New User
hearlarson
0 Kudos

Just Unwrapped a Nook Simple Touch that is Stuck in "A New Software Update is Being Installed" State

I had setup (registered, checked out library ebooks, etc) my daughter's NST so she could jump right into reading a good book.  She just unwrapped it on Christmas morning to find it stuck in a state where it claims to be installing updates.  It is not responsive. (It was wrapped for several weeks in a sleep state, connected to my wi-fi.)  From the quick searches I read, it should not take more than a few minutes to update.  It's been over an hour.  The update screen says not to power off the device.  I couldn't even do that by holding down the power button. 

It worked fine for me prior to this morning...  Not sure when it would have started... my daughter said she only saw the installation screen.

Is this a normal installation process?

Is anybody else having this problem?

Help!

hearlarson

Frequent Contributor
geertm

Re: Just Unwrapped a Nook Simple Touch that is Stuck in "A New Software Update is Being Install

hearlarson wrote:

I had setup (registered, checked out library ebooks, etc) my daughter's NST so she could jump right into reading a good book.  She just unwrapped it on Christmas morning to find it stuck in a state where it claims to be installing updates.  It is not responsive. (It was wrapped for several weeks in a sleep state, connected to my wi-fi.)  From the quick searches I read, it should not take more than a few minutes to update.  It's been over an hour.  The update screen says not to power off the device.  I couldn't even do that by holding down the power button. 

It worked fine for me prior to this morning...  Not sure when it would have started... my daughter said she only saw the installation screen.

Is this a normal installation process?

Is anybody else having this problem?

Help!

hearlarson

The battery is probably low. An e-ink screen needs no power to show a picture. Connect the Nook to the charger for a few hours, and your problem will probably be solved.

New User
hearlarson
0 Kudos

Re: Just Unwrapped a Nook Simple Touch that is Stuck in "A New Software Update is Being Install

Thanks.  Great idea.  Will re-post to let you know how it turns out.

hearlarson

New User
hearlarson
0 Kudos

That was it.  Duh!

Thanks,

hearlarson

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

hearlarson wrote:

That was it.  Duh!

Thanks,

hearlarson

I am glad I could help you.

Merry Christmas!

New User
Scully_Mac
0 Kudos

The Nook I purchased for my mom as a gift was doing the same thing. I didn't think the battery could be low--but you were right! Plugging it in did the trick. Thank you for saving me from what would have been a fruitless 2-hour phone conversation with customer service tomorrow!