Frequent Contributor
kcladyz
0 Kudos

Is there a way to read Kindle books on the NOOK?

I had a nook color and bought a Kindle Fire when I learned that I can shut of the security settings to load non-kindle apps and I have now the nook app on the kinde and I can read nook books on it. I would consider buying a Nook tablet if they allowed me to read kindle books on it somehow?  if they would at least alow read only-no purchase it will be easier to intice kindle users to give the nook a try?

Wordsmith
TnTexas

Re: Is there a way to read Kindle books on the NOOK?

When it first came out, you could find a setting that allowed you to install non-B&N apps. About a month later, B&N fixed the so-called "bug" and that's no longer possible so unless you root the device, the only way you can  use the Kindle app on a Tablet or Color now is to buy or make a dual boot SD card that allows you to run a full android system on it. (In android mode, the device is running off the SD card instead of the device's stock operating system - kind of like wearing a mask.) 

Frequent Contributor
byter67

As an altrernative to a do-it-yourself project you might consider purchasing an N2A or AFN card for a Nook tablet. AFN is less expensive and AFN will preinstall the Nook and Kindle reader apps on the card for you if requested. As mentioned, these apps will run from the SD card under Android.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

I believe Nook and Kindle apps come on the N2A card too.

Wordsmith
PJLLB
0 Kudos

They are in the Google Play Store and available for any CN 7 SD card. There are cheaper alternatives ti N2A.
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

kcladyz wrote:

I had a nook color and bought a Kindle Fire when I learned that I can shut of the security settings to load non-kindle apps and I have now the nook app on the kinde and I can read nook books on it. I would consider buying a Nook tablet if they allowed me to read kindle books on it somehow?  if they would at least alow read only-no purchase it will be easier to intice kindle users to give the nook a try?

The short answer is that there's no officially support means of doing this. If you're willing to do some work, it can be done in a number of ways:

1. Convert the Kindle books to epub format. The free Calibre software can do this, but you must remove DRM (copy protection), if any, on the ebook. Laws on removing DRM vary by country. The process is trivial.

2. Root your device. This will allow you to install 3rd party apps from the Google Play Store, including the Kindle Android app. This voids your warranty, but you retain the full B&N functionality.

3. Boot alternate firmware from uSD card (e.g. AFN). This will allow you to install 3rd party apps as well, but you are booting into a completely different OS. You will lose the B&N shell and reading integration. Some B&N functionality is provided by the B&N NOOK Android app, but a number of things are more limited, and some content isn't available for non-B&N firmware. You can still boot back into the B&N firmware, and don't jeapordize your warranty, but the two environments are separate.

4. Don't buy a NOOK. Buy a device that gives you unfettered access to the Amazon and Google apps, including both the Kindle and B&N NOOK apps (and Kobo and others). Again, you lose some of the functionality of the B&N firmware. Very competitive devices with additional hardware capabilities (bluetooth, GPS, camera) can be found for $250 list, and more are coming.

Contributor
rocky1234

buy the samsung 7in - it is what the nook should have been

Frequent Contributor
kcladyz
0 Kudos

Its best to just stick with my awesome kindle. Downloading apps without having to set up a n2a card is the way to go. No jumping threw hoops with the Kindle Fire.

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 517
Solutions: 40
0 Kudos

anyone read THE UNIVERSE HANDBOOK FOR HUMANS @KINDLE.COM

Wordsmith
BruceMcF

kcladyz wrote:

Its best to just stick with my awesome kindle. Downloading apps without having to set up a n2a card is the way to go. No jumping threw hoops with the Kindle Fire.

If what you want is the Kindle ecosystem, then, yes, even though the B&N displays are better, and they have card slots, the Kindletabs are still the way to go.

BN_AlexG
0 Kudos

This message has been moved for Violation of Community Guidelines. - Spam/Solicitation

Reader 2
just_jess
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

In Google Play you can download the Kindle for Android app. You can then add Kindle items directly from your Amazon account to the Nook.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

just_jess wrote:

In Google Play you can download the Kindle for Android app. You can then add Kindle items directly from your Amazon account to the Nook.

Only if your NOOK is one of the HD line.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Or if your Nook is rooted, at least I can install it via play.google.com to my rooted NSTG.  I've not tested to see if it'll work but I don't see why it wouldn't.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
bobstro
0 Kudos

Over on XDA there have been some discussions about which version of the Kindle app is required, and what features work or don't with each version. It *can* work, but from my understanding, not particularly well.

Of course, you can load the Kindle app on a rooted NC or NT as well. Put alternate firmware on one of those, and you can run whatever you like as well.

BN_AlexG
0 Kudos

roustabout

Agreed that for the e-ink devices conversion to epub is best.

However, the Simple Touch and Simple Touch Glow can both run the Kindle app if they're rooted, although I dont' like the app on the NST/NSTG.  

Rather than buying a conversion tool, you can simply use correctly configured plugins for Calibre as long as you have the Kindle software installed on a computer that is also running Calibre. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
keriflur

roustabout wrote:

Rather than buying a conversion tool, you can simply use correctly configured plugins for Calibre as long as you have the Kindle software installed on a computer that is also running Calibre. 

Yes, there is no reason to ever pay for conversion or DRM-stripping.

When you buy a DRM-stripping tool, you are paying someone else, in a documented fashion, to help you break the law.  Think about the logic in that before you do it.  There are plenty of tools to help you remove DRM for free - all you have to do is google to find them.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

It is also worth noting that the people who keep regularly posting ads and/or links for software to convert ebooks don't look legit. Their websites are amateurish, with very bad English and constantly changing URLs. Rather than giving them a credit card, save your money and identity, and get Calibre, which is free and does everything their alleged software claims to do.
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Calibre is also loaded with other features, and has an extremely active development. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.