New User
Mouselet
0 Kudos

Is It Worth It???

As I said before, my old Nook is dying, and I am looking towards getting the money refunded. I kind of want a Nook HD but I don't know if it would be worth it. The Nook Tablet has longer reading time, but will that really matter? I would really like a new Nook (And soon!)...so is the Nook Tablet worth it? Or should I just get a Nook HD?? Please answer and thank you!

~Mouselet Loves Books!! :smileyvery-happy:
Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb

Re: Is It Worth It???

Refunded? If you think the improved screen and lighter weight, or bluetooth, are worth it yeah. If you mostly read books and don't expect to read magazines or watch video, or do much web browsing maybe not. I do think people who share their devices will like the profiles feature.
New User
Mouselet
0 Kudos

That doesn't really answer WHICH ONE. Under the warranty of the Nook i hae, it says that if they say that it is still under the Limited Warranty, they will either let you replace it for no extra charge or get the money you paid for it back. So...which would you say I should get? I was just reccomended a Nook HD by a Barnes and Noble associate.

~Mouselet Loves Books!! :smileyvery-happy:
Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

I certainly wouldn't buy the NT at the current pricing.  I got a refurb for my daughter when BN was selling them on their ebay store for $134.  At that price the NT would be worth it vs the HD, For the current minimal pricing difference between the NT16 and the HD (with a fairly significant improvement in screen and OS), I would buy the HD.  Once BN drop the price for the NT, it might be the better deal

Inspired Scribe
orb9220

[ Edited ]

Yep think I would get the moolah back and then let the juice flow and percolate more in my cranium before deciding. As not very accurate shooting quick in the snap judgements from the hip.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook

[ Edited ]

Mouselet wrote:

That doesn't really answer WHICH ONE. Under the warranty of the Nook i hae, it says that if they say that it is still under the Limited Warranty, they will either let you replace it for no extra charge or get the money you paid for it back. So...which would you say I should get? I was just reccomended a Nook HD by a Barnes and Noble associate.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

No. B&N, not you, gets to decide whether you will receive a replacement or get your money refunded.  You need to reread the Limited Warranty regarding this.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

petesnook wrote:

Mouselet wrote:

No. B&N, not you, gets to decide whether you will receive a replacement or get your money refunded.  You need to reread the Limited Warranty regarding this.

Quite right. Normally the replacement is what they do, with the money back guarantee as a fallback in case the replacement is not possible.

However, if they ARE willing to let you do a round-about trade up using your failing Nook and the cash fallback alternative on the warranty, at the current $20 price difference, it makes sense to pick the HD over the Nook Tablet.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

[ Edited ]

Quick Thoughts on Nook Tablet Vs Nook HD.

1) Nook HD comes with a much better screen.

It's 1440 by 900 resolution. And it's 243 pixels per inch.

It's a HUGE difference.

2) Nook HD has only 8 GB Memory.

3) Nook HD has less weight and it has a faster processor.

see this page for details: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Compare-NOOKs/379003181

Seriously, I'm very in touch with the details of these two devices since I develop apps for them. If you're talking about $199 Nook HD Versus $169 or $179 Nook Tablet from ONE YEAR AGO, there's no way I'd ever recommend getting the old model.

Nook HD gets a lot of new things like 80% of Retina Vision pixel density, lighter weight, better speakers (probably). And lots of other things that over one year would have improved.

only downside I can think of is that software will not be as polished and refined so you might (not for sure, just perhaps) have to wait for 1-3 software updates of the Operating System until its stable like Nook Tablet.

The screen is really, really good.

The software is based on Android 4.0.3 which is also much advanced.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF

5ivedom wrote:

No, the Nook HD comes with either 8Gb ($200) or 16Gb ($230) flash memory. Unlike the Nook Tablet, where the 8Gb version has half the RAM, that's just different flash memory sizes for the same device

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Thanks. I should have been clearer.

Correspondent
TelSC

5ivedom wrote:

Quick Thoughts on Nook Tablet Vs Nook HD.

1) Nook HD comes with a much better screen.

It's 1440 by 900 resolution. And it's 243 pixels per inch.

It's a HUGE difference.

3) Nook HD has less weight and it has a faster processor.

see this page for details: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Compare-NOOKs/379003181

Seriously, I'm very in touch with the details of these two devices since I develop apps for them. If you're talking about $199 Nook HD Versus $169 or $179 Nook Tablet from ONE YEAR AGO, there's no way I'd ever recommend getting the old model.

Nook HD gets a lot of new things like 80% of Retina Vision pixel density, lighter weight, better speakers (probably). And lots of other things that over one year would have improved.

only downside I can think of is that software will not be as polished and refined so you might (not for sure, just perhaps) have to wait for 1-3 software updates of the Operating System until its stable like Nook Tablet.

The screen is really, really good.

The software is based on Android 4.0.3 which is also much advanced.

You've got to be kidding me. 75% of the folks won't notice a bit of difference between the two. Why anyone would recommend staying with the Nook line can only be because they're going to make money from it. Save your money and buy a real tablet and stop following B&N off the tablet cliff.

Stop Calling It A Tablet
keriflur

TelSC wrote:

You've got to be kidding me. 75% of the folks won't notice a bit of difference between the two. Why anyone would recommend staying with the Nook line can only be because they're going to make money from it. Save your money and buy a real tablet and stop following B&N off the tablet cliff.

Wow, bossy much? 

Unless you've got statistics to back up that percentage, you're stating an opinion, not a fact. I happen to disagree with your opinion. If you can't tell the difference in screens, then don't shop based on screen quality. But don't assume that 75% of the rest of us are like you. 

patgolfneb

TelSC, screen quality, especially for those of us not running processor intensive software, is a top priority. The HD+ is capable of true HD display. If you had read 5ivedom's post in the past they are thoughtful and restrained. Your post is the one that seems representative of someone with an ax to grind.
Wordsmith
BruceMcF

TelSC wrote:

You've got to be kidding me ~ you feel the need to answer a comparison between the Nook Tablet and the Nook HD, answering somebody trying to decide between the two, by pretending that simply addressing the original poster's question its somehow a recommendation of "staying with a Nook" versus "moving to a 'real' tablet?

People who are eager to have a broad selection of apps shouldn't buy the Nooks. They should get the Nexus7, or wait for the next wave of Google tablets, because GooglePlay will always have the most apps. People who have Amazon Prime and hundreds of ebooks in Amazon proprietary format stored in the Amazon cloud and use the Amazon cloud to save their own documents ... obviously they should get a Kindle of one sort of another. OTOH, people who want the video selection of XBox Live, the best screen in class and the ability to fine tune parental controls for different kids in a house really ought to have a look at the Nook HD when it comes out next month.

DeanGibson
Topics: 93
Kudos: 2,290
Solutions: 18

[ Edited ]

TelSC wrote:

5ivedom wrote:
... The software is based on Android 4.0.3 which is also much advanced.

I agree somewhat (who needs a faster car?), but I think you overstate the case.  There are two discussions going on here:

A. Reasons that some (including me) might want to stay with the Nook Tablet vs. Nook HD/HD+:

1. Known quantity and stable (if imperfect) software.
  2. The USB to PC interface is FAT32, and is bug-free, compared to the MTP interface in Android 3.0 and later.  The MTP interface is also SLOW.
  3. The USB to PC cable can be replaced in a pinch with a standard micro-USB cable.  If I were to buy a Nook HD/HD+, I'd buy a spare cable/charger ASAP.
  4. Can be rooted if need be.  Note that intense effort to root the Nook Tablet came in part because the Nook Tablet hardware was superior (at that price point) to most everything else out there.  Also, a number of people bought the Nook Tablet with the expectation that it would be easy to root (based on experience with the Nook Color).  Neither of those are true in the current market.  Whether there will be enough developer interest in rooting the Nook HD/HD+, considering the perceived issues and the other devices out there, remains to be seen.  For example, I was the first, last, and only one to post anything on nookdevs.com about rooting the Nook 1st Edition with version 1.7.0, and that was over a year ago;  the rest of the developers had moved on.

For the above reasons, if my Nook Tablet were to die, AND if I were to decide to get another Nook tablet-like device, the above reasons would push me strongly in the "old" Nook Tablet direction (the only reason I don't also consider the Nook Color is speed).  Granted, we don't really know what's in the Nook HD/HD+ for general tablet users:  there are a lot of people making premature decisions on premature information..  And when we don't know, we wait (or should, if we can).  However, I'm not hopeful.

B. Reasons to buy the newer Nook HD/HD+ over the Nook Tablet:

1. Besides the hardware/software advantages already stated for the Nook HD/HD+, end-of-life for the Nook Tablet is clearly near, as reflected by the reduction in Nook Color/Tablet accessories (especially a choice of covers) available at my local B&N stores.  If I didn't already have a spare B&N USB cable/power adapter, I'd get one soon.  I might also pick up an extra cover for it, like I did for my 1st Edition: $15 for a nice $50 B&N cover with the light built into the side.  While not ideal, it's much better than those clip-on lights that look like insect antennae.

C. I can think of several reasons why someone who doesn't intend to profit from the sale of Nooks would recommend the Nook line over a generic tablet:

1. The "walled garden".  I happen to personally despise it for my own purposes, but I can see a genuine need for it for security reasons, either due to a self-acknowledged lack of sophistication about security, and for the similar issues regarding child use and/or theft.
  2. Local stores.  While Best Buy and other retail outlets usually have decent support, I think B&N makes a really good case for local, knowledgeable, motivated support, considering that the Nook line is the door to additional revenue.

Finally, while I can somewhat understand the desire for Android 3.x/4.x, I fail to see the relevance of this on Nook devices.  As I understand it (also owning an Android tablet that was updated from the manfacturer from 3.x to 4.0.3), most of the "advantages" of 3.x/4.x seem to be in the GUI.  With the B&N custom GUI, who cares (or can tell the difference?) about the underlying software?  BlueTooth is available in Android 2.2 (my phone).

Nooks: 2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted;
    2 HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
roustabout

[ Edited ]

One thing that I noticed about the relative 'snappiness' of recent Android releases is that gingerbread (nook tablet) and ice cream sandwich (my phone, my asus tab as of a few months ago) are quite responsive.  

I don't know what they did wtih honeycomb, but that was a very laggy-feeling release.  The asus felt like a new, better device with the ICS update.  

On more modern hardware, I'd expect ICS to do a bit better than GB because it's more able to work in multicore mode.  

For someone who has no tablet just now and an interest in tinkering, the advantage of the HD/HD+ over other devices comes down to quality of screen and microSD slot.  At the price it's being sold for, the device would be feature-competitive once running an alternate rom although the lack of GPS would take certain very valuable things off the table, even running an alternate ROM.

I am very curious to see what Apple is announcing soon, though.  I'm also hearing interesting things about the Samsung tablet that may emerge as a Nexus tablet.  If the rumors are accurate that SDcards can't be included on a nexus device, that's really too bad - especially what I've heard about why that's the case.

The rationale for not doing it seems to be every bit as thickheaded as some of Gates and Jobs decisions:  the folks at Google don't like dialog booxes asking where to save things.  They are apparently also opposed to file managers.  Everything ought to be a database, not an object.  Very googly. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
DeanGibson

roustabout wrote:

The rationale for not doing it seems to be every bit as thickheaded as some of Gates and Jobs decisions:  the folks at Google don't like dialog booxes asking where to save things.  They are apparently also opposed to file managers.  Everything ought to be a database, not an object.  Very googly. 

When you "dumb-down" a device (or software), people that don't want a "dumbed-down" device (or software) look elsewhere.

I think a number of recent GUI decisions in the industry, are by companies trying to grab the very last unsophisticated customer, not realizing that they are losing customers at the other end of the pipe.

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
If you take responsibiity, manage and maintain your data your expenses are sporadic. The opprotunity for a monthly subscription is lost. Having options cannot be encouraged. Everthing must be licensed from the cloud.
Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat

DeanGibson wrote:

roustabout wrote:

When you "dumb-down" a device (or software), people that don't want a "dumbed-down" device (or software) look elsewhere.

I think a number of recent GUI decisions in the industry, are by companies trying to grab the very last unsophisticated customer, not realizing that they are losing customers at the other end of the pipe.

There's a remarkably simple solution to this apparent problem, one that works for nearly any kind of software. Provide two modes: novice and expert. In novice mode (the default) the software makes all these pesky decisions on behalf of the user. In expert mode the user gets to tweak the settings.

Since this solution has been widely known and available for decades, any company (***cough***Google***cough***) that decides to treat all users as novices is just demonstrating an arrogant and autocratic mindset.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
DeanGibson

Sun_Cat wrote:

There's a remarkably simple solution to this apparent problem, one that works for nearly any kind of software. Provide two modes: novice and expert.

Since this solution has been widely known and available for decades, ...

But how would someone who is 23 years old with a brand new MBA and looking to increase the value of their stock options, know that ???