Bibliophile
5ivedom

Re: Is there a way to read Kindle books on the NOOK?

This is so true:

When you buy a DRM-stripping tool, you are paying someone else, in a documented fashion, to help you break the law. 

As is MacMcK's point. You'll get your credit card stolen. If they are OK breaking the law and selling you DRM breaking software, then they'll be MORE likely to steal your credit card information.

Reader
Triceratops
0 Kudos

There should be no reason to buy drm stripping software.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

TnTexas: When it first came out, you could find a setting that allowed you to install non-B&N apps. About a month later, B&N fixed the so-called "bug" and that's no longer possible so unless you root the device, the only way you can  use the Kindle app on a Tablet or Color now is to buy or make a dual boot SD card that allows you to run a full android system on it. (In android mode, the device is running off the SD card instead of the device's stock operating system - kind of like wearing a mask.)

Since this thread has come back to life, thought I should update my post for those who might peek in before it fades into oblivion again. The information about the Nook Tablet is still correct. However, the Nook HDs and HD+s now provide access to the Google Play Store and the Kindle app can be easily downloaded and installed from there directly onto the device - no rooting or dual boot SD card needed.

New User
Soosan
0 Kudos

Thank you, for the information. The Nook was a gift from my children. I couldn't possibly turn it down. They couldn't afford the expensive Kindle. But I keep getting these free book messages, but it is for Kindle.

You have been very helpful.

Frequent Contributor
rfortson

Thank you, for the information. The Nook was a gift from my children. I couldn't possibly turn it down. They couldn't afford the expensive Kindle. But I keep getting these free book messages, but it is for Kindle.

You have been very helpful.

Nook has free books every Friday.  There are posts around here about that.

A3A
Inspired Scribe
A3A

Here is a link to the "Free NOOKbook summary thread - please no OT" ~~~~ http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Book-Discussion/Free-NOOKbook-summary-thread-please-no-O...
Contributor
kmoody83

If you have a nook hd or hd+, it is in your google play app store as a downloadable app

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 527
Solutions: 40
0 Kudos

Distinguished Correspondent
lochnez
0 Kudos

kmoody83 wrote:

If you have a nook hd or hd+, it is in your google play app store as a downloadable app

Very true. Adding the Google Play Store to the HD/HD+ made it possible to download the Kindle reading app to your device. I think a lot of people think you can only get the Kindle reader from the Amazon App Store, but this is not true.

New User
Tudon1
0 Kudos

I too use Calibre with the special plug-in for Kindle books and it works just fine....just google it and download Calibre if you haven't already.  :smileywink:

Wordsmith
KingAl

This may or may not bother your conscience, but using that Calibre plugin to strip DRM violates the Digital Millenium Copyright Act.
Wordsmith
Tim40744

KingAl wrote:
This may or may not bother your conscience, but using that Calibre plugin to strip DRM violates the Digital Millenium Copyright Act.

I suppose someone could sue you if they actually watched you poofing away "teh dirty" using Apprentice Alf tools. However, unless you're playing Johnny Appleseed with your disinfected books, that's not going to happen. My conscience doesn't have a problem in making all my books work with all my devices. YMMV

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

Tim40744 wrote:

KingAl wrote:

I suppose someone could sue you if they actually watched you poofing away "teh dirty" using Apprentice Alf tools. However, unless you're playing Johnny Appleseed with your disinfected books, that's not going to happen. My conscience doesn't have a problem in making all my books work with all my devices. YMMV

I think his point was that folks should be informed about what they're doing so that they can make the choice that's right for them.

Wordsmith
Tim40744

keriflur wrote:

I think his point was that folks should be informed about what they're doing so that they can make the choice that's right for them.

Yes, I agree. Although I didn't make it particularly well, my point was this:

if you use Calibre/plugins to protect your investment and you aren't "sharing" with everyone, there really is no need to feel guilty. Personally, I don't have any patience when people take that opportunity to share deDRMed books with friends, neighbors, and strangers. The author deserves his/her payday for their many hours of hard work. As long as you do the right the right thing, Calibre with magic plugins is a great tool if your favorite vendor goes kaput in the night, your books are safe, or you get a new reader and want to use any/all your books/formats on it, you can easily load them.

That being said, if anyone still feels guilty about trying it, don't do it. It's never a good idea to go against your own conscience.

Correspondent
yarnmama
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I totally agree with your point. I do buy almost all of my books from B&N right now but who knows what the future holds. I have a right to protect my investment. I totally believe that the author is worthy of their pay and advocate supporting their endeavors. I would never "share" my books publicly as it would be unethical. Hopefully most who use these tools are of the same ethics. It's truly sad that there are so many dishonest or misguided people who do such things.

Contributor
jofallon763
0 Kudos

They said all the same things about music files. Now none of them have DRM. If BN folds, I don't want to lose access to my paid-for books. Ditto if BN gets out of the nook business. Office Depot told me they're no longer carrying nook stuff. The local BN stores are heavily discounting the color tablets and selling the touch covers for $15 or less. One could wish there was a generic e-ink reader that could read any file. For now we have Calibre plus plug-ins. Speaking as someone on his fourth nook, two of which died young...
Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

jofallon763 wrote:
They said all the same things about music files. Now none of them have DRM. If BN folds, I don't want to lose access to my paid-for books. Ditto if BN gets out of the nook business.

Well, that's the beautiful thing about the DRM scheme that B&N uses, it's not linked to any of their servers, all you need is the unlock code.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Contributor
baltoreader
0 Kudos

Yes, you can download a Kindle app directly from Amazon onto your Nook HD. You could also buy an N2A card for your Nook & download a Kindle app.
Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat

baltoreader wrote:
Yes, you can download a Kindle app directly from Amazon onto your Nook HD. You could also buy an N2A card for your Nook & download a Kindle app.

I don't believe that the Kindle app from the Amazon store will install on the HD/HD+, but the Kindle app is available in th e Google Play Store.  I believe that the  N2A and AFN cards will allow apps from either store to be installed (never tried it on my NC but I could shop in either store).

Reader 2
DavidINTucson
0 Kudos

I did download the Kindle app from Google Play, and all of my Kindle books that I had on my phone now are available on my Nook HD+ as well.  Very simple process!  Thanks to whomever contributed that solution.