Correspondent
Toller
0 Kudos

I'm shopping...maybe

I've had a Nook original with and one without Wi-Fil, Color Nook, and a Nook Simple Touch with GL.

Now my wife wants to buy me a next generation Nook. I think she just wants my Color Nook.

Anyway, basically I read books. I don't watch movies or read magazines. Once in a while I'll check email.

The Color Nook is about 2 years old and hasn't been any problem but it does go through a minimum of 2 re-charge cyles per day.

1. Should I change from the Color Nook to a HD or HD+?

2. Which? The HD+ seems to be a good bit heavier than I'm used to but is it to heavy to hold to just read?

What else do I need to consider that I've not thought of?

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

Re: I'm shopping...maybe

If you're really just reading, no movies, no magazines, do you really need a color tablet at all? If you have some other device available for occasionally checking your email, you might want to consider just a plain Nook Simple Touch for book reading. I find it easier on the eyes than any LCD screen, and so light for easy one-handed reading. I have a tablet for various other purposes, but for just reading I absolutely love my NST.
Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram

I agree with MacMcK1957.  If you're just reading books, then the NST or Glow are the way to go.

They're cheaper, lighter, and have much longer battery life.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Toller wrote:

I've had a Nook original with and one without Wi-Fil, Color Nook, and a Nook Simple Touch with GL.

Now my wife wants to buy me a next generation Nook. I think she just wants my Color Nook.

{snip}

If that's the case, why dont you surprise her witb the new device?:smileywink:

Inspired Contributor
Logician

[ Edited ]

I had the HD, which was incredibly light coming from the Tablet. With the crazy cheap prices, I recently got an HD+. It's definitely heavier, but it's not too heavy for regular use. I was very pleasantly surprised as I thought I'd only use it for magazines and what-not due to the weight. However, it has become my default reader for all material. Even with books, I enjoy the extra real estate on the larger screen.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

1. Should I change from the Color Nook to a HD or HD+?

1) For reading the eInk Readers are best. If you want the best REading Tablet in the Nook line that would be Nook HD.

2. Which? The HD+ seems to be a good bit heavier than I'm used to but is it to heavy to hold to just read?

2) Nook HD+ is definitely heavier. Longer reading stretches become uncomfortable.

Nook HD is light and easy to use and hold.

What else do I need to consider that I've not thought of?

3) Other Tablet options.

Windows 8 Tablets are coming out. Samsung announced new tablets.

There's a conference going on right now (i think Comdex) and lots of Tablets being announced.

Intel has released a new line of processors (Haswell) that are more power efficient so Windows 8 Tablets might be better than they were.

If you want Nook itself, then Nook HD is best in my opinion.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

It depends on how much you read and what you read. if you have more than 500-600 books from B & N and like to keep them on shelves on your nook, go with the HD, as the nook simple allocated memory for B&N purchases will only hold 500-600 books. After thar, you have to sideload books, either onto the non B&N portion of the nook memory, or onto an SD card. There's still an issue with keeping books sideloaded onto an SD card shelved. I've essentially quit using my simple touch because I'm out of onboard memory, and it's more cumbersome to sideload and shelve books on the Simple touch than it is the nook tablet, color or even the HD. 

If you read magazines or newspapers, go with the HD or HD plus.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

If you just read books, you might want to get the HD, because it is smaller and lighter.  If you often take it with you during the day, it's easier to carry or to fit into a bag or whatever you use to transport Stuff.  On the other hand, reading a book on the HD+ is more like reading a hardcover, while the NC (and, since they're the same size) the HD is more like a paperback.  I find I actually prefer the HD+ for reading books because of this.  I keep it in a sleeve rather than a cover, so there's no extra weight when I'm reading.  I haven't found it too heavy for an hour to an hour and a half of reading every night. 

keriflur
0 Kudos

If all you do is read books, just give your wife the color and read on the NSTG that you already own. :smileywink:

It's been over a year since B&N announced the NSTG, which means we're due for a new eink nook, something to bring B&N in line with Amazon and Kobo's high-res e-ink devices (or one up them).  The NSTG will do everything you need it to for reading, and if a new eink device comes out, you can upgrade to that.

If you really want a tablet, whether to get the HD or HD+ really depends on what form factor you prefer.  I don't have either of the nooks, but I do have devices with equivalent form factor (the N7 and the iPad), and I prefer to use my larger device over the 7-inch one.  When I only had the 7-incher, I didn't use it for much beyond reading, but I use the larger device for everything (reading, email, internet browsing, etc.), and I never thought I would.  I still do most of my reading on my NST though.  If you're not going to use your NSTG and really want a tablet-style nook for regular, heavy reading, go with the smaller one.

roustabout

Honestly, one of the pleasant surprises on the HD+ was how light it was in comparison to the Nook Color given the additional screen size.

The nook color weighs (at least according to Ars) 422 grams;  the HD+ weighs 515 grams - a difference of less than 4 ounces for a great deal more screen.

One of the less pleasant surprises for me with the HD+ was that the screen seems much dimmer when set to max brighness than the Nook Tablet does.  I haven't compared the Nook Color head to head against the HD+ and am no longer in a position to.  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Dimmer?

I found the Nook HD+ screen painfully bright. Perhaps you have some setting for screen brightness or something tweaked?

roustabout
0 Kudos

Dimmer than the nook tablet, yes.  My memory is the tab is brighter than the color, though.  

Overall, great nighttime/indoor screen, completely unusable outside in actual daylight. (Not full sunlight on the screen - I mean, not usable unless both the device and my eyes are in decent shade.)  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Correspondent
bugeek

Wonder if the brightness on HD+ has something to do with the Power Save switch in Settings menu
Correspondent
Toller
0 Kudos

Thanks for all the responses. They're sort of all over the waterfront but that's what I expected. Each gives me something to consider and I thank you for taking time to answer my questions.

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

Toller,

one more thought....what is the source of the books you read?  i had the Nook Color and loved it.  Most of my books came from the public library and i loved the stock reader.  i got an HD because i wanted to use the Hulu app and when i first got it I could still sideload public library books.  However, a tweak sometime around Christmas made that feature go away.  now I use the Overdrive app for library books, but wish I still had the use of the stock reader.  Unfortunately, I gave my NC to a friend, or I think I might still be using it.  I love my HD, but miss the stock reader.

Of course, if you are buying your books or sideloading them from another source as fully licensed epubs, you can do that on the HD as well. 

I thought about the HD+, but the HD seems more book sized. 

more confused???

Jeremy

Bibliophile
5ivedom

For HD ADE doesn't recgonize it. However, you can register ADE account on Nook HD in Settings.

Then you move books downloaded to ADE from Library.

You move those books to HD and they will be open-able.

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

5ivedom,

I have ADE on my HD and I've tried moving books that have been downloaded to ADE on my PC, but when i try to open them, I get "Error dialog: book already returned." 

What I don't understand is that for those who seem to be able to drag and drop  their library book's epub files and get them to open, how are they able to do so without the acsm file?  Doesn't the HD need the digital rights info to open the file?  That is why I think i can't open them.

If you can tell me what I am doing wrong so that i can open my public library books with the native reader i would really apppreciate it!!!!

Thanks,

Jeremy