New User
goofy166
0 Kudos

Introducing the Nooklet

At this point the decisoin to buy a Nook instead of an iPad mini or Google Nexus 7 tablet is harder and harder to make. How many people have come to this conclusion - because of the huge price drops in general purpose tablets the days of the ebook reader are numbered?

Offer e-Ink and LED Screens in one device.

My humble advice to B&N is to capitalize on the one thing tablets all lack...make a general purpose table that has both a LED screen AND an e-ink screen. The e-ink screen would be used in the daylight and be powered by a separate battery so even if the tablet's power is drained the ebook will still work. That would give you an edge the Androids and iPads of the world will never attempt to add.

The Nooklet Edition

Here is my best idea. Create a new line of books that come with a built in reader like the simple touch. So on the shelf you can buy a hard bound copy of a Paterson novel and right next to it is what looks like the same book but instead of pages its a simple touch. You could have a simple touch version of your best sellers right on the shelf. Set it up so that the hard bound novel cost $27.00 and the nooklet version clost $37.00 to $57.00. This idea would keep you in the game for a long time.

Correspondent
Wulfraed

Re: Introducing the Nooklet

The screens are the most expensive parts... So your dual screen model would likely have to cost 50% more than a single screen model (minimum -- if they have to duplicate video chips/memory, you may be looking at 75% more).
Baron Wulfraed
Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch

I'm reasonably sure there are technological problems with making a screen both eink and lcd.  Ignoring that they are two entirely seperate technologies, the weight of the device would be a deterant to the consumers. 

Additionally there are many things that look good on an LCD screen that don't on an eink screen.  Check videos of rooted NST/Gs out.  They may work for those who opt to use them, but web on an eink screen is at best mildly frustrating.  So you'd have to bake in two GUIs, one for the eink screen, and one for the LCD screen. 

On to the nooklet.  People would just buy the hardcover or wait for the paperback.  Selling single use physical ebooks is not a market that's going to take off.  It's just like video games, you don't see a while lot of single game devices out there these days.  The reason is people do not want that kind of thing.  Not to mention the draw of an ereader is minimizing the physical footprint of your reading material from anywhere from zero to the books you really just want a physical copy. 

Tablets aren't a threat to ereaders.  They're a threat to tablets.  They'll become a threat to ereaders when they are as light as the ereaders and the battery lasts as long. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Certainly tablets canibalize some of the sales that would otherwise go to e readers. If the price differential is large enough, the advantages of e readers for those mostly interested in reading or as a second or third device will keep them available for some time.
Inspired Correspondent
bugeek
0 Kudos

There's actually a screen tech that works reasonably well, perhaps its evolved by now but its a dual mode display by pixel qi that is high res greyscale transflective with backlight low/off or lcd color with it on
Frequent Contributor
Larryb52

[ Edited ]

go back to the drawing board what they sell works if it doesn't for you than buy what you like and move on...and I think a reading tablet with Nook HD & HD+ is are good rather than an app for that on the ipad, IMO BN has the right idea tablet reading. It fits my lifestyle so I bought it, I'm not big into apps but do use them same with e-mail and browser I use them but the nook HD will not replace my laptop or ipad. I have no idea where people think the tablet is the jack all trades that is suppose to replace multiple devices, it just can't like computers they have strong and weak points....

bobstro

goofy166 wrote:

[...] Offer e-Ink and LED Screens in one device.

Something like this has been done with phones already.

My humble advice to B&N is to capitalize on the one thing tablets all lack...make a general purpose table that has both a LED screen AND an e-ink screen. The e-ink screen would be used in the daylight and be powered by a separate battery so even if the tablet's power is drained the ebook will still work. That would give you an edge the Androids and iPads of the world will never attempt to add.

There's already pressure down towards the $20 level for ebook-only devices. Txtr's Beagle will pair with cell phones, so accomplish some of what you're talking about for a price that's so low as to be very difficult to compete with.

It's a neat idea, but I think it might have had some traction when readers were $300 devices. When I can just buy a separate eInk reader for well below $100, and the Kobo Mini having been offered for $49 for Christmas, just buying a small daylight-readable NST is simpler.

The Nooklet Edition

Here is my best idea. Create a new line of books that come with a built in reader like the simple touch. So on the shelf you can buy a hard bound copy of a Paterson novel and right next to it is what looks like the same book but instead of pages its a simple touch. You could have a simple touch version of your best sellers right on the shelf. Set it up so that the hard bound novel cost $27.00 and the nooklet version clost $37.00 to $57.00. This idea would keep you in the game for a long time.

So you're suggesting a $10-30 cost per-book for this? It's a neat idea, but if a normal ereader can be had for $20 in the not-too-distant future, won't that be a bit of a mark-up.

I like the idea of using the nearfield communications (NC) feature in a lot of newer devices in a book store. Browse through a book store like B&Ns, and if you notice a book you'd like to read on your device, tap it to the shelf to make the purchase. It adds a tactile element to shopping that would be a plus for B&N's stores, not to mention allowing stores to get some credit for ebook sales. I recall B&N was planning to use NC for book info in stores. Did this happen with the new HD devices?

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

A death knell for this "Nooklet"

"DING" Power!

Are you including a $10 power supply with each? Who wants a drawer-full of identical power bricks. 10 Nooklets dedicated to one book each means you have 10 identical power bricks to store, if you supply the brick with the device. Otherwise, you have to ensure that sales staff asks the purchaser if they have the proper power supply already, and if not, to buy the power supply.

"DONG" Second power problem: Even Li-Ion/Li-polymer batteries will self-discharge over time when left on a shelf. That means having to remember to take one's "Nooklets" off the shelf maybe monthly and hook them to a charger... Oh dear -- need to charge 50 books! If each takes 10 hours to charge, you are spending 500 hours charging the books one at a time... Better buy a large power strip and lots of Nooklet chargers.

"DING" Each Nooklet edition is going to need custom silk-screening so one can tell what book is in it while they are stacked on a bookshelf.

Baron Wulfraed
bobstro
0 Kudos

It'd make taking a selection of titles along to read on vacation a bit cumbersome, wouldn't it? All the bulk of paper books, but with power dependencies!

Bibliophile
5ivedom

I think this is a good idea if done right.

Here are a few ideas to help things along:

1) Series Discount. OR Author Discount.

Buy a Dean Koontz Nooklet and get 25% off all his books.

2) SD Card swapping.

If you get a new Nooklet, you can take out the SD card and take that with you.

3) Each Nooklet has the same store and has a download feature.

So you can download books to read and swap them in and out wirelessly.

4) Custom Nooklets. This will really take off when 3D Printing becomes cheaper and more widespread.

1,000 custom Nooklets for Wheel of Time.

Stuff like that.

5) Resellable Nooklets.

I don't see how they could stop this. So this would be there right from the start.

6) Combination Nooklets.

$100 Nooklet with 7 books from an author. Or an entire series.

I'd pay $100 to get my 5-10 favorite authors' top 10 books. Make them custom and even better.

Correspondent
ewilson1114

Seems to me like it would be a whole lot simpler for publishers to just offer a digital copy (aka ebook version) with the purchase of a hardback book, like they do with movies.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

I like the idea of using the nearfield communications (NC) feature in a lot of newer devices in a book store. Browse through a book store like B&Ns, and if you notice a book you'd like to read on your device, tap it to the shelf to make the purchase. It adds a tactile element to shopping that would be a plus for B&N's stores, not to mention allowing stores to get some credit for ebook sales. I recall B&N was planning to use NC for book info in stores. Did this happen with the new HD devices?

So, Julie's kid takes Julie's Nook and goes running through the store, tapping on every book he sees?

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
bobstro
0 Kudos

DeanGibson wrote:

So, Julie's kid takes Julie's Nook and goes running through the store, tapping on every book he sees?

At this point, I'll put on my consultant's fedora and refer to that as an "implementation detail". The "quality" iOS market includes gems that let children rack up thousands in in-app purchases, so why not?

In seriousness, I'd assume there'd be some sort of safeguard.

Mercury_Glitch

DeanGibson wrote:

bobstro wrote:

Require password before purchase.  Make the tap trigger a purchase directly from shop as if you'd typed the name in.  Feature already present in the NST and tablet lines. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom

I think it's interesting the possible flaws that are being identified.

I like the power one. That's a major one.

Requires a creative solution.

The Julie's Kid one has an easy fix (Mercuy Glitch pointed it out). However, pretty sure there will still be instances of it where people don't put passwords.

I don't see any dealbreakers.

Right now we have Nook and Kindle for $79 and $89.

In 2007 the Kindle arrived at $399.

What's stopping prices from falling to $19 to $29 in another five years.

One thing that's sad about the whole shift in focus to Tablets (from eReaders) is that the rather exciting goal of eReaders and eInk replacing paper has been lost in the shuffle. I think that's really where eInk's future lies.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

I hate to throw cold water on stuff but this sounds to me like someone who wants an ATV that flies and does 20 knots on the water too.  Even making the device so you could swap the screens rather than have dual screens would be enormously complicated and expensive to service a very limited market.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Omnigeek wrote:

I hate to throw cold water on stuff but this sounds to me like someone who wants an ATV that flies and does 20 knots on the water too.  Even making the device so you could swap the screens rather than have dual screens would be enormously complicated and expensive to service a very limited market.

You're hardly throwing cold water on the original idea, I think the rest of us did a decent job putting the fire out and then some.  But it fostered a discussion on devices that is fairly divorced from the original concept.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

For the series-dedicated devices, I think that the Nook NYT annual subscription including free Nook Touch or $100 off Nook Tablet last year is already pointed in that direction. But it was, of course, not limited to the NYT subscription ~ it was a general purpose Nook Simple Touch.

IOW, drive the price of the existing eInk readers down some more, and its just a special bundled price.

As far as power supplies ~ Amazon already sells their Kindle Fires with just the USB cord, and if you want to buy a wall power supply, its extra. As long as the eInk reader charges well off a standard half amp USB power supply, I think we are where you can sell the wall brick as an added extra for the bottom line eInk reader.

But don't sell it as a Nook.You have a device content discount on a specific range of Nook book and Nook video content. You can apply that device content discount to a Nook HD/HD+ if you wish, If the Nook device center also stocks Windows Surface tablets, you can take the device content discount on the Windows Surface tablet.

And you also sell a pocket android player with pre-loaded B&N Nook and Nook Video apps, where the device discount on the bundlecovers the cost of the pocket android player, if you decide to get it with that preloaded content. But getting the cost down there probably means a relatively low-res LCD screen, maybe resistive touchscreen, likely shorter battery life than people are accustomed to.

Just like Green Giant doesn't sell their lower grade frozen vegetables under their brand, but rather as generic frozen vegetables under a house brand.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Right now B&N is offering a $30 gift card with a $79 Nook Simple Touch Reader.

So prices are falling non-stop.

I really like the idea of having a 'house' brand.

B&N should bring back the Nook Color and Tablet and extend the NST under a new brand 'EasyRead' or something.

And have them at $49, $99, $149.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

Right now B&N is offering a $30 gift card with a $79 Nook Simple Touch Reader.

So prices are falling non-stop.

I really like the idea of having a 'house' brand.

B&N should bring back the Nook Color and Tablet and extend the NST under a new brand 'EasyRead' or something.

And have them at $49, $99, $149.

Prices are 'falling' but it's not quite as large a fall as one may think when they first look at the offer.

First, you can't use that gift card toward the purchase of the device.  You get it as part of the transaction, if you return the NST the card is wiped as part of that return so no buying, getting the card, returning, and buying it with using the card. 

Second yes you do get 30 dollars.  Which you must spend at B&N in one form or another.  Sure it can be on ebooks, physical books, cafe, or any other item B&N sells but it's all going back to B&N. 

I also suspect it's a move to try and liquidate their stock of NSTs for a new eInk device in Spring.  Consider that there was a similar offer last weekend with the HDs, except it was 20$ as opposed to the 30$ for the NST and that the HDs are the pricier of the two devices, with a presumably longer shelf life due to speculated release dates. 

It's still a good offer, especially if you were already thinking of buying a NST, but it's not quite the price drop some may think.