Contributor
DubiumInfinity
0 Kudos

Is there a reason there are so many software issues with the Tablet?

[ Edited ]
It seems to me that there is an extremely large amount of glitches and problems with much of the NT' s content ranging from mildly irritating to immensely irritating all the way to downright handicapping. Is this just how B&N normally are with their software? Why does it seem like after every software update, things get worse? If I felt like B&N actually cared and was trying to solve the issues, that would make it almost bearable.
xQ
New User
xQ
0 Kudos

Re: Is there a reason there are so many software issues with the Tablet?

Well, let me know what's going on and I can try to help?

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

What problems are you having?  So far, my wife hasn't had any problems with hers.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Distinguished Scribe
Schwa

I'd like to know what specific problems the OP means as well.  While there are certainly quite a few consumer preferences that need addressed, the Nook line is far from unuseable (which seems to be insinuated by this post.) 

Might I point you to, say, the Pandigital, the Koby, or the Archos as some fine examples of products that are, in my opinion, actually terrible?

GDJ
Inspired Contributor
GDJ
0 Kudos

I don't know whether the glitches are the result of B&N's effort at customizing the OS or whether they are inherent in Android generally.  (I've never had another Android device.)

Anyone that spends any time on this forum should surely recognize that there are several issues.  I have a Nook Color and could make a pretty good list myself.  This is not to say that my device is unusable at all, I enjoy it a lot actually, but there are things it does that would seem relatively easy to fix if the engineers or programmers would really give it some thought and time.

Frequent Contributor
LoganK

I really like my Nook Tablet, and I find the functionality to be beyond the capabilities of most other products, but I agree there are bugs:

• The battery drain issue continues to be a problem, and I don't have a good workaround other than turning it off when I won't be using it.
  • Small highlights (say only a few words) can't be selected again for deletion
  • The Look Up feature will often get "stuck", disallowing future lookups until you change to another book and back. This is often related to typing your own word into the Look Up box.
  • There are sections of the screen (particularly near the edges) where you can't tap links because they are always treated as page turns. Since the useful Back functionality goes away after about three seconds (not enough time to read a footnote), I'm often stuck navigating back to the original page manually.
  • Books opened from the home screen are often treated as different than opening the same book via any other method. (In other words, the "home screen books" get their own last-read page, annotations, etc.). This may only be for user content ... I'm not quite sure.
  • When opening a book from the recent reads list, it always opens the book with the B&N application even if a different default application was selected. (This is only a problem for PDF books.)

That's just off the top of my head. I haven't even bothered report most of the issues because I feel that B&N is not interested in customer bug reports. They are going to do their own thing, and do it pretty well, but the customer is not a part of that process.