Reply
New User
crussell
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎12-25-2010
0 Kudos

I can't watch youtube videos on Nook Color. Any Suggestions?

[ Edited ]

I have tried using mobile version of youtube and it just says video cannot be played. I have seen that other people have said they are able to watch videos so Im not sure if I'm just not doing something correctly. I would appreciate any help.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
Posts: 2,466
Registered: ‎03-01-2010
0 Kudos

Re: I can't watch youtube videos on Nook Color. Any Suggestions?

NOOKcolor supports the mobile YouTube site (http://m.youtube.com), which runs on HTML.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
Posts: 1,872
Registered: ‎11-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: I can't watch youtube videos on Nook Color. Any Suggestions?

I've tried the m.youtube and it still does not work.

New User
crussell
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎12-25-2010
0 Kudos

Re: I can't watch youtube videos on Nook Color. Any Suggestions?

I have also tried and it will not work on mobile youtube. Did I miss something while I was setting up my Nook, or is there something wrong with mine?

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
Posts: 812
Registered: ‎12-25-2009

Re: I can't watch youtube videos on Nook Color. Any Suggestions?

I've got an idea - go over to your laptop, log into youtube, and watch all the videos you want.  Then when you're done, pick up your Nook and read a book.


Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
New User
crussell
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎12-25-2010

Re: I can't watch youtube videos on Nook Color. Any Suggestions?

Thats not really the point, if it is possible like people are saying then I want to make sure my product is working correctly. The reason I bought the Nook rather than just any other ereader was for the web features so I want to make sure I dont have a defective product.

Inspired Contributor
BanjoBen
Posts: 92
Registered: ‎12-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: I can't watch youtube videos on Nook Color. Any Suggestions?

@sub_rosa: don't be a jerk. As for the problem with mobile youtube, it should work. My only suggestion is to make sure you're on the actual mobile site. Also, just wait a while and try again. It should definitely work.
Contributor
readerRH
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎12-13-2010
0 Kudos

Re: I can't watch youtube videos on Nook Color. Any Suggestions?

I can get utube but the picture quality stinks. Any suggestions in that?
Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
Posts: 1,004
Registered: ‎11-18-2010
0 Kudos

Re: I can't watch youtube videos on Nook Color. Any Suggestions?

I'm not sure the answer to the original posted posted question, as the mobile youtube site uses html instead of flash.  However keep in mind that supposedly NC will have flash capabilities in a future update.

 

@readerRH, yes they do look terrible.  I'm not sure if it's the compression of the html files directly from youtube, or if it's a weakness of the current android build.

 

 

B&N Bookseller
MollyO
Posts: 128
Registered: ‎04-07-2009
0 Kudos

Re: I can't watch youtube videos on Nook Color. Any Suggestions?

YouTube mobile was meant for smaller mobile screens therefore the terrible video quality. With the expected update to the Android OS 2.2 in 2011, the NOOKcolor will support flash such as that displayed on the full site version of YouTube. Be patient, this is after all, an eReader, not a PC. More features to come...

Molly - CRM2723
Wordsmith
mbratch
Posts: 675
Registered: ‎11-23-2010

Re: I can't watch youtube videos on Nook Color. Any Suggestions?

I know some are making the argument that the NC is "just a reader" but really, it isn't. If I wanted "just a reader" I'd have spent 139 on a Kindle. The NC is a cross-over product between a reader and a pad PC, to some degree. It's focus is reader, but think of it more as a literature and art device if you will. The ability to read books, watch videos, listen to music (or perhaps an audio book or lecture) should all be a workable part of the experience. Otherwise, why pay the extra 100+ bucks for it? So you can view a few color diagrams in a PDF? I don't think so.

 

That all said, I think the Nook Color is right on target with where it is and where it's going. Great product. I think B&N called the market right by not trying to be just another Kindle. I like being able to read a book, listen to Pandora stations and, occasionally on whim, pop over and check my facebook wall. :smileyhappy:

 

So back to the video thing... I've tried the mobile Youtube as well and videos won't play at all, not even in low, scrungy resolution mode. It tries to load the video, then just pops back to the main screen, often without even an error message. I'm supposing the new Android coming in the next month or so with flash support will remedy that.

Contributor
kriter20088
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎12-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: I can't watch youtube videos on Nook Color. Any Suggestions?

Did you go into the browser and click on settings and unchecked the popups? This is what we had to do..however the videos play but are bad quality. Not sure why or any fix for this?

Katrina Riter
Contributor
anieb
Posts: 21
Registered: ‎12-17-2010
0 Kudos

Re: I can't watch youtube videos on Nook Color. Any Suggestions?

Mine couldn't display youtube videos either. I changed my router to a newer, faster one (by far), getting the Netgear WNR3500L ($77) and now they're all viewable. THe resolution of these is quite low though.but it's nice to be able to view some .
Wordsmith
mbratch
Posts: 675
Registered: ‎11-23-2010
0 Kudos

Re: I can't watch youtube videos on Nook Color. Any Suggestions?

 


kriter20088 wrote:

Did you go into the browser and click on settings and unchecked the popups? This is what we had to do..however the videos play but are bad quality. Not sure why or any fix for this?


Yes, I have pop-ups disabled. Still no video. Not even grungy ones off the mobile site. It just says "loading video..." for quite some time, then jumps back to the original screen. Or sometimes I get the error, "Cannot play vide; Sorry, this video cannot be played".

 

Inspired Correspondent
pen_name19
Posts: 114
Registered: ‎12-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: I can't watch youtube videos on Nook Color. Any Suggestions?

 


mbratch wrote:

 


kriter20088 wrote:

Did you go into the browser and click on settings and unchecked the popups? This is what we had to do..however the videos play but are bad quality. Not sure why or any fix for this?


Yes, I have pop-ups disabled. Still no video. Not even grungy ones off the mobile site. It just says "loading video..." for quite some time, then jumps back to the original screen. Or sometimes I get the error, "Cannot play vide; Sorry, this video cannot be played".

 


 

How odd.  On our Nook-color, "block pop-up windows" is checked, as are "enable javascript", and "enable plug-ins".  We went to "m.youtube.com/", in the search window entered "nookbn", selected "NOOKcolor Features & Touch Gestures", and it played fine (tho maybe lo-res).

-- bye

 

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
Posts: 1,581
Registered: ‎12-27-2010

Re: I can't watch youtube videos on Nook Color. Any Suggestions?

Mobile youtube is viewable on my NC; watched a couple...not worth my time...worse than the early days of youtube. 

 

IMHO, youtube on the NC is a lost cause until the rumored Flash update 2011Q1.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Wordsmith
mbratch
Posts: 675
Registered: ‎11-23-2010
0 Kudos

Re: I can't watch youtube videos on Nook Color. Any Suggestions?

 


pen_name19 wrote:

 


mbratch wrote:

 


kriter20088 wrote:

Did you go into the browser and click on settings and unchecked the popups? This is what we had to do..however the videos play but are bad quality. Not sure why or any fix for this?


Yes, I have pop-ups disabled. Still no video. Not even grungy ones off the mobile site. It just says "loading video..." for quite some time, then jumps back to the original screen. Or sometimes I get the error, "Cannot play vide; Sorry, this video cannot be played".

 


 

How odd.  On our Nook-color, "block pop-up windows" is checked, as are "enable javascript", and "enable plug-ins".  We went to "m.youtube.com/", in the search window entered "nookbn", selected "NOOKcolor Features & Touch Gestures", and it played fine (tho maybe lo-res).

-- bye

 


That's my setup. And I did exactly the steps you mentioned to get that specific video. But mine says it can't run the video.

 

Correspondent
Jazola
Posts: 137
Registered: ‎10-30-2010
0 Kudos

Re: I can't watch youtube videos on Nook Color. Any Suggestions?

Steps to Check for Mobile App on Nook color:

 

1.  Open browser.

2.  In upper right corner there is an area that looks like lines, click on that.

3.  Go into "more options."

4.  Go into "settings."

5. Check "Browser Mode/User Agent".

 

If that is set to Desktop, use the drop-down menu and change to Mobile Browser Mode.

 

This may correct your problem.  

 

I had to change mine back to desktop to get signed into one of my frequently used websites.

 

Hope this helps --

 

Zola

Inspired Contributor
ToddK
Posts: 62
Registered: ‎12-30-2010
0 Kudos

Re: I can't watch youtube videos on Nook Color. Any Suggestions?

[ Edited ]

sub_rosa wrote:

I've got an idea - go over to your laptop, log into youtube, and watch all the videos you want.  Then when you're done, pick up your Nook and read a book.


That helps how?

 

What a tool...

Wordsmith
mbratch
Posts: 675
Registered: ‎11-23-2010
0 Kudos

Re: I can't watch youtube videos on Nook Color. Any Suggestions?

 


Jazola wrote:

Steps to Check for Mobile App on Nook color:

 

1.  Open browser.

2.  In upper right corner there is an area that looks like lines, click on that.

3.  Go into "more options."

4.  Go into "settings."

5. Check "Browser Mode/User Agent".

 

If that is set to Desktop, use the drop-down menu and change to Mobile Browser Mode.

 

This may correct your problem.  

 

I had to change mine back to desktop to get signed into one of my frequently used websites.

 

Hope this helps --

 

Zola


Everything else I've done using the NC web browser has worked regardless of what mode I was in (mobile or desktop). Youtube videos have not played under any condition, desktop or mobile setting.

 

It will be nice when the flash capability is added. :smileyhappy: