Bibliophile
bklvr896

Instructions for Sideloading B&N Books

Hi all,

I'm writing up some instructions for my mom to help her with sideloading her BN purchased books to her Nook Simple Touch.  She's been having trouble with her WiFi access at home, so until I can get up to her house to figure out the problem, she's sideloading the books.  Which is fine, except I have to walk her through it each time.  So I wrote these instructions. 

I would appreciate any feedback on the instructions keeping in mind that they have to be very specific for her, no assuming she understands or knows what I'm referring to.

Thanks for any feedback.

If you don’t have WiFi access and you buy a book from B&N, you can download it the PC and then sideload it to the Nook.  Sideloading is simply a fancy term for copying the book from your PC to the Nook.  So how do you do this?

1. Buy the book
  2. Open Nook for PC on your computer
  3. Nook for PC should automatically sync to your online account and download the book.  If it doesn’t, click on the sync icon in the upper right corner.
  4. Make sure that My Library – All Items or My Library – eBooks is selected on the left.
  5. If the sort button doesn’t say Recent, click on it until it does.  This will put your new books at the top. (Note, in the instructions for her, I have a picture of this)
  6. Once your book is downloaded to Nook for PC, connect your Nook to the computer.
  7. You should see a popup window that says “DEVICE DETECTED”.  Click yes.
  8. Now you should see a file sharing window.  The left white box is the Nook, the right white box is your computer (desktop).
  9. Click on My Library next to the word Desktop.
  10. Find the book you want to transfer and click on it to highlight it.  If you want to transfer more than one book, hold down the control key on your keyboard and click the next book you want to transfer.
  11. Click on the left facing double arrow between the two white boxes.  This will transfer the files.
  12. Now you should see the books in the left (Nook) white box, indicating they have been copied onto the Nook.  (Note:  They will still be on the desktop side also.)
  13. You have completed transferring the books to the Nook.  Now you need to eject the Nook and disconnect from the computer.
  14. Open Windows Explorer (File Manager), locate the Nook drive on the left pane.  Right mouse click and select eject.
  15. Open the Nook to the library and your books should be there.  If you have the sort order set to recent, they should be at the top.  If not, they’ll either be in author or title order.

Alternate to step 7.  If you already have your Nook connected when you load Nook for PC, then click on "My Stuff" on the left and click on the button at the top that says "Manage Devices" to open the file sharing window.

Reader 2
Mikey-Mike
0 Kudos

Re: Instructions for Sideloading B&N Books

Thank you so much for this info!

Distinguished Correspondent
nlstein
0 Kudos

Good article but assume you are loading only books you got from B&N to the main memory on the Nook.

Many of us get epub books from other sources and want to put them on the mini SD card that one adds to the nook (which adds a lot more memory to the Nook). Instructions on how to do this are covered in the Nook instruction PDF that can be downloaded (or just read on-line) from the B&N web site support area.

The ability to do this is one of the main advantages of the Nook over the Kindle.

MacBoy
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

nlstein wrote:

Good article but assume you are loading only books you got from B&N to the main memory on the Nook.

Many of us get epub books from other sources and want to put them on the mini SD card that one adds to the nook (which adds a lot more memory to the Nook). Instructions on how to do this are covered in the Nook instruction PDF that can be downloaded (or just read on-line) from the B&N web site support area.

The ability to do this is one of the main advantages of the Nook over the Kindle.

The purpose of these instructions were to explain how to sideload books purchased from B&N, I've already given her instructions on how to sideload library books, which is the only other place she gets books.  She's been having WiFi problems and until I get up there later this week to fix it, she has to sideload her B&N books.  She also has to sideload any books I give her that were purchased from B&N.  This is the easiest way to do that so I wrote the instructions. I wanted some feedback before I gave them to her, in case I skipped over a step or something wasn't clear.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Looks good to me. I might put a picture of the file sharing window, too, if they were for my Mom. She would need it.
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:
Looks good to me. I might put a picture of the file sharing window, too, if they were for my Mom. She would need it.

Thanks Ya_Ya.  I probably will, I'm going to be at her house tomorrow so we'll go over the instructions and I'll add what she needs.  But, she does need very specific instructions and pictures always help.

New User
reader-one_two
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for your help! I had no idea how to sideload and I appreciate your instructions so much!!! Following your directions made it easy!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Well, the good news is that installing the NST update seems to have fixed her WiFi problem, so now, she can just download the B&N books via WiFi.  Of course, now I have to show her how to do this.  But it is certainly easier to get the books via WiFi than sideloading, whenever possible.  I still have to walk her through sideloading library books though.

Reader 4
ericakb
0 Kudos

So if ive purchased b&n books for my nook color, can i load them onto my daighters nook color if we have a different acct? And how can i tell which books aew which? Arent tgey only identified by a number? Just got my daughter a nc and am trying to decide whether or not to give her her own acct. But the b&n rep said i couldnt share purchases between acct.
Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

ericakb wrote:
So if ive purchased b&n books for my nook color, can i load them onto my daighters nook color if we have a different acct? And how can i tell which books aew which? Arent tgey only identified by a number? Just got my daughter a nc and am trying to decide whether or not to give her her own acct. But the b&n rep said i couldnt share purchases between acct.

Use Nook for PC to download the books to your PC. Nook for PC will download your ebooks with recognizable filenames (part of the book title). Than connect your daughter's NC to your PC, and copy the books to her NC.

New User
MusicCityVol
0 Kudos

I am new to this board and I am looking for help.  My daughter has a Nook Color and registered it to her account. She has had it for a year.  My wife just got a Nook Tablet and registered it to her account.  I am trying to sideload a book that my daughter bought to my wife's Nook.  I downloaded Nook for PC, logged in as my daughter and I see all her books.  I connected my wife's book to the PC, downloaded the book and copied it to my wife's Nook.  So good so far.  The Nook ask me for the credit card that my daughter bought the book on and I entered it but it will not unlock.  I tried multiple times on the book, even downloaded other books and it will not unlock any of them.  I called our BN store and the tech said it couldn't be done.  I told him I saw in in multiple places on this forum.  He still said it could not be done.  I called BN tech support and the tech said it could be done, but not on all books.  She said you could only do it on some books and apparrently all the books I tried it was not allowed.  What are the odds of that?  I finally deregistered my wife's Nook and registered it under my daughter's account and was able to download the book.  This works but it is not what any of us want.  Any help would be appreciated.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

MusicCityVol wrote:

I am new to this board and I am looking for help.  My daughter has a Nook Color and registered it to her account. She has had it for a year.  My wife just got a Nook Tablet and registered it to her account.  I am trying to sideload a book that my daughter bought to my wife's Nook.  I downloaded Nook for PC, logged in as my daughter and I see all her books.  I connected my wife's book to the PC, downloaded the book and copied it to my wife's Nook.  So good so far.  The Nook ask me for the credit card that my daughter bought the book on and I entered it but it will not unlock.  I tried multiple times on the book, even downloaded other books and it will not unlock any of them.  I called our BN store and the tech said it couldn't be done.  I told him I saw in in multiple places on this forum.  He still said it could not be done.  I called BN tech support and the tech said it could be done, but not on all books.  She said you could only do it on some books and apparrently all the books I tried it was not allowed.  What are the odds of that?  I finally deregistered my wife's Nook and registered it under my daughter's account and was able to download the book.  This works but it is not what any of us want.  Any help would be appreciated.

The only thing I can offer is if your daughter's credit card has a middle initial on it and her account doesn't try it both ways.  I seem to recall that I had to use my name as it on my B&N account, not my credit card or maybe it was the other way.  In any event give it try using both versions, if there are, as see if that works.  I've never heard of it not working on some books, I've never not had it work on any book.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

The only thing I can offer is if your daughter's credit card has a middle initial on it and her account doesn't try it both ways.  I seem to recall that I had to use my name as it on my B&N account, not my credit card or maybe it was the other way.  In any event give it try using both versions, if there are, as see if that works.  I've never heard of it not working on some books, I've never not had it work on any book.

It's looking for the name on the BN account not necessarily the name on the credit card. The name on my credit card doesn't match the name on my BN account. I have to enter the account name for it to unlock a book.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

gstone wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

It's looking for the name on the BN account not necessarily the name on the credit card. The name on my credit card doesn't match the name on my BN account. I have to enter the account name for it to unlock a book.

That's what I thought I remembered but wasn't sure.  Mine are also different, and if I can't remember which one it wants, I just try both.  

New User
cajun_librarian
0 Kudos

Thanks for your help!! I was having trouble with my wi-fi and your directions helped!! One question:  For some reason the downloaded books went to "my documents" instead of "my library" on my nook.  Is there any way, I can transfer the books from my documents to my library.  Any clue why it did this??

Thanks so much!!

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Oops, read that wrong.

Yes, you can, just move them over with a cut and paste.

New User
Simple49
0 Kudos

Using your instructions, I was finally able to download my books. The detailed, step-by-step was a great help! Thanks for taking time to write these instructions.
New User
Star-Trekker-13
0 Kudos

I have a Macbook Pro. Not a PC. What do I do then?

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Star-Trekker-13 wrote:

I have a Macbook Pro. Not a PC. What do I do then?

Download Nook for Mac or NookStudy (now Yuzu) to your mac. Open the app, sign in, and download your books.  Find the folder that the books are in (I haven't downloaded these apps to my mac so I can't say exactly where they show up, but I'm guess it'll be in Documents.

To sideload to a nook, just connect your nook to your mac and copy the files over. If you're sideloading to a nook that is on the same account that you downloaded the books from, you should be good to go.  If you're sideloading to a nook on a different account, when you open one of the sideloaded books, you'll need to sign in with the name on your account (the one your books are in) and the default credit card number on your account.