New User
DconIA
0 Kudos

JAVA

Can you download JAVA on a Nook Tablet? If so, what Operating System is the Tablet?

Frequent Contributor
stolenmoment
0 Kudos

Re: JAVA

Wrong forum, but: all Nooks run a nailed-down version of Android, and so all apps are written in java.

There isn't a native app development environment on stock devices. The OS can be replaced with an open version; see http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=864 for enlightenment. It's not suitable for those who don't do their own research.
Bibliophile
5ivedom

Nook Color is Android 2.2 with a Skinned OS/UI layer on top of it.

Nook Tablet is Android 2.3

Nook HD is Android 4.0.3.

Nook HD+ is Android 4.0.3.

Why do you want to download Java?

Reader 2
Jojo480
0 Kudos

To play games on pogo.com.
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If you root your NT, you cantry the pogo Android app from the Google Play Store.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

If all Android apps are written in Java, then mustn't all Android devices have a Java Runtime Environment (Java Virtual Machine) installed in order to execute those Java apps?  If one is not developing new Java apps, then one doesn't need a Java compiler, right?

Am I missing something, here?

bobstro
0 Kudos

I don't think Java is the real problem. The pogo.com makes extensive use of javascript, which might indicate a deficiency in the NT browser. The pogo app from the store, presumably written in Java or some sort of web framework using Java, can't be installed (readily) on an unrooted NT. Either way, the OP is stuck.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980
0 Kudos

Android SDK, while based (heavily) on Java, is not Java.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

After a little research on Android, I found the following:

"Android is open source and Google releases the code under the Apache License."  Apache is, I believe, open-source Web server software. 

"Additionally, Android has a large community of developers writing applications ("apps") that extend the functionality of devices, written primarily in a customized version of the Java programming language."

"Applications are developed in the Java language using the Android software development kit (SDK)."

"Android uses the Dalvik virtual machine with just-in-time compilation to run Dalvik 'dex-code' (Dalvik Executable), which is usually translated from Java bytecode."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_%28operating_system%29

Unless I am not understanding this correctly, that implies that Java programs are routinely run on Android devices. 

Since the Java byte-code and the Dalvik dex-code are intermediate languages that must be interpreted, Android must include an interpreter (virtual machine) of some sort that is capable of interpreting these codes.  That interpreter appears to be the "Dalvik Virtual Machine."  Is it the case that the DVM is not capable of executing Java byte-code?  If it is, then what additional software would be needed to translate byte-code to dex-code, as is indicated by the statement above that was taken from Wikipedia?

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
  1. Android apps are typically written in Java (though not exclusively).
  2. The Android SDK is not the same thing as the Java JRE, which seems to be what the OP is after. An Android development environment will typically have both installed.
  3. Pogo.com appears, at quick look, to be using javascript extensively. I'm not convinced it uses Java at all, particularly Java applets in the typical browser-delivered sense.
  4. Javascript is most decidedly not Java. If a web site makes extensive use of javascript and/or HTML5+CSS3, it may not need Java at all, but will require a modern browser such as Google Chrome or Firefox. While I haven't tested it, I doubt the stock NC browser would work.
  5. Installing "java" on the OP's NT won't fix his/her problem.

We don't need 12 pages of pedantic parsing of semantic subtleties (PPSS). Everybody's right. Everybody's wrong. The OP is stuck without rooting no matter how much we cut & paste from wikipedia.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:
  1. Android apps are typically written in Java (though not exclusively).
  2. The Android SDK is not the same thing as the Java JRE, which seems to be what the OP is after. An Android development environment will typically have both installed.
  3. Pogo.com appears, at quick look, to be using javascript extensively. I'm not convinced it uses Java at all, particularly Java applets in the typical browser-delivered sense.
  4. Javascript is most decidedly not Java. If a web site makes extensive use of javascript and/or HTML5+CSS3, it may not need Java at all, but will require a modern browser such as Google Chrome or Firefox. While I haven't tested it, I doubt the stock NC browser would work.
  5. Installing "java" on the OP's NT won't fix his/her problem.

We don't need 12 pages of pedantic parsing of semantic subtleties (PPSS). Everybody's right. Everybody's wrong. The OP is stuck without rooting no matter how much we cut & paste from wikipedia.

So sorry that you take offense when somebody tries to understand or explain something that might not be clear to everybody.

Why would the OP need a Java SDK?  How would that, necessarily, help?

Is it true that ALL Android devices have the Dalvik Virtual Machine (DVM) installed in order to run apps?  Could the DVM also run Java byte-code?

Is it the case that none of the browsers available for the NOOK products has the ability to execute JavaScript?

Is it pedantic to try to explain complex concepts clearly and without error?

Just wondering ...

bobstro
0 Kudos

Because this is a support forum

[ Edited ]

Taking a detour down the path of tearing apart the intricacies of the relationship of Java to Android applications and development isn't going to help the OP one bit. The OP probably doesn't need Java per-se. It would be more helpful if we could elicit more specifics from the OP to actually help with the problem.

I think it'd be a fine topic of discussion on its own, or at least worthy of a subject change, but the OP is asking for help solving an actual problem. Anybody similarly trying to get web games running on their device is probably going to glaze over at the technical details. Threadjacking is rude.

This discussion isn't bad, Deesy. It's just not overly helpful to the OP. I'll heed my own advice and start a new discussion on the whole JVM versus DVM thing.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Re: Because this is a support forum

Since the OP was made in 2012, it is difficult to imagine how the thread could possibly be hijacked.  Even if it was, it appears that you and at least one other poster participated in the hijack, IMO. 

One thing is clear, however.  The poster who inquired about playing games on pogo.com probably did not receive any useful information from anybody on this thread, unless that poster now understands the differences between Java applications and Android a bit better then he/she did before.  How would that be a bad thing? 

Your immediate advice was for the poster to root his/her NOOK Tablet.  How is that good or useful advice, especially in view of your later posts regarding Javascript?  My posts were in the vein of seeking clarification, and not obfuscation.  I asked questions that I believed were on-topic.  I'm sorry that you apparently did not understand that.

The question that I posed, and that which has never been answered to any degree of clarity, is whether an Android device is inherently capable of executing Java byte-code, and if it is, what would the poster have to do (short of rooting his/her NOOK Tablet) that would allow him/her to play the games he/she wishes to play.  If it is not possible, and if you know that it is not possible, then why not just say so?

I do not pretend to be an expert on Android and Java.  I believe that I asked legitimate questions that might help the poster find a solution (if one is really available).  You and flyingtoastr have made two diametrically opposed assertions: Android does use Java programs; Android does not use Java programs. I found additional information on Wikipedia that I shared.  I am still not at all sure whether a NOOK Tablet can be made to run gaming software on pogo.com.  Is anybody?

My apologies if you misunderstood my intentions. 

bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: Because this is a support forum

deesy58 wrote:

Since the OP was made in 2012,

My mistake. I meant jojo's issue with pogo.com. I though he/she was the OP.

it is difficult to imagine how the thread could possibly be hijacked.  Even if it was, it appears that you and at least one other poster participated in the hijack, IMO. 

When somebody's asking for help, I think it's impolite to essentially say "never mind your problem, let me talk about what interests me."

One thing is clear, however.  The poster who inquired about playing games on pogo.com probably did not receive any useful information from anybody on this thread, unless that poster now understands the differences between Java applications and Android a bit better then he/she did before.  How would that be a bad thing? 

Yes, that level of information may have been helpful. I was referring more to our ongoing deep-dive into the differences between JVM and DVM. This isn't an argument, Deesy. I'm just saying that it would be more polite if we could agree do start a new thread for these deep-dives rather than shifting the topic irrevocably away from the issue somebody is having an actual problem with. How many of those 12 page threads started with a plea for help, only to be derailed on page 2?

Your immediate advice was for the poster to root his/her NOOK Tablet.  How is that good or useful advice, especially in view of your later posts regarding Javascript?

At the time I advised that, the question was "installing Java", which might have meant installing non-B&N apps (it's not clear). It was jojo that added pogo.com later in the discussion, as you noted above. Pogo.com appears to require a more featureful browser and javascript.

My posts were in the vein of seeking clarification, and not obfuscation.  I asked questions that I believed were on-topic.  I'm sorry that you apparently did not understand that.

So you thought delving into JVM versus DVM would help get apps running on a NC?

The question that I posed, and that which has never been answered to any degree of clarity, is whether an Android device is inherently capable of executing Java byte-code,

As we're discussing in the other thread, the answer is "it depends". Even if so, how would a user having a problem running apps get Java byte code onto their device? And why would they if it's Android or Javascript code they're trying to run?

and if it is, what would the poster have to do (short of rooting his/her NOOK Tablet) that would allow him/her to play the games he/she wishes to play.  If it is not possible, and if you know that it is not possible, then why not just say so?

I said repeatedly that browser capabilities seem to be the issue for Jojo. See more below.

I do not pretend to be an expert on Android and Java.  I believe that I asked legitimate questions that might help the poster find a solution (if one is really available).  You and flyingtoastr have made two diametrically opposed assertions: Android does use Java programs; Android does not use Java programs.

FT and I are not at odds. Most Android apps are written using the Java language. (More in other thread, where it belongs.) The Android SDK exposes Android APIs to those programs.

I found additional information on Wikipedia that I shared.  I am still not at all sure whether a NOOK Tablet can be made to run gaming software on pogo.com.  Is anybody?

Again, the details on Java and Android won't matter one whit if a web app requires Javascript or other browser features/plugins and the browser doesn't support it.

The (2012) OPs question as to whether Java "can be installed" can be answered easily as "Not on a stock (unrooted) NC." Whether "installing Java" makes sense is the real problem is impossible to say without more info, which the OP is unlikely to provide.

Jojo's question regarding pogo.com games most likely is going to depend on the browser. I don't have a stock NC to compare, nor an NC handy this week to see if any other browser on a rooted NC will work. I can tell you that launching the pogo.com web site on a device with a modern browser (A Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 running Firefox) gives a prompt to install the Pogo app from the Google Play Store, which Jojo could possibly do if rooted. The games run from that app just fine.

Alternately, to play in a browser, Jojo will still need to be rooted to install a different browser. Depending on the details of how the site is configured, he/she may have to fight with flash, javascript, HTML5 and/or other browser issues.

Anybody that cares to can (hopefully) see that being rooted is a requirement in either case. Thus my earlier suggestion.

My apologies if you misunderstood my intentions.

They're pretty clear.