I am going to try that soon, and also having to re do my shelves :smileysad:  ........

Contributor
meshort1s
0 Kudos

just want to add....im an idiot....i just checked what the update has and indeed it includes the aforementioned feature that im missing.....   :smileyindifferent:  

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

OK this is sort of interesting...

I reported (above) that I cannot view mobile Youtube site videos regardless of settings on my NookColor.

Then perchance I tried it whilst connected wirelessly at a different location (not in my home) and it worked. It worked under various settings. Brought it back home, doesn't work, with any settings.

Hmm.... there's something about my wireless router configuration that is preventing the mobile Youtube videos from playing. I have no filtering turned on, and everything else (shopping, web browsing) all work at home, just not m.youtube.com or other similar internet videos.

Still investigating to try and figure out why...

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Yeah, there have been instances of this (works everywhere but home), but I don't think anything definitive has been decided yet. 

What brand/model router do you have?

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

riffrafff wrote:

Yeah, there have been instances of this (works everywhere but home), but I don't think anything definitive has been decided yet. 

I saw those reports, but my case is so specific to videos. Everything else regarding internet and wifi work fine.

I have a D-Link WBR-2310. Just for kicks I set my NookColor as a DMZ host, and then it worked. But that basically just bypasses the router function making it visible on the 'net directly. I'm not really wanting to keep that setup. Yikes.

Maybe if I can figure out this issue, it would help the other reported cases, too. Who knows...

Inspired Contributor
Atomant
0 Kudos

I have a Linksys Router and the m.youtube videos work ok. I thought I was having problems with certain videos hanging the player. Several times I had to turn off the NC in order to get it to play again. But......that was last week.  

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

mbratch wrote:

riffrafff wrote:

I saw those reports, but my case is so specific to videos. Everything else regarding internet and wifi work fine.

I have a D-Link WBR-2310. Just for kicks I set my NookColor as a DMZ host, and then it worked. But that basically just bypasses the router function making it visible on the 'net directly. I'm not really wanting to keep that setup. Yikes.

Maybe if I can figure out this issue, it would help the other reported cases, too. Who knows...

Newest firmware?  D-Link's a decent router, for the most part.  Sure, I had two go flakey and now use a Cisco/Linksys WRT54GL, but still.  :smileywink:   Anyway,  D-link's not some off-brand that I'd expect to have issues with.  Curiouser and curiouser. 

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

riffrafff wrote:

Newest firmware?  D-Link's a decent router, for the most part.  Sure, I had two go flakey and now use a Cisco/Linksys WRT54GL, but still.  :smileywink:   Anyway,  D-link's not some off-brand that I'd expect to have issues with.  Curiouser and curiouser. 

Yeah, I have the latest router firmer, and 1.0.1 firmware in the NookColor. The D-Link has been "veddy veddy good to me" outside of this particular issue (although it does sometimes do unexpected blocks if I switch on filtering by website - I've turned that off). On rare occasion I need to power cycle it... rarely. I had a Netgrear (forget which model) and it was not nearly as well behaved.

I'll stare at some of the config settings further and see if I come up with any ideas. If I knew more about what kind of packet/port transactions occurred when accessing a mobile Youtube video, I could more easily diagnose it. If I try to access a mobile youtube video from, say, my laptop, clicking simply does nothing. So there's something special going on there.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I can access the m.youtube.com page from a desktop computer, but when I click on a video I get this:

"Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (rtsp) isn't associated with any program."

Besides that, I doubt Firefox understands streaming 3gp protocol.  At least, not without a plug-in.

edited for typo

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

Well, more data but I don't have much more understanding...

If I go into my router and set up UDP port forwarding to my NookColor for ports 6970 through 16000, then I can see mobile YouTube videos. I've tried narrowing this range of ports down and discovered that sometimes I was able to go as low as 6970 through 9925 but this didn't always work. So it acts as if it selects from a range of ports to send video. I tried a google search on UDP ports and mobile YouTube but haven't found much useful information (other than the magic 6970 number).

What I'm not understanding is why I'd need to turn on port forwarding anyway. I don't filter out these ports otherwise.

Contributor
Tim79
0 Kudos

Nook Color can only play these video formats: 3GP, 3G2, MP4, M4V, and OGG. And supports MPEG-4 Simple Profile up to 854×480, H.263 up to 352×288, and H.264 Baseline profile up to 854×480. So if u want to enjoy video on Nook Color, u should convert video to Nook Color compatible formats.

I suggest u try Foxreal YouTube FLV Downloader Pro, which can not only download video from YouTube, but also convert downloaded video to Nook Color with the optimized format (MP4, 848×480, H.264 codec, 1500kbps avg bitrate, AAC 48KHz 160Kbps).

U can try it, good luck!

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Or simply do it for free

1. download firefox web browser :

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

2. start firefox, and download the "video download helper" plugin :

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/video-downloadhelper/

3. visit the youtube website, and when you find a video you like, use video download helper to download the MP4 file version to your computer.

4. transfer MP4 file to your NOOK and play it.

Reader 4
JPS61
0 Kudos

I'm having this same problem. No youtube mobil site vidoes play (and some other video sites). All other web browsing is great.

It seems to be a router issue from what is discussed here. Has anyone come up with some settings that may be easy to adjust for someone who does not like to change settings. 

Contributor
PandaNook
0 Kudos

Damitri wrote:
I went to our B&N store today thinking I might pick up the Nook Color for our daughter. She loves watching kids stuff on youtube on my iPad but it is a little big for her hands (and I want it back!!).
I was honestly surprised when I tried youtube on the store demo Nooks. Mobile Youtube gives you an ugly site obviously optimized for a much smaller phone screen. None of the tablet grid layout goodness you get with an iPad and much less intuitive for kids. The video quality is absolutely horrid - seriously the worst I have ever seen. You can hardly tell different clips apart as all you get is pixel artifacts dancing all over the screen. 

I had the same experience.  I would buy a Nook Color for my son, but not if the video is as horrible as the YouTube Mobile appears to be. 

Really, B&N does themselves no favors showing their video capabilities so poorly.

Right now, I'm holding off until I get a better look at how the Nook Color does video.

If it will do full-resolution, full-screen video, I'll definitely get one.