Inspired Contributor
Warlock_Writer
0 Kudos

Re: Introducing NOOK Tablet - 8GB

geertm wrote:

floridaphil wrote:

512mb RAM = FAIL...  

Unfortunately for most consumers price seems to be more important than specs. The 512mb RAM of the Kindle Fire has not made the device a  FAIL.

How much of a difference will the reduced RAM make? I currently have a Nook Color, and the 8GB Tablet looks tempting as a replacement. I personally like the new partitioning. How much RAM does the Nook Color have? I've tried to look for specs but I can't find it. If 512 is going to slow down things (like video), I'm not interested.

Thanks!

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Be careful with assumptions ...

[ Edited ]

Don't expect the old NC repartitioning scripts (at least the ones done by me) to work on either NT.  The NC repartitioing used DOS-compatible partitioning w/ FDISK.  The first NT (and I presume this newer one as well) uses EFI/GPT partitioning.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Reader 4
daniel3291

Great business decision

This is a great decision from B&N.  Their hardware was better with the 16 gig nook tablet, but this is going to be lost on a lot of users and they will only see that the kindle fire is $50 less.  

Interesting how many versions of tablets are being released, to cater to the different needs of each type of consumer.

I still think they need to allow access to the android store again (same thing everybody says) because one of the biggest differences between the fire and nook is that amazon has a huge head start on the number of apps they make avaliable.

I got a nook tablet, and my mom got the kindle fire.  My step-dad is considering which one to get.. and he apparently read an article that said the fire is "the clear winner".  He couldn't be more wrong, but all the nook tablet needs is app access to be awesome.

In my opinion, B&N just needs to focus their lower-end readers (the e-ink nooks) into their book store, and leave tablets with a more open software system, which people can use for multiple purposes.  (book reading AND playing games from the market etc.)

A lot of people who buy the nook tablet, if it had access to the android market, would still shop at B&N for their books and many apps  just because it is more accessable.

I also really like that we can get a re-partition of our hard drive in store for our 16 gig nooks!  Smart move, but hopefully there will be a way to do this remotely for people who don't have easy access to physical stores.

The closest B&N is about 2 hours from me

Wordsmith
TnTexas

[ Edited ]

Warlock_Writer: How much of a difference will the reduced RAM make? I currently have a Nook Color, and the 8GB Tablet looks tempting as a replacement. I personally like the new partitioning. How much RAM does the Nook Color have? I've tried to look for specs but I can't find it. If 512 is going to slow down things (like video), I'm not interested.

According to the product page, the Color also has 512 RAM and a slower processor. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Re: Great business decision

I see this as similar to PC's slightly different configurations to meet different price points and user needs.  The $169.00 price on the color should appeal to NST trading up and modders.  Looking ahead I would guess that next fall Nook Color's life will be ending the end of this year and an enhanced NT will be debut.

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

Re: Great business decision

[ Edited ]

Just seems to me that this is backwards.  If B&N needed so badly to compete in price with Amazon Fire (which they did because I didn't see a lot of comparison-to-the-Kindle ads), this new NT should have been released first.  Then, if needed, update to the $249 later with maybe something new and improved (apps seems to be an issue).

But I agree with others, B&N needs to advertise what their products actually do in comparison to the Kindle.  I see Kindle advertised in print everywhere, and rarely see the Nook advertised.  After all, the people who buy readers READ printed ads.

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

Nook Color w/ B&N coupon = $119

[ Edited ]

gb18 wrote:

Even better......the Color down to $169!

Unless you saved one of the USPS mail coupons (sent to some B&N membership card holders) that offer $50 off a new Nook Color through the end of this month.

Then it's $119 (brand new, warranty, etc), or 30% off.  That's VERY tempting as a backup ...

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

No one-trick-pony company

[ Edited ]

JMTR wrote:

My initial reaction is that three different B&N tablet-like e-readers is at least one too many -- and this doesn't even count whatever truly new device may be in the works. At this moment, Amazon has only one 7-inch tablet. Why does B&N need three to compete effectively? Will there be sufficient demand to sustain all three as separate offerings?

The history of product marketing hwas always been that having additional models increases sales.  Look at cars:  every manufacturer has a bewildering selection of models, and if any market in the world understands the variations in consumer "needs", it's the automobile market.

Look at Amazon and the variation in Kindle models.  It makes Amazon not look like a "one trick pony", and now B&N is using the same tactic.  After all, what does it cost B&N to do this?  Just use slightly different parts in a manufacturing run.  Both the 512MB/8GB model and the 1GB/16GB model will sell well, and B&N will use the ratio (unfettered by issues of brand loyalty or most other factors in the comparison) to see what customers really want (and in what proportion) -- there's nothing like using REAL sales data, as opposed to what some nitwit reviewer thinks will sell.

A company that puts all its eggs in one basket assumes that:

1. Its customers don't have individual tastes.
  2. Its management is clarvoyant as to what the customer needs.

I think it's EXACTLY the right move.

Oh, and having one internal partition that has everything in it (different message) ignores 30+ years of experience in the computer industry in designing secure and reliable systems.  It's not going to happen, and that's a good thing.  For one thing, it makes a failed firmware upgrade much more easily recovered from automatically.  Eg, if you attempt to apply the v1.4.2 update to a rooted v1.4.1, the update fails, keeping v1.4.1, but you lose all sound from the device until you revert to a stock v1.4.0.  That obviously was not intended, but bugs are bugs, and the multiple partitions keep things separated.

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

floridaphil wrote:

512mb RAM = FAIL...  

Another BMW car owner coming over to the Audi car forums ...

Distinguished Correspondent
JMTR
0 Kudos

Re: No one-trick-pony company

Dean Gibson wrote: "The history of product marketing hwas always been that having additional models increases sales."

Not always; sometimes. It depends on (1) the strength of the brand that is being extended, and (2) the ability of the manufacturer to sustain multiple lines, differentiate marketing sufficiently, and support potentially distinct customer classes. There are plenty of examples of imprudent diversification. I would say that the jury is still out on both (1) and (2) with respect to the Nook.

Of course, as someone else has suggested, it's also possible that the Nook Color will be phased out before too long, in which case the number of 7" B&N tablets will revert to two.

"Look at cars:  every manufacturer has a bewildering selection of models, and if any market in the world understands the variations in consumer needs', it's the automobile market."

This is actually a very problematic example. Yes, model "speciation" tends to be rampant in the auto world; on the other hand, many companies have paid a heavy price for overextending themselves in this regard. The story of the auto industry over the last couple of decades has been one of retrenchment and reduction of diversity: Saturn (gone), Eagle (gone; I used to own one), Oldsmobile (gone), Pontiac (gone; I used to own one), Mercury (gone; I own one of these now!), Plymouth (gone), etc.

In any event, B&N is a manufacturing dwarf compared to the auto companies. Brand extension that works for a behemoth does not necessarily make sense for a small company.

"Oh, and having one internal partition that has everything in it (different message) ignores 30+ years of experience in the computer industry in designing secure and reliable systems.  It's not going to happen, and that's a good thing."

Huh? Just about every PC I've owned has come with a hard drive with only one partition (a couple have had hidden partitions for system recovery). The only time really I've had multiple partitions is when I've partitioned the hard drive myself. My experience has been been that storage space is more efficiently used without multiple partitions, especially when space is tight to begin with. Perhaps the Android model assumes multiple partitions, but I would rather do without them.

Frequent Contributor
rafalweb
0 Kudos

DeanGibson wrote:

JMTR wrote:

My initial reaction is that three different B&N tablet-like e-readers is at least one too many -- and this doesn't even count whatever truly new device may be in the works. At this moment, Amazon has only one 7-inch tablet. Why does B&N need three to compete effectively? Will there be sufficient demand to sustain all three as separate offerings?

The history of product marketing hwas always been that having additional models increases sales.  Look at cars:  every manufacturer has a bewildering selection of models, and if any market in the world understands the variations in consumer "needs", it's the automobile market.

Look at Amazon and the variation in Kindle models.  It makes Amazon not look like a "one trick pony", and now B&N is using the same tactic.  After all, what does it cost B&N to do this?  Just use slightly different parts in a manufacturing run.  Both the 512MB/8GB model and the 1GB/16GB model will sell well, and B&N will use the ratio (unfettered by issues of brand loyalty or most other factors in the comparison) to see what customers really want (and in what proportion) -- there's nothing like using REAL sales data, as opposed to what some nitwit reviewer thinks will sell.

A company that puts all its eggs in one basket assumes that:

1. Its customers don't have individual tastes.
  2. Its management is clarvoyant as to what the customer needs.

I think it's EXACTLY the right move.

Oh, and having one internal partition that has everything in it (different message) ignores 30+ years of experience in the computer industry in designing secure and reliable systems.  It's not going to happen, and that's a good thing.  For one thing, it makes a failed firmware upgrade much more easily recovered from automatically.  Eg, if you attempt to apply the v1.4.2 update to a rooted v1.4.1, the update fails, keeping v1.4.1, but you lose all sound from the device until you revert to a stock v1.4.0.  That obviously was not intended, but bugs are bugs, and the multiple partitions keep things separated.

Apple does something similar.  It has 8 gb, 16 gb, and 64 gb versions of the iPod touch, for instance, and similar variant iterations of the iPhone, Macs, etc.   They have been pretty successful with this model for years now.  I know that BN doesn't have the pop appeal of Apple, but the model itself has been in use and has worked.  So let's see what happens.  

Contributor
Popsinator

So when will B&N decide to unlock the storage on the original NT? This new 8GB NT is a much better deal at $199 then my 16GB NT was at $249 - I still only have 1GB of "user content storage" available to me, perhaps the the original should be renamed Nook Shaft.

Correspondent
BrassMonkey
0 Kudos

Popsinator wrote:

So when will B&N decide to unlock the storage on the original NT? This new 8GB NT is a much better deal at $199 then my 16GB NT was at $249 - I still only have 1GB of "user content storage" available to me, perhaps the the original should be renamed Nook Shaft.

you'll be able to repartition the original 16 gig tablet in march. You'll be able to have 5 gigs for b&n content and 8 gigs for your sideloaded content. This will be done for you in he brick and morter stores according to b&n.
Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Perhaps the Android model assumes multiple partitions, but I would rather do without them.

Nailed it. Android is a face and support services on top of a Linux system based on an ext family format system (ext3?), but the conventional USB disk access from PCs assumes a FAT system, so you need one of each. That's why you need an ext partition on your microSD card to load apps onto the card in a rooted app2sd syst em.

As far as the product differentiation ~ all sorts of abstract problems can be imagined. In reality, the KindleTab is the market segment leader, so pushing the older hardware down to a lower price point, and replacing it with a proc, RAM and Flash comparable NT at the same price point is a much stronger product line. It allows them to sell the NT-lite on their Nook v Fire talking points, then after selling the NT-lite, upsell the NT.

Inspired Contributor
Warlock_Writer
0 Kudos

TnTexas wrote:

Warlock_Writer: How much of a difference will the reduced RAM make? I currently have a Nook Color, and the 8GB Tablet looks tempting as a replacement. I personally like the new partitioning. How much RAM does the Nook Color have? I've tried to look for specs but I can't find it. If 512 is going to slow down things (like video), I'm not interested.

According to the product page, the Color also has 512 RAM and a slower processor. 

Thanks. I missed that. Apparently my ability to read was hampered yesterday. :/

Okay, that tells me that the 8GB Tablet would be a good upgrade for me, when the time comes. Assuming something better/cheaper doesn't come out before then.

Czechboy
0 Kudos

rafalweb wrote:
Apple does something similar.  It has 8 gb, 16 gb, and 64 gb versions of the iPod touch, for instance, and similar variant iterations of the iPhone, Macs, etc.   They have been pretty successful with this model for years now.  I know that BN doesn't have the pop appeal of Apple, but the model itself has been in use and has worked.  So let's see what happens.  

Yep I agree.  Although I'm not an apple fan in any way, it's hard to argue with a successful business plan like theirs.  I think the more options you offer people, the more likely you are to let them choose the product that's just right for them.  I don't see that as a bad thing.

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
DeanGibson

JMTR wrote:

Dean Gibson wrote:

"Oh, and having one internal partition that has everything in it (different message) ignores 30+ years of experience in the computer industry in designing secure and reliable systems.  It's not going to happen, and that's a good thing."

Huh? Just about every PC I've owned has come with a hard drive with only one partition (a couple have had hidden partitions for system recovery). The only time really I've had multiple partitions is when I've partitioned the hard drive myself. My experience has been been that storage space is more efficiently used without multiple partitions, especially when space is tight to begin with. Perhaps the Android model assumes multiple partitions, but I would rather do without them.

You are apparently referring to Microsoft systems installations.  Most everyone with any understanding of computer configurations has, since the mid-1970s, configured operating systems with the OS, application programs, and data separated in at least separate root folders, if not in separate partitions, for a number of reasons, not the least of which is convenient backup.

Microsoft has always had a "we don't have to look at how the rest of the computer industry has designed operating systems;  we're smarter than that" attitude, typically making fools of themselves in the process.  Now, finally after a couple of decades, they have finally started to do with folders, what the rest of the industry has known for decades is just good common sense.  I can give other examples (eg, the capability to back up updates).

Of course it's more efficient to have everything in one partition.  If your goal is "efficiency", then have at it.

And what is this "space is tight to begin with?"  I hope you are not one of those who are unhappy that you have to buy an SD card for your Nook, because you only have 1GB of user file storage space available (soon to be "remedied" if desired by B&N stores).  This is another area where experience suggests that most user files be on externally-mounted media.  After all, cost can't possibly be an issue in any reasonable sense.

Please note that last May I developed procedures for the Nook Color to repartition that device into one of several user-space configurations, because people wanted that choice.  That didn't mean I thought it was a good idea;  I upgraded my (then) two (older) NCs to the (then) new B&N partitioning scheme (1GB user space).  Then and now, I put zero permanent content in the internal memory user file storage area, because it makes no sense to me.

floridaphil

[ Edited ]

DeanGibson wrote:

floridaphil wrote:

512mb RAM = FAIL...  

Another BMW car owner coming over to the Audi car forums ...

So Dean, in your little world, only Audi owners would be 'permitted' to express an opinion about Audi cars?

Actually since I own a 1st Edition Nook I guess I am an A4 owner commenting on an A6 forum.

I maintain that the 8gb NT would have been FAR more interesting had it shipped with 1gb memory. Or maybe enabled blue-tooth.  For the same price they could have crushed the Fire in hardware terms (app store is something else). Instead, B&N chose to match it.  A real missed opportunity and that's why it's a FAIL in my ever-so-humble A4 opinion..

EllenKeiff
0 Kudos

Cool beans, I will.  And I am assuming that since your qualified personnel will be doing it, it will not void my warranty in any way shape or form?  (Sorry just want to make sure!)

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947
0 Kudos

Might I make a teeny tiny suggestion.

Why don't we all take a collective deep breath and wait a few days to see some actual side-by-side comparisons between the 16 and 8 models (I'm sure CNET and The Verge and the like will definitely do it) before we all go crazy. I'm sure there will be some performance hit from the reduced RAM, but I don't think it will be as drastic as some people are saying.

So before the doom and gloom why don't we wait a little bit for some concrete facts.