Frequent Contributor
DaKiltedOne

I different view of epublishing

We are often embroiled in discussion of the "Agency Model" pricing of e-books.

I thought I might share the view of Baen publishing.

I won"t copy and paste the whole thing, but I would ask that you follow this link and read what he has to say.

I applaud him and his authors.

http://www.baen.com/library/intro.asp

Inspired Contributor
TaustinOC

Re: I different view of epublishing

Jim Baen was a very, very smart man, who "got it" a lot sooner than anyone else. He understood many years ago that piracy isn't a problem, and that free books sell more books. When he put "On Basilisk Station" up for free, a book that had been out for years at that point, the paperback version again became their best selling book, and the entire series got a boost. Every time the free library got any publicity, that same book in paperbakc (one of the best they've ever published) would shoot the the top again.

I suspect that JK Rowling studied Baen, in particular, very closely, in deciding how handle the Harry Potter ebooks.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

The common sense point  view in this article is one I basically share. I would add the practice of selling the majority of paperback and e books at only 2 or the most three price points assumes all authors have equivalent talents and is possibly counter productive. I believe this a convenience for the bookseller and not in the best interest of less well known authors.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

>>As a widespread phenomenon rather than a nuisance, piracy occurs when artificial restrictions in the market jack up prices beyond what people think are reasonable.<<

That is incredible common sense.  Most people have no objection to paying a reasonable price for a given product.  It's only when the price is no longer comparable to the value that they balk.

Frequent Contributor
efeigenbaum

BFCoughlin wrote:

>>As a widespread phenomenon rather than a nuisance, piracy occurs when artificial restrictions in the market jack up prices beyond what people think are reasonable.<<

That is incredible common sense.  Most people have no objection to paying a reasonable price for a given product.  It's only when the price is no longer comparable to the value that they balk.

That was very well said.  I will admit; I have pirated ebooks and for the very reason you gave.  I buy ebooks from Baen and other website where they aren't priced outrageously.  I am not, however, going to pay more for an ebook that what the paperback is going for.  To me, that's just stupid.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

efeigenbaum wrote:

I am not, however, going to pay more for an ebook that what the paperback is going for.  To me, that's just stupid.

So you'll steal the digital file instead of buying the paperback?  

Inspired Wordsmith
MatthewH

Re: different view of epublishing

I have praised Baen Books many times in this forum, and am happy to see others doing so. My wife and I are longtime Fantasy & SF readers, so we have many hardcopies of Baen books (including most of Weber's Honorverse and Bujold's Vorkosiverse) on our shelves. Now I also have lots of Baen ebooks on my NC.
Remember: the big print giveth, the small print taketh away.
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947

I like Baen's model, and think some principles could be applied to the wider publishing industry successfully in some genres.

For instance; the free library (releasing the first one or two books in a series for free in order to hook readers to buy the rest of the series) works well for genres that lend themselves to longseries. Mysteries, science fiction, and fantasy in particular would work very well. Biographies and non-fiction, not so much.

DRM could and should obviously be scrapped across the board.

Not allowing any third-party to sell your book is crap.

Inspired Wordsmith
MatthewH

Baen is clever about promoting their backlist, because they realize the value of getting readers hooked on a series. In addition to making older volumes of a series available free online, they also put out cheap paperback omnibus volumes comprising two or three novels as a cheap entry point for readers who prefer hardcopies.
… On the other end of the pipeline, they sell "e-ARC" versions of forthcoming books: traditionally Advance Reader Copies were quickly-printed hardcopies of the authors near-final manuscript sent free to reviewers at newspapers and magazines. They warn customers that an e-ARC may contain typos and/or continuity errors because they have not gone through the final editing stages. Probably e-ARC buyers are mostly hard-core fans of a series who cannot wait for the next episode: which is to say, people like me! I have been known to get an e-ARC while awaiting the pre-ordered hardback.
Remember: the big print giveth, the small print taketh away.