Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Is B&N actually ADVERTISING for a change, or was it a fluke?

Was in the car last night, had basic news/weather/traffic station on.They played an ad for the nook hd mothers day sale. With the exception of the couple of tv ads they roll out between Thanksgiving and Christmas, have never ever seen any kind of advertising for the nooks.  Has anybody else noticed any ads? Or was it a fluke?

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Re: Is B&N actually ADVERTISING for a change, or was it a fluke?

Almost every day. Oh wait the ads in the store don't count?
The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Well, I guess advertising to people that already come into your store and are probably already familiar with your product is one strategy. Guess I was thinking of trying to get NEW customers. 

Frequent Contributor
TriscuitCracker
0 Kudos

I always lament the fact that BN has very little money to throw around for marketing like it's Google, Samsung, Apple, Amazon tablet counterparts. Our product is fine. Just nobody knows it. People everyday come into the store, do a double take at the Nook displays and go, "Oh, you guys sell Kindles/Ipads too?"

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook
0 Kudos

Funny you should mention this subject, NG. I never have understood why the lack of TV advertising for the Nooks. When people started pointing out that the Nook counters were being relocated in some stores and that may have been a sign that B&N were phasing out the Nooks, I got to thinking about the complete lack of TV ads for a long time.  I see 2 - 4 Kindle ads a week,  but no Nook ads. That bolstered the idea in my mind that the Nooks are on their way out. Recent events support that idea, unfortunately.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Yeah, people underestimate the importance of creating awareness.

For example, Samsung spends something like $4 billion a year on marketing. That's a big part of what has allowed it to do so well.