New User
IndyLibrarian
0 Kudos

Just doesn't work

As a librarian, I can not and do not recommend this product to my patrons.  The product itself is faulty, and the customer service and return policies are very poor.

My mother loved her Nook Color so much, she offered to buy me either the Color or the Touch.  I went with the Touch, thought something simpler would be nice, since I work around computers all day.  I was wrong.  Within the first 20 days, my Nook started to devour battery power.  I was told when I bought it I had 30 days to return it for a new one, but apparently, they changed that.  I was offered a refurbished product to replace a brand new one, which I thought was really cheap of them, and not good customer service.  Then, I was told it was a software issue, and would be resolved soon, so I held on to my Nook.  One software update and two other fixes later, and it STILL drains the battery by the minute, lasting only about 8 hours, instead of the promised 2 months.  I was told to call the warrenty dept, but that was a wasted call - they only repeated what had already been said, and also pointed out I'd now had the unit for 90 days.  Well, yes I did, but it didn't work MOST of that time, and I only kept it because they kept saying it would be fixed!  And yes, the wifi was OFF, it's rarely on, actually.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Re: Just doesn't work

1) This is a rant, not an issue report. Fine, rant away. Just have the decency to do it in the right forum.

2) Return and warranty polices are easily available before purchase with a little research. Research is something most librarians are accustomed to and, generally, proficient at. Neither of them should have come as a surprise. Also, B&N's policies in these areas are typical for the industry.

3) Your unit is possibly having battery issues. Again, a little research would have shown this is a not uncommon problem.

So, to sum up: the "product," in general, is not faulty; you have an individual unit with a fault. The return and warranty policies are not very poor, at least when compared to industry norms; they are fairly typical.

This leaves you with a complaint about customer service. Which, shaving off the idea of their policies as a reflection of that service, is pretty valid. In that B&N is atrocious with getting everyone on the same page about the existence, causes, and fixes of issues.

But that's not a device "issue," that's a service issue. There are better ways/places to address that than this particular board.

You're entitled to your rants, opinions, withholding of recommendation, whatever. Just please confine it to the appropriate boards. Say, the general discussion area?