flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923
0 Kudos

Re: Introducing NOOK Tablet - 8GB

EllenKeiff wrote:

Cool beans, I will.  And I am assuming that since your qualified personnel will be doing it, it will not void my warranty in any way shape or form?  (Sorry just want to make sure!)

Repartitioning at a BN store (sorry Dean :smileyhappy:)is covered under the warranty. If we mess it up we'll give you a new device.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,240
Solutions: 18

[ Edited ]

floridaphil wrote:

DeanGibson wrote:

floridaphil wrote:

512mb RAM = FAIL...  

Another BMW car owner coming over to the Audi car forums ...

I maintain that the 8gb NT would have been FAR more interesting had it shipped with 1gb memory. Or maybe enabled blue-tooth.  For the same price they could have crushed the Fire in hardware terms (app store is something else). Instead, B&N chose to match it.  A real missed opportunity and that's why it's a FAIL in my ever-so-humble A4 opinion..

My comment addressed your first comment, which I thought was more in the line of my characterization.   You've clearly been on a mission regarding the NT:  http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Tablet-General-Discussion/My-Nook-Tablet-review-posted-t... which you posted to several other venues as well (and has been deleted from XDA-devs, I believe).

Your second comment (while I disagree with it) has some meaningful content.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,240
Solutions: 18

[ Edited ]

flyingtoastr wrote:

Might I make a teeny tiny suggestion.

Why don't we all take a collective deep breath and wait a few days to see some actual side-by-side comparisons between the 16 and 8 models ... before we all go crazy....

So before the doom and gloom why don't we wait a little bit for some concrete facts.

What would be the fun in that?  After all, isn't the whole purpose of the Internet (or at least the traditions of the B&N forums), for people who know absolutely nothing about anything, to parade same in front of the whole world?  And quickly, before any facts become known? (Like "v1.4.2 isn't rootable" ...)

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?  Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? — Kelly's Heroes

I personally think the NT/8 will be a success, but if it gets the "price drones" in the door and a different Nook is sold instead, isn't that worthwhile?  After all, the engineering cost to produce a manufacturing run of the new NT/8 is pretty near zero, so even if it "FAILS", it can still succeed for the company.

flyingtoastr wrote: ... I'm sure there will be some performance hit from the reduced RAM, but I don't think it will be as drastic as some people are saying....

I think that's true for most people.  I personally would pick the NT/16 because I bought the device to render 6MB single-page PDF files, and I think the extra RAM helps in my case.  For people that need the performance, the price increment is reasonable enough;  for those that don't, the new NT/8 competes effectively against the Kindle Fire (unless the latter recently got an SD card slot ...).

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Reader
lavahart
0 Kudos

Exactly what does it mean to repartion the Nook? I have the Nook color and have been thinking of upgrading to the Nook tablet. Is there enough difference to justify the upgrade? Thank you.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

lavahart wrote:

Exactly what does it mean to repartion the Nook? I have the Nook color and have been thinking of upgrading to the Nook tablet. Is there enough difference to justify the upgrade? Thank you.

1.  Repartitioning is changing how the internal memory is split between your storage and storage for B&N purchases.  Right now, most of the internal storage is reserved for B&N purchases while you get 1 GB to upload directly to your Nook Tablet or Color.  B&N presumably did this because they DO offer off-board storage on micro-SD cards for user material and likely didn't want to deal with complaints about users running out of room for applications, books and videos purchased through B&N.

2.  It depends on how you use your Nook.  For reading purposes, I see no real difference between the Nook Color and Tablet aside from the Tablet being 10% lighter (not insignificant when you're reading for a long time) and having about 3.5 hours more reading time.  For browsing the web, watching videos or other purposes that are more compute-intensive, the Tablet is noticeably faster -- not a lot but noticeably better.  If you are a rooter and want the native Android experience even part-time, the Nook Color is a better platform for now.

I like both and would definitely get the Nook Tablet if I were buying for the first time but I don't see it being worth the "upgrade" unless you are a gadget junkie, need the weight loss or longer battery life, watch a lot of videos on the 7-inch screen, play games or surf the web a lot.  FWIW, both of the Nook gurus at my local B&N store stuck with their Nook Colors.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25

I've weighed both sides of this, and I conclude that this is a bad move for Barnes & Noble.  First, because it smacks of desperation. But more importantly, what they've done is exactly match Amazon in hardware and price. That leaves only one thing different:  the software, i.e., the apps and content.  And when buyers see that everything else is equal, they're going to have to give the edge in content to the Fire.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

richardwrite25: But more importantly, what they've done is exactly match Amazon in hardware and price.

Not exactly. Tablet buyers still get an SD card slot and a mircrophone that Fire buyers won't. Whether or not those features will make up for the convenience and content of the Fire will depend on the buyer is looking for.

Distinguished Correspondent
Czechboy
0 Kudos

richardwrite25 wrote:

I've weighed both sides of this, and I conclude that this is a bad move for Barnes & Noble.  First, because it smacks of desperation. But more importantly, what they've done is exactly match Amazon in hardware and price. That leaves only one thing different:  the software, i.e., the apps and content.  And when buyers see that everything else is equal, they're going to have to give the edge in content to the Fire.

I don't see it as a bad move at all.  It's worked out quite well for Apple to have a variety of levels so that people can choose what's important for them to spend their money on.  I don't believe that offering more choices is going to have a negative affect on their nook sales.  If anything, it shows that B&N is aware that everyone has different wants in an eReader, and this is a way to offer people what they want without making them pay for the full 16GB tablet version.

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
Wordsmith
BruceMcF

richardwrite25 wrote:

Note that the first is a circular argument, since if you think its a strong move, then it doesn't smack of desperation.

And in addition to the fact that the Tablet has hardware features the Fire lacks ... note that as far as whether the content gives the edge to the Fire or the Nook depends on what content you are looking for. When I bought my Nook Color, I was shopping for an ePub capable media tablet, and the refurbished Nook Color was the cheapest available. And Kindle lacks the same quality of layout of manga that the iPad and Nook support.

It'd be a step down for me to go back to stock, but it wouldn't be enough to make me prefer the content available to a Kindle over the content available on a Nook Color. And get the Crunchyroll, Crackle and the soon to be introduced FUNimation app, and I'd not be inconvenienced very much at all: if I didn't have a netbook, then lacking a file manager would be a serious pain, but for me, it would just be a minor inconvenience.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

Oh, I wouldn't say it's a bad move, I just don't understand the product EXCEPT as a marketing pitch -- bring in people who haven't committed to the Kindle ecosystem by pitching a product with very similar specs and price then upsell the better model once they realize it truly is better.  It seemed to me the Nook Color already pretty much filled the niche that the NT 8GB does other than name so in my poor non-MBA mind, they needed to work on marketing and brand recognition more than releasing a new version.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Wordsmith
TnTexas

Omnigeek: Oh, I wouldn't say it's a bad move, I just don't understand the product EXCEPT as a marketing pitch -- bring in people who haven't committed to the Kindle ecosystem by pitching a product with very similar specs and price then upsell the better model once they realize it truly is better.  It seemed to me the Nook Color already pretty much filled the niche that the NT 8GB does other than name so in my poor non-MBA mind, they needed to work on marketing and brand recognition more than releasing a new version.

Exactly - especially since they have the same amount of RAM. The Tab8 processor is faster and has a microphone of course; but with the software update to the Color, those really are the only differences between the two.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

Omnigeek wrote:

...  It seemed to me the Nook Color already pretty much filled the niche that the NT 8GB does other than name so in my poor non-MBA mind, they needed to work on marketing and brand recognition more than releasing a new version.

Three steps:

(1) Selling the Nook Color to someone at the same price point of the Kindle Fire is running uphill, since the Kindle Fire has better specs.

(2) So sell the Nook Color at a price discount to the Kindle Fire.

(3) Therefore something is needed that can be sold at the same price point as the Kindle Fire. Since the original NT can't be, they made a version of the NT that can be.

That gives them one direct rival to the Kindle Fire that they will price wherever the Kindle Fire is priced, and their already introduced devices as price leader and feature leader.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923

TnTexas wrote:

Exactly - especially since they have the same amount of RAM. The Tab8 processor is faster and has a microphone of course; but with the software update to the Color, those really are the only differences between the two.

There are a few minor differences between the Tablet and Color beyond the processor and mic.

The most important is that underneath the fork the NOOK Tablet runs Android 2.3 (gingerbread), while the NOOK Color is still using Android 2.2 (froyo). It doesn't mean a whole lot, but there were some refinements to 2.3 that simply make it run better.

Correspondent
FARIEQUEENE

I think it's smart to have a variety, as a NC owner who has an Ipad, iphone, laptop, desktop, and netbook, I never have looked for another tablet style machine, I wanted a really really nice ereader, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE my NC, but it was getting older and so when the newer 8g tablet came out, basically just a spiffier NC, I went for it because its just right for what I want it for.

We have to realize that everyone out there has different needs and wants, for 199, I paid less than I paid for my NC originally and I got a longer battery life than my original NC and a few other advances without just going for the full on tablet, which I really don't need to spend the extra 50 bucks on.  

I don't think BN is desperate or wrong for feeling out there and finding out what ALL of their customers like, I am pretty pleased with  my new 8g tablet.  

"I have the body but of a weak and feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a king."
Reader
Ray31
0 Kudos

Well, the company got at least one new customer.  When I first compared the Nook Tablet to the Fire, I decided that the Nook Tablet was superior.  But when I found out that I could only have 1GB for my own stuff, that turned me off.  There was no possible way that I could imagine needing 15GB for Barnes and Noble content. 

When the 8GB was released and I saw that it allowed more space for my stuff, I went and bought it the day it was released.  Fortunately, there is a store about 10 minutes from my house. 

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr: There are a few minor differences between the Tablet and Color beyond the processor and mic.

The most important is that underneath the fork the NOOK Tablet runs Android 2.3 (gingerbread), while the NOOK Color is still using Android 2.2 (froyo). It doesn't mean a whole lot, but there were some refinements to 2.3 that simply make it run better.

Ah, I didn't realize that. I thought the big update with the Tablet's software made it exactly like the Tablet software wise. My apologies.

Distinguished Correspondent
Reisnice
0 Kudos

I don't think the NT8 is all that bad of a move, although the specs might be a little too close to differentiate them, and they take up twice as much retail space to display and stock. I've probably sold 2 or3 NTs to fellow customers at the local Best Buy store, simply by explaining the advantages of having the SDcard, if you wanted to travel and take your movies with you. I was perfectly honest about the pros/cons of the Az store vs the Nook's store &Netflix. But it was a big jump in many people's minds to feel that the extras that they couldn't see plus the SDcard were worth $50. With no price difference, it wouldn't have been a 2 minute conversation unless they already subscribed to Amazon Prime.
Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

Reisnice wrote:
I don't think the NT8 is all that bad of a move, although the specs might be a little too close to differentiate them, and they take up twice as much retail space to display and stock. I've probably sold 2 or3 NTs to fellow customers at the local Best Buy store, simply by explaining the advantages of having the SDcard, if you wanted to travel and take your movies with you. I was perfectly honest about the pros/cons of the Az store vs the Nook's store &Netflix. But it was a big jump in many people's minds to feel that the extras that they couldn't see plus the SDcard were worth $50. With no price difference, it wouldn't have been a 2 minute conversation unless they already subscribed to Amazon Prime.

As far as the narrow difference, they seemed to have swapped down to the only lower cost parts they could in the short term to shave a few dollars off the manufacturing cost without coming in under Amazon's tablet on any row of the spec sheets, changing the board design or requiring a rewrite of stock software.

So I agree that it is a bit narrow, but since the NT8G price is a lot more aggressive than the NT16G price, if even 10% or 20% of NT buyers opt for the bigger storage and better RAM (or can be upsold for bigger storage and better RAM), that would probably be enough to justify the decision to hold onto the original NT16G and do their price-matching with a "budget-version" of the NT design. And of course, adding a "budget version" to come down to the Fire price and some of the Fire specs is also a way of underlining, "really, this one over here is more expensive because it is more capable than Amazon's tablet.

However, if its possible to keep the same board design and step up to 32G flash, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the NT16G replaced by an NT32G in XMas2012.  Indeed, there was talk B&N working toward a media download store of some kind in 2012 when the NT was first introduced in November 2011. If they do get that up and running, then more onboard flash storage is a substantial selling point.

Everything contingent on what people show they are willing to buy and what Amazon does in the meantime, of course.

Contributor
Hiberny
0 Kudos

I've been throwing my loose change in a jar since November for a Nook Tablet.  While I am tempted to buy the 8GB version, I will probably wait until I have the extra $50.  I want it to be as future proof as possible.  I have an infant son and want to pass the NT on to him in a few years when he starts showing an interest in reading.  I don't want to find out the RAM is insufficient for the apps of next year.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Um...

If you are talking a couple years from now...you are going to find out that the NT (even with 1gb of RAM) likely won't be adequate for running any of the modern apps (at that time).  It will still be an OK ereader but this year is already being shown as the year of quad core tabs and I would guess upping the RAM will also be in the next year or so as people look to have tabs be more of a PC/Mac replacement.