Frequent Contributor
abrahamm
0 Kudos

I love the largest text size

But, I wonder if I'm not hastening the demise of my Nook?

In the past year, I've found my eyes demand the largest text size, (yes, I'm a Jr. Geezer) but of course this means I'm constanting paging...thus, perhaps, accelerating the wear on my e-reader.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

Re: I love the largest text size

You're using the battery charge faster, because it's page turning that takes energy; the static display does not draw power.  So you may need to recharge more often.  But I can't imagine that you're going to wear out the Nook faster, especially if you're using the screen touch to turn pages rather than pressing the button.  My visually impaired mother uses the same setting, and hers is still going strong with no problem..

Frequent Contributor
abrahamm
0 Kudos

That's reassuring - thanks!

Only in the past few months have I found that I can't read print without eye strain/pain even using reading glasses.

In fact, I've had a subscription to "Playboy Magazine" for years and can no longer read the interviews/articles.

I DO subscribe for the articles (yes, my wife laughed out loud with this declaration) and to prove it, if I could find a downloadable text only version I would promptly do so to my Nook. I've tried and can't find a downloadable text only version, sigh...

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

abrahamm wrote:

That's reassuring - thanks!

Only in the past few months have I found that I can't read print without eye strain/pain even using reading glasses.

In fact, I've had a subscription to "Playboy Magazine" for years and can no longer read the interviews/articles.

I DO subscribe for the articles (yes, my wife laughed out loud with this declaration) and to prove it, if I could find a downloadable text only version I would promptly do so to my Nook. I've tried and can't find a downloadable text only version, sigh...

LOL, I can't imagine there's much of a market for it.  :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
RJR443
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm an actual geezer--70 in April--with macular degeneration.  I keep my Nook at the second highest setting and still get almost  30 hours of reading on a charge.  So I can't see you faring much worse on a setting only one higher.

One of the ways I enable my reading is to use a pair of clip-on craft magnifiers to keep the print-size manageable.  They even help me read the articles in my Mental Floss (don't dare bring Playboy into the house).  If you think they might help you, their name is  Magni-Clip, and they're available on-line.  They come in a range of strengths (I'm currentl using 4.5 diopter in addition to my reading glasses).  They've been a life-savwer for me.

One final thought:  long before you wear that Nook out, you'll have replaced it with one of the next models to pop up.  :smileywink:

Frequent Contributor
abrahamm
0 Kudos

RJR443,

Thanks for the tip regarding the Magni-Clips. Before I plunk my money down though, I'll need to look into what strength is best for me and my peepers...

I think the bifocal section on my progressive lenses is something like 250 or so (I can confirm this with my optometrist) and with that particular confirmed, I'll know which strength Magni-Clips best for me.

As it is, my magazine subscriptions are still current, yet I can't read them. Perhaps, with the Magni-Clips I'll be able to once again enjoy them.

Thanks again.