Frequent Contributor
DeathGrin
0 Kudos

Re: I played with the new NST with GlowLight

That was my interpretation of the valued member for a long time ie she has helped people here for a while. As I said that was my interpretation of your comment.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

DeathGrin wrote:

Sadly the web browser I am forced to use at work wouldn't let me edit my post without kicki9ng me offline entirely.  After 7 attempts I decided to not even bother. Even trying to quote Nallia booted me out.

After posting I did see other posts about people getting them early ( or expecting them early.) So my bad on that.

On another note having a large number of posts doesn't make someone  a pillar of the forum (for lack of a better word) I have been on enough forums to see the jerks with more post then the people who are actually there too help. I am not directing this last comment at anyone just making a point.

Just an FYI - this is not every other forum.  This is this forum, and for the most part when people are jerks they tend to get themselves in trouble and get "evicted" before their post count gets all that high.  For the most part, the high post count people *are* here to help, and to discuss.

Frequent Contributor
DeathGrin
0 Kudos

Thanks for that. Regardless there are always exceptions to the rule.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

DeathGrin wrote:

Unless you are a B&N employee and got to take a demo home I have to call false to this. Most stores have only just got a demo. Devices aren't even available for sale yet.

Man, I thought I was cynical!  Early orders shipped early.  Sheesh!

►Without order there is chaos◄
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

DeathGrin wrote:

That was my interpretation of the valued member for a long time ie she has helped people here for a while. As I said that was my interpretation of your comment.

Well, my personal opinion is that a valued member of an online community is someone who establishes a track record of contributing in a positive way and not trolling.  People who do so tend to stand out to me (of course, so do the trolls heh).  Does that often come with a high post count?  Sure.  But they aren't mutually exclusive.  Plenty of new members stand out in the same way to me right away.

Post count is meaningless to me, so I was confused  for a moment as to why you would bring it up.  Then I remembered that it seems to be a badge of honor to some and that some forums make a Really Big Deal out of it.

Frequent Contributor
DeathGrin
0 Kudos

AlanNJ: congrats for not reading the post I made after that.  Sheesh yourself.

Nallia: I agree that post count is not the important thing and should have been more specific in my original post as to what I had meant. Live and learn :smileyhappy:

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

DeathGrin wrote:

AlanNJ: congrats for not reading the post I made after that.  Sheesh yourself.

Nallia: I agree that post count is not the important thing and should have been more specific in my original post as to what I had meant. Live and learn :smileyhappy:

It is not customarily my practice to read thru to the end of a thread and then go back into the thread to try to find the posts I want to reply to.  My apologies for not having enough time in my life to do that.

For future reference, you can usually edit a post you made if you want to add comments to it.

Frequent Contributor
DeathGrin
0 Kudos

Had you done so in this case you would have seen that editing was not an option on the web browser I had been forced to use at the time of my posts.

Either way it doesn't matter.

keriflur
0 Kudos

I went in today and looked at the glow display models at my local B&N in downtown Seattle.  I could definitely tell that the contrast was less on the glow model compared to the N2E in a side-by-side comparison.  The background is darker and the text is lighter with the light off.  I also saw the slight yellow tint that someone had mentioned.

BUT...  When I was looking at just the glow model and NOT doing a side-by-side comparison, I thought the glow model was great.  I had no trouble reading the text or seeing images or anything.  In fact, it looked just like I remembered my NST looking, and I'd just used my NST that morning.  I could only tell that there were any differences by looking at both models side-by-side.

I also felt the slight texture change in the surface of the glow version, and I kind of like it.

Reading on it did feel a bit like reading on a backlit screen, but I didn't read for very long, just the first few pages of the first Harry Potter, in my usual font and font size, spacing, etc.  I'll wait to hear more reviews from those that have purchased the devices to see if others get eyestrain or have a hard time falling asleep after reading on it for a while.

All in I thought it was pretty nifty, but I'm hardly ever in a position where I wish I had a light on my N2E, so I'm going to hold off until we start to see price reductions.

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

DeathGrin wrote:

Had you done so in this case you would have seen that editing was not an option on the web browser I had been forced to use at the time of my posts.

Either way it doesn't matter.

How would I have any idea what web browser you were using?  By the way, I've used IE, Firefox and Chrome on this site and all have allowed editing.   I believe the editing function of the website does time out after a while but it has nothing to do with what browser you are using from what I understand.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
DeathGrin
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
AlanNJ: As I said, had you read my second post you would have seen the trouble I came across everytime I tried to edit or even quote. My work internet is insanely basic. It blocks off any number of sites as they don't want us playing around on the internet while working.   This will be my last post on the subject. Respond if you will. Honestly i don't care anymore. Also I am able to edit right now becuase I am on my Nook .
Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

I went in today and looked at the glow display models at my local B&N in downtown Seattle.  I could definitely tell that the contrast was less on the glow model compared to the N2E in a side-by-side comparison.  The background is darker and the text is lighter with the light off.  I also saw the slight yellow tint that someone had mentioned.

BUT...  When I was looking at just the glow model and NOT doing a side-by-side comparison, I thought the glow model was great.  I had no trouble reading the text or seeing images or anything.  In fact, it looked just like I remembered my NST looking, and I'd just used my NST that morning.  I could only tell that there were any differences by looking at both models side-by-side.

I also felt the slight texture change in the surface of the glow version, and I kind of like it.

Reading on it did feel a bit like reading on a backlit screen, but I didn't read for very long, just the first few pages of the first Harry Potter, in my usual font and font size, spacing, etc.  I'll wait to hear more reviews from those that have purchased the devices to see if others get eyestrain or have a hard time falling asleep after reading on it for a while.

All in I thought it was pretty nifty, but I'm hardly ever in a position where I wish I had a light on my N2E, so I'm going to hold off until we start to see price reductions.

I'm glad someone else has said they noticed the difference in screen contrast on a side by side comparison!    i'm going to try reading a book on it tonight and see how I do, maybe when I don't have them side by side I wont notice what i'm missing.   :smileyhappy:

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18

[ Edited ]

Nallia wrote:

... Post count is meaningless to me, so I was confused  for a moment as to why you would bring it up. 

One way to get a high post count is to argue with everyone, and reply to every rebuttal ...

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Would you say the contrast is at least as good as the N1E?  

I ask, because what you say here is almost word for word what I said about the N1E vs N2E...  Mr. Ya_Ya has been reading on his Droid X and claiming it's "fine."  He got called for jury duty selection so I made him take my N2E with him and he's now interested in a NOOK.  If the contrast is as good as/better than the N1E, I'll pick up the Glow so we have one day reading, one night reading NOOK between us...  If not, I'll just buy another N2E...

keriflur
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

keriflur wrote:

Would you say the contrast is at least as good as the N1E?  

I ask, because what you say here is almost word for word what I said about the N1E vs N2E...  Mr. Ya_Ya has been reading on his Droid X and claiming it's "fine."  He got called for jury duty selection so I made him take my N2E with him and he's now interested in a NOOK.  If the contrast is as good as/better than the N1E, I'll pick up the Glow so we have one day reading, one night reading NOOK between us...  If not, I'll just buy another N2E...

I'd have to have them side-by-side to say for sure, but I think that yes, it probably is.  I think that the best plan, though, would be to take the N1E into a store and look at them both side-by-side.  My bet is that the two screens look almost identical, but it's so subjective.

Distinguished Correspondent
akaCat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

AlanNJ wrote:

How would I have any idea what web browser you were using?  By the way, I've used IE, Firefox and Chrome on this site and all have allowed editing.   I believe the editing function of the website does time out after a while but it has nothing to do with what browser you are using from what I understand.

Ironically, I think it was a (hacked?) NC browser that prevented me from editing posts once upon a time. Well, in theory I could edit them -- but in practice, any post longer than four lines was a lost cause. And a single quote was enough to push any post past four lines!

Back on topic, I really hope that the difference in contrast isn't something I'll notice. The NST has spoiled me for easy, clear readability, but I could really use a backlight. I think my cats are tired of me evicting them from the one living room chair that has good lighting for reading. :smileyhappy:

bobstro

DeanGibson wrote:

Nallia wrote:

... Post count is meaningless to me, so I was confused  for a moment as to why you would bring it up. 

One way to get a high post count is to argue with everyone, and reply to every rebuttal ...

No it's not. (With apologies to Monty Python)

Inspired Correspondent
karmamule

[ Edited ]

I got my GlowLight nook on Friday, and my impressions after a weekend of use are:

• I definitely can notice a difference in contrast, and not only when side-by-side with the original Simple Touch. Having said that I still think the contrast is more than acceptable and it is still very pleasant to read on.
  • I like the textured feel of the screen. It goes well with it being a touch-centric device.
  • There's definitely a bright line across the top of the display but it is not bothersome.  (And I *am* somewhat sensitive to that sort of thing.  I have a kindle touch w/Amazon's case with built-in light, and the glare from the bottom of the little bulb bothers me enough that I ended up getting this new nook.)
  • As someone who reads a fair amount in bed, the glow is very nicely done.  There's a *slight* amount of unevenness in the lighting across the page, but it's still more pleasant and consistent than any booklight I've ever used. 
  • Touch response is slightly better.  I especially notice it when typing full words.

Overall I'm happy with it and would recommend it *if* either cost is not too big a consideration and you want the added flexibility, or you often read in low-light situations.

Regard all phenomena as dreams.
Frequent Contributor
rafalweb
0 Kudos

DeltaT wrote:

gstone wrote:

DeltaT wrote:

I tried one too at my local B&N today.  The line of light along the top of the screen was much brighter than I expected, even in the very well-lit store.

As I understand it the default setting right now is blindingly bright.

The next time you look at one try adjusting the light.

Thank you for the suggestion.  I did try it at even the lowest setting.  As someone with vision in only one eye, I might be more sensitive to the light bar than fully-sighted people.

But I really do think that a lot of people will be dismayed by how bright and distracting the line is in a bedroom at night.

That's why I have both e-ink and backlit devices, and these days you can have both (and color, too) for not much more than you pay for a Glow screen.

It must be a personal thing, becuase I got a good look at it, and the light didn't bother me at all.   It is, of course noticeable, but the resulting backlighting over the page is fairly even, and gives the page fine visibility to my eye....and I noticed that much more than the light source itself.  But that's just me.